Author Topic: How did the season go this year?  (Read 1810 times)

Offline JohnW

How did the season go this year?
« on: January 15, 2011, 06:52:21 PM »
So hows everyone who's dogs work (Beating/Picking up) progressed this season?  Has it all gone to plan as you had wished, Raven's last day is February 1st in Northumberland, He has come on so much this year and while I did a bit of beating with him last season he has been picking up all this year 4 times a week through wind, rain, sleet and snow (Snow permitting lol) and what a change I have noticed in his personality much more confident as a dog. And very lean and muscular and even faster than last year, cant wait to see how he gets on with Flyball this year.  :shades:

Offline hanandhen

Re: How did the season go this year?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 07:06:50 PM »
Henry is not scared of guns, and knows he is meant to be looking for pheasants :lol2: On the other hand, he seems to have little concept of paying attention to me in the heat of the moment... we'll work on it ;) He can be so good when there isn't the added excitement of guns and more than one other dog, so I know he can do it.

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 05:27:26 PM »
2 more shoots for the boys yet.......Finn has been brilliant, hubby had the chance to be a walking gun on a few shoots and has Finn has also done a couple of picking up days instead of beating and so far, fingers and paws crossed, no injuries :banana:

Alfie has excelled himself...far beyond our expectations.....this is only his 2nd year, last year he only went a couple of times as we were introducing him slowly as he was gun nervous.  He still does not like the really thick stuff on one of the shoots which is the last drive but since he's ripped his chest open twice this year, we can't blame him!  The ginger boy might just have it after all :005: :005:

The boys did us proud ;)

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 05:30:34 PM »
Well done both of you. Love to hear how working cockers do what they were originally bred for.

Eve

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
Can't believe it's nearly finished already  :-\

Offline Cath

• Site Member
  • Breagh
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 02:44:29 PM »
 :-\ last shoot next Saturday, it was late in the season before I managed to secure some beating. This was Breagh's first season and I have loved taking her beating. She is getting quieter each shoot  :D yeeha, and everyone loves her. I get such a high from a day out with her.

I've managed to secure beating and picking up closer to home next season so that will be great. Little Caoimhe should be ready to be out in the field then too. Exciting times to come. It's great to see them out there doing what they are supposed to be doing  :D

Murron

Nothing beats the unconditional love of our doey eyed spaniels.
Cath, Breagh, Caoimhe and my angel at the bridge Milly.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 07:06:38 PM »
Well Caoimhe's season definitely went according to plan :shades: :005:  She's on rest now for a while and I'm putting a bit of weight back on her, she'll start proper training again around the summertime for going into open trials next season.

Rodaidh's was a bit interrupted this year with us moving down to Bucks in October. It took me a while to get myself organised and find some contacts but luckily the OH of our department manager goes beating and he very kindly put me in touch with a couple of gamekeepers. I got Ro out a couple of times before Christmas and then we were out again last Saturday and are going again for the next two before the season finishes. I can only do Saturdays at the moment because of work but I'll be a bit better organised for next year and will get him out more regularly again. He's just turned 4 and he's just fantastic to work with, he really knows what he's doing and gets right into the thick of it when beating; he's very fit and fast but he's rock steady and trustworthy, he's very tuned into me and I love working with him. I've had a lot of great comments about him on the shoots down here, we got ourselves invited back every week and for next season so he's made a good impression :D
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 08:13:57 AM »
Well Caoimhe's season definitely went according to plan :shades: :005:  She's on rest now for a while and I'm putting a bit of weight back on her, she'll start proper training again around the summertime for going into open trials next season.

Rodaidh's was a bit interrupted this year with us moving down to Bucks in October. It took me a while to get myself organised and find some contacts but luckily the OH of our department manager goes beating and he very kindly put me in touch with a couple of gamekeepers. I got Ro out a couple of times before Christmas and then we were out again last Saturday and are going again for the next two before the season finishes. I can only do Saturdays at the moment because of work but I'll be a bit better organised for next year and will get him out more regularly again. He's just turned 4 and he's just fantastic to work with, he really knows what he's doing and gets right into the thick of it when beating; he's very fit and fast but he's rock steady and trustworthy, he's very tuned into me and I love working with him. I've had a lot of great comments about him on the shoots down here, we got ourselves invited back every week and for next season so he's made a good impression :D

We find this with Finn too after the season.....and he wasn't worked liked Caiomhe.........one of the reasons for his nickname actually....Ratty boy - all bedraggled and skinny..............shows you how fit they are if even little well balanced dogs lose weight.....maybe I should try it ph34r

Offline JohnW

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 06:21:21 PM »
Well all over now and Raven is now resting, although he may well be doing a little bit more work through March with the rabbits and some rough shooting to improve his steadiness ...... he has done fantastic though and was working flat out through January, sometimes 5 days a week as December wasnt brilliant with snow and the shoots were playing catch up ...... he is very lean presently and is now relaxing and on a diet to build him up again ........  :D

Offline milly

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 10:48:47 AM »
Mines a late reply, moved house so been off line for a while.
Paddy started well, then gained in confidence and on a couple of drives got a bit cocky and pulled too far out. The last shoot we did was a walked up shoot in Lincolnshire, very flat ground which is our danger place so I concentrated on keeping him close, even pulling him into heel if he got giddy. He flushed a hare and let it go but on one drive he flushed one and followed  :'( Still got some work to do there but overall he was a diamond. Strangely enough he was the only spaniel on the shoot, mostly labs and 2 HPRs, he was worth his weight in gold in the woods and worked his heart out.

He's had a couple of flights on the solway and river this year with us and the lab and one without the lab, amazingly has sat quiet for long periods, I thought he'd struggle with that but he doesn't mind.
Milly