Author Topic: Working training dvds  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
Working training dvds
« on: April 17, 2011, 01:36:22 AM »
I'm sure I asked before but I can't find the thread. Can anyone please suggest training dvd's showing how to train cockers for working/gundog training, please?
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Working training dvds
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 10:03:45 PM »
Caoimhe's trainer has a set of DVDs, they are excellent but quite expensive (£100). I would say they're for serious/full-on gundog training so it depends what you're looking for really.

http://www.paulfrenchvideo.com/epages/BT2728.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT2728/Products/F123
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Mel

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 10:34:32 PM »
I would really like something with basics to expand Tali's skills. I obviously won't work him but it would be great to get him to do things like go to fetch something, stop on command then send him off in a different direction. I'm working on a 'sit, stay, come, stay, down', i.e. calling him and stopping him half way. But I'm not sure I'm doing things right and would like something to watch to gain some knowledge. Thanks.

Free Cake!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 11:08:04 PM »
Ah right, those DVDs are geared towards game training for work and competitions. Maybe a more general training DVD might be better for that kind of stuff.

Offline Mel

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 12:29:21 AM »
What would you suggest? I have never trained beyond very basic 'sit', 'stay', 'down', etc, and a few tricks. I really want to train him to be my right hand man, not just a pet. I would be very interested in any recommendations you have for basic working training dvd's so I can understand how they start to teach these things. Sorry I'm very tired and probably not very clear. I mean even novices to working training must start somewhere?

Free Cake!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 10:23:37 AM »
Hmmm, I can't think of any 'working' DVDs that cover that kind of stuff, I've never used DVDs for it. The ones I've got/seen may skim over it briefly before focussing on game work, gunshot etc. There's a 'Master Class' series with Edward Martin, the first one focusses on puppy training but it's stuff like walking on and off the lead and very basic training for young puppies up to around 8 or 9 months old. The next one shifts up to game, shooting etc. Does it have to be a DVD? I think joining a training club or having some 1 to 1 lessons to get you going would probably be more useful than a DVD.

Offline Mel

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 12:11:33 PM »
Yes that might be a good idea. We're off the a country fair in a few weeks and may be able to find out about clubs. I have tried everything I know to get Tali to have a soft jaw, although he's miles better, he could have an even softer one. I can't even ask where the OH works because they did very little training other than basics and not playing with toys(?) and he was taken on his first shoot, watched for a bit and copied the other dogs. :shades:

Free Cake!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 03:29:34 PM »
I have tried everything I know to get Tali to have a soft jaw, although he's miles better, he could have an even softer one. I can't even ask where the OH works because they did very little training other than basics and not playing with toys(?) and he was taken on his first shoot, watched for a bit and copied the other dogs. :shades:

A soft mouth isn't really something you can teach unfortunately although a true hard mouth is unusual these days in Cockers. The not playing with toys rule has something to do with this as letting them free play with toys as pups/youngsters - especially cuddly toys and even worse, squeaky toys - often encourages them to mouth and bite at things they're holding and makes their bite harder.

Offline riotous_uk

• Druidale GSDs and SWDs
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 05:20:59 PM »
Luckily playing with toys hasnt had that effect on Tank, and he held his first rabbit beautifully and with no mouthng. He was so gentle. He also plays tug with me, and still has a soft mouth for his gundog work.
Pauline
Member APDT 660
Pawsitively Dogs