Author Topic: Unsettled in public places  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Rollo58

Unsettled in public places
« on: March 09, 2020, 03:02:15 AM »
Our chocolate roan and tan boy Archie is now 9 months old.We are just back from a visit to a particularly dog friendly part of the country Keswick,where almost everyone has a dog and they are welcome in pubs and shops.Archie is wonderfully friendly but if we go into a public place ie a pub for lunch he whimpers and can’t settle.We have treats and a yacker but can’t decide if it’s just attention he seeks or if he is afraid.If he Tried ignoring him but have to consider other people around but is reassuring him giving into him.He is wonderfully natured and just want to do the right thing so that we can both enjoy things socially.So hard trying to understand at times as it’s affecting what we can do.He is wonderfully natured and we see happy dogs in these situations and really want him to be at ease and don’t want it to limit where we can take him.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Unsettled in public places
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 09:53:59 AM »
I think there are a lot of things that make them feel nervous in public places, noises and particularly smells (other dogs that have been in before) unsettle them and to be honest, I think the best way forward is to practise as much as you can until it becomes „normal“. Like with most things, we tend to leave it until we‘re in the situation, on holiday, busy crowded pub and the dog‘s literally thrown in at the deep end. (Not a criticism, just a mistake I made but could‘ve avoided if I‘d had a bit of forthought!).
A few things that might help would be to ensure Archie‘s had some exercise beforehand but let him wind down a bit before you go in. Take a little blanket for him to lie on and let him have his chew or whatever to help him relax. A few treats in your hand to keep his attention while you walk in and talk quietly to reassure him. Ask people not to make a fuss of him, - just tell them he‘s training. Try and pick a table in a corner so that he‘s not constantly distracted by people walking past. Once you‘ve got him settled and he‘s lying quietly, drop a treat down for him occasionally and praise him. Above all, try and stay as calm, quiet and relaxed as you possible can.
It does take time but Archie‘s still quite young and its an ideal opportunity to expose him to as many situations like this as you can and make them positive so that‘ll he‘ll gain confidence. (Start with a pub or cafe at a quiet time) But  he is a cocker, so allow him the opportunity to sniff things out, it‘ll help him familiarize himself with the new situation..  ;)

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 02:22:33 PM »
Small stops on park benches and random places can help too. Going outside the home is often associated with action, walking, playing, meeting people and dogs etc. Just letting the dog experience nothing happening in random places can change the expectations and it can be easier for the dog to settle when out and about. I used to bring my cocker to lectures and cafes a lot when I was in uni. She was never the type to fall asleep or get too relaxed, but she would settle because she knew nothing was likely to happen the next hour or so. If I tried to bring her to those places now that she is no longer used to it, she would get stressed for sure. I agree with the advice already given. Rewarding calm behaviour, starting with calm environments that are not too crowded and adjusting expectations.

Offline Saffronmac

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 07:31:42 AM »
Hi, I had a similar thing with Skye when she was younger. We would walk into a pub or cafe after a huge walk and Skye would become anxious for no reason. I tried everything already mentioned and none of it worked. She was very well socialized and normally ok with everything, except this! We took her a fleece blanket, toys, special chews and treats but it took us two years to sort it out. My tip is to walk Archie around the room calmly so that he can 'map' it. This really helped us with Skye. She would have a sniff around, say hello to a few willing people and then we would take her back to our table and she was much more settled. It seems that she needed to check everything out before she would calm down. Skye is fine in pubs now but I still take her on little tours if we're in a new place and she must stay on a short lead. I have started doing exactly the same exercise with my Archie (4 months). I hope it helps.

Offline Saffronmac

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 09:27:25 AM »
Hello again, I just remembered that I also took Skye's evening meal with me to give her at the pub. This also helped to get her used to it. I dont know what type of food you use but giving Skye her kibble in a travel bowl in the pub or cafe after her tour of the surroundings really helped x

Offline Rollo58

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 05:05:46 AM »
Thank you all for your excellent advice.Its greatly appreciated.