Author Topic: Would a second dog make Sam more jealous of me?  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Skygazer

• Site Member
  • No empty yoghurt pot must go unlicked
Would a second dog make Sam more jealous of me?
« on: December 02, 2018, 04:36:03 PM »
Hello from Switzerland!

We are thinking of getting a second cocker so Sam (2y) has a playmate and for an extra dose of cuteness. Sam is a nice non agressive playful and well trained chap, but gets a bit jealous when anyone sits next to me, his mummy. No aggressiveness, tail is still wagging, but he moans and boxes the "intruder" with his front paws... He seems to think he is married to me and that my hubby comes home every evening in order to take Sam's rightful place! So they fight to sit next to me...

I think that a second dog is a good idea because it would break Sam's focus on me. We are together all day as I work from home. We hold paws and gaze into each others eyes...  :luv: A pup would help him understand that we are not married!

My husband thinks a new pup would make him even more jealous and that he might turn aggressive...

Our two daughters want a pup no matter what, obviously...

Has anyone ever been in this situation? Thanks for your advice!
Slave to Sam

Offline PennyB

Re: Would a second dog make Sam more jealous of me?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 12:32:01 PM »
I have a dog like this but its not an issue but its difficult to say whether it might be with you. May be before you get a pup use similar techniques for when people are having babies so its not a shock when an interloper arrives as in more hands off stuff and may be others in your family should have more input with your current dog to stop his overattachment to you
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!