Author Topic: Diarrhoea at night  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Gemmashear

Diarrhoea at night
« on: January 06, 2020, 02:35:46 PM »
Hi my 18 month old working cocker has been suffering with diarrhoea for the last few days but it seems to be a lot worse at night. We took him to the beach on new years day with his ball. He was picking up sand when getting his ball, but not huge amounts. The next morning when he had a poo there was sand in it then that night he was up 5 times with diarrhoea. He has had chicken and rice for 2 days and the diarrhoea seems to ease off during the day but becomes worse at night.
I also want to add that he sleeps in the kitchen at night and is very frightened of fireworks. I am wondering if the fireworks on new years eve have caused him stress and then since then everytime hs goes to bed in the kitchen at night he is associating this with the fireworks which is causing the diarrhoea.  He is fine in himself, eating, drinking and going for walks and chasing his ball.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated 😊

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Diarrhoea at night
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 06:39:08 PM »
Hello and welcome to COL.

The fireworks may well have upset your little man, could you move him at night for a couple of nights and see if that helps, then you will know if he is associating going to bed with stress....or not. have you tried something to ease his diarrhoea, like Prokolin for example.

Could he have picked something up with the sand?

Chicken  upsets my dogs, at any time so I usually give them either fish or turkey instead - maybe worth a go.

I would keep an eye on the situation and if it continues or gets worse, vet advice may be worth considering, to make sure there are no underlying causes.

Hope he is feeling better very soon

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 08:19:32 AM »
I think it might be the chicken. My Marley gets diarrhoea from just a little bit of chicken. He can eat turkey though and fish but nothing else really. Apparently a lot of dogs can't eat chicken. If he's had diarrhoea for more than three days I'd be taking him to the vet.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 07:30:43 PM »
Another one here who feels chicken is a problem.....not chicken dog food etc but actual chicken breast.  I now use either white fish and on occasion salmon all frozen and defrosted I use boiled white rice with white fish only for a couple of days.  Another stable is Dorwest tree bark powder(slippery elm) it last for ages. This mixed into his food as directed for 3- 4 days and order is restored .  Then I give his usual food and add one dessert spoon plain bio yogurt mixed in his meal for about a week.
Hope you see an improvement soon....also do you give a dog treat at night or anything.....these can really upset my dog and now use a Lily Kitchen night time biscuit.    They claim to have probiotic yoghurt, honey, passion and chamomile flowers in and give a calming nights sleep....while I take these claims with a pinch of salt!! my Ollie who suffers from a build up of bile sometimes during the night has not had a bout of this or the runs since starting the biscuits - he has just one at night and started on these about two months back...they may be worth a try.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Darwin

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 04:33:32 PM »
Chicken and rice most definitely does not agree with Darwin or us.  His gas clearance zone is in excess of 25feet, plus the stomach upsets.  We switched to using prescription diet from the Vets, not cheap but it works and no hassle of cooking food.  We learnt to always have a couple of emergency tins just in case.