Author Topic: First Scurry - What to expect?  (Read 1248 times)

Offline redlottie

First Scurry - What to expect?
« on: April 08, 2011, 04:39:42 PM »
We are heading to the Gamekeepers Fair at Catton Park on Sunday and I am hopefully going to let Otto have a go in his first scurry.  We do gundog training and he has successful passed grade one and two and absolutely loves it.  He marks, retrieves and hunts lovely at the trainers and other places we go so I hope he will do himself proud.

We are only really doing it for a bit of fun because he loves it but I am already finding my competitive nature creeping in as we have done extra training this week  ;)

Anyway was really just putting the feelers out there to see if anyone had any top tips or recommendations.  Also, Albie is only 8 months but has been doing gundog training since he was 5 months old and has a wonderful mark and will retrieve anything from anywhere - does anyone know if he will be allowed to enter or whether he is too young?

Offline irsw 34

Re: First Scurry - What to expect?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 12:53:21 PM »
How did it go, what did you enter and most important did you enjoy it?   

Offline redlottie

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 01:01:59 PM »
Hi

It was great fun, really enjoyed it - us and the dogs.

We entered Otto in the long retrieve, multiple retrieve and double retrieve with a distraction.  Was all great fun, Otto tried to retieve the rabbit dummy on the distraction retrieve which was soooo cute.

Albie did the long retrieve which was his first time retrieving of a remote launcher or with a shot so he did really well aswell albeit a bit long for him.

Cant wait for the next one now...

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 01:05:40 PM »
Awww sounds like they both did really well for a first effort - bet you are very proud of your boys  :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline irsw 34

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 03:18:08 PM »
Glad you had a good time, i was there for the weekend and we also had a good time. Perfect weather. Brodie ran in the long retrieve which was very long indeed and also the obstical which he did as it should be done and not cheating by running down the outside then ducking under the fence for the dummies! very funny to watch and as i always say we go as entertainment value. Fun after a season working.