Author Topic: Puppy with swollen back legs  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Mike S

Puppy with swollen back legs
« on: June 26, 2020, 11:26:38 AM »
Hi all

I am a new member and am the owner of a 4 month old working male cocker puppy called Kobe. He is my first dog.
His back leags are both swollen in the lower sections and they have been like this pretty much since we got him at 8 weeks. I did not notice anything unusual at first but then I have no prior experience with dogs so would not necessarily pick this up in a puppy.
The vet says he has never seen this before and noted that this was pitting oedema (edema?) but that it was unusual for no other area of the body to be swollen. He is going to seek advice and let me know. Kobe is in all other ways a perfectly happy and active puppy with lots of energy and he appears healthy otherwise; eats, drinks and sleeps well etc.
Has anyone else on here experienced this condition (in their dog) in just the hind legs and if so what was the prognosis, although I appreciate that oedemas can be the result of a variety of conditions?
Many thanks.

Mike

Online Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Re: Puppy with swollen back legs
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 09:28:01 AM »
What a shame, and a worry for you. Sorry I can offer no advice whatsoever, but you have done the right thing in seeing your vet, and good that he's taking it further, though it's hard while you wait for news. Just to say it's good your boy is otherwise happy and well, and hope the condition is discovered and sorted. Meanwhile enjoy your puppy days.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Puppy with swollen back legs
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 08:46:33 PM »
No experience of this but just wanted to check in and see how he was doing?  Hope he’s ok   :-\
helen & jarvis x