Author Topic: I feel like I've been dragged through a mangle  (Read 5623 times)

Offline Potter

• Site Member
I feel like I've been dragged through a mangle
« on: September 12, 2007, 02:47:32 PM »
I just have to share this with people I know will understand how I feel.

I spent all last night in the Emergency Animal Hospital with Daisy, 17 weeks old.  What started out as one of our best and most confident walks with her in the early evening, turned into a complete nightmare.  One minute we (my OH and I) were walking her home across the fields and talking about how good she had been on the walk, and the next my OH was tripping over, ankles in the air, and Daisy was screeching at the top of her little voice.  And continued to screech and curl up into a tight ball.  She had whipped round quickly for a smell, tripped up OH, who fell on top of her.

After the screeching subsided, eventually, I carefully picked her up - she was beyond walking - and carried her home.  Phoned the Vet and went straight in.  Her back leg was tightly pulled up under her tummy.

It was then one long nightmare of a time.  They suspected a broken leg, or greenstick fracture of the spine.  Every time they opened their mouths, more and more worry poured onto me.  Then follwed a time of waiting for results, X-rays, filling in forms, nurses running in and out of rooms.  Awful. 

And then they told me to go home without my puppy.  I felt like I'd been chopped in two.  She's been with me since she came home at 8 weeks, all day, every day, and to walk out that door without her felt just dreadful.  Numb.

They were very good and phoned when they said they would phone.  Middle of the night, but hey, who can sleep anyway?  They said that there were no broken bones, and no greensticks, but massive trauma to the hind soft tissue and muscle of the back leg.  She will need crate confinement for 5 days, anti inflammatories and pain killers, and then very slowly walking over 3 weeks thereafter, building the muscle back up to strength.

I feel absolutely 100 per cent dreadful about this.  I watch her like a hawk and am accused of wrapping her in cotton wool.  So how can this happen?  In an instant, that's how.  And you can imagine just how dreadful my OH feels about it all.  His shingles has flared up over night and he looks awful.

And then you remember why you say to yourself, I'll never have another dog again, I just can't go through this heart ache.

I am truly grateful there are no broken bones, of course I am, but so, so sad any of it has happened.  She was coming along so well, building up her confidence and taking her weekly Training Classes beautifully.  And now it will all have to end.  Poor old Daisy.

Sorry to ramble.  Feeling just awful.

Love

Kay

-x-

Offline Boof

• Site Member
Re: I feel like I've been dragged through a mangle
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 02:50:50 PM »
Poor little Daisy, I hope she makes a smooth recovery. But well done to you both on acting so quickly. :luv:

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 03:13:57 PM »
Poor Daisy! And you, I really feel for you, I can't even imagine what you are going through :'( I hope she makes a fast recovery! Sorry you have to stop training classes. But you will still be training her and building up your relationship with her. And you can still work on her confidence. Training classes will still be there when she is recovered :blink: I hope you will all get over this horrible feeling and good luck to you and your little Daisy!

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 03:17:07 PM »
How awful Kay, I can imagine exactly how you feel, when the vet said to me that if Roxy was not better by this morning she would have to go to the hospital in I felt horrible and didn't know how i would leave her.

Its not the end! just a setback.  5 days isn't too long and then you can start working with her again. Even though she can't walk much you can still do bits of training like sit and leave and drop and stuff like that.

Try and stay positive, she'll soon start getting better, as I have learned although dramatic, puppies seem to be quite resiliant!

Our next door neighbours puppy broke his leg, they don't know how and he had to have pins in and be crated for 12 weeks while it healed  ph34r

Hope you don't feel too bad, lots of kisses and cuddles to poor daisy

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 03:24:20 PM »
Kisses to Daisy and you both. These things happen all too easily, I stood on Glen about a million times when he was a pup but thankfully for us he survived unscathed  :-*
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 03:25:18 PM »
Oh my goodness, what a shock for you all. Hoping for quick recoveries all round. :-*

I know how your OH feels, i stepped down off a chair after putting up curtains once and stood on my old house rabbit. :o He broke his leg, but still never learnt to get out from under feet! :005:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 03:27:39 PM »
Aw Kay, don't feel bad and don't let hubby feel bad either.  Accidents happen and she will make a full recovery so thats the best outcome you could hope for.  Puppies are so quick and under your feet and in harms way before you can blink.  You have always done the best for her and you will keep on doing that.  When Kali was small, she managed to get her front claws stuck in the grille of the calor gas heater.  It wasn't on but I was in a panic because I had to hold her up to take the strain off her foot and then I didn't have enough hands to extricate her as well.  Hubby heard me scream and came down and got her paw out.  He then lifted her up and cuddled her and...... she jumped out of his arms and landed on her side from a 6 foot drop :'(   She screamed and screamed and we rushed her to the vet where we had dire warnings about growth plates etc etc.  Nobody is more neurotic than me about my dogs being safe but it happened in a split second.  An accident just like yours.  She will get through this enforced rest and then be the same Daisy!  Big hugs for you and gentle squishes for Daisy xx
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 03:28:41 PM »
Oh poor Daisy and poor you   :'(  It is so easy for something like this to happen but for goodness sake don't beat yourselves up about it - you can't prevent everything unless you never do anything with her :-\ Could have been worse but it wasn't and she will be back to herself in a few days and I am sure she won't hold a grudge  ;)  Arnica might help too with the inflammation.

I don't envy you trying to keep her on gentle exercise once she starts to feel better  :shades:  ::)

Coco sends Daisy a gentle squidge  :luv:
Julie and Watson

Offline Nuffi

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 03:44:01 PM »
You know, bad things sometimes just happen, you have no control over it...One day last December, when I was thinking Jerry was in perfect health and just brought him to the vet for a quick check on what I thought was a minor conjunctivitis, the vet suddenly said "Oh my God, do you know your dog has cataracts...it could also be Glaucoma and what not, we don't know what it is...you have to leave him here". I felt like the rug had been pulled from under my feet, they couldn't answer my question whether this meant he would go blind, and I drove home in a trance, crying, in total shock....(Fast forward: Jerry has had eye operations now, and he's absolutely fine). But what a shock and every day now I wonder what could happen next...Really, hardly anything upsets me as much as something being wrong with Jerry. But he still makes me sooo happy, and I love him so much -  it's so worth the occasional worry. And yours was just stupid accident that could have happened to anyone. I have tripped over Jerry so many times...

And as someone has already said, 5 days isn't so bad...Believe me, in a short time she will bouncing around again like it never happened!!
Veronika, with Jerry & Bonnie

Offline pinkcarys

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 03:44:35 PM »
Oh, poor you, poor Daisy and poor OH. What a sorry tale. I'm sdo sad that you've had to go through this and can't imagine how you must have felt leaving her in hospital. Poor little thing. Sending lots of love andf hugs to her.
"My aim in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am"

Offline Vino tinto !

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 03:48:14 PM »
Oh I am so so sorry for you both ! How awful for your poor hubby too..........Accidents happen............You both did the right thing and acted quickly.Things will improve,just give it time.Tilly the Cocker hugs and hugs from me too. xx

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 04:14:24 PM »
Oh Kay! Oh no, poor Daisy what a horrible time for you and hubby  :'(

It sounds like she will be fine though so focus on that.. everyone else is right, however careful you are accidents do happen so don't feel bad.

I've had two with Dave so far, my Ex was over and accidental stepped on him when he was about 10 weeks he screamed the house down but was ok and then the worse one was when he was about 12 weeks - my son jumped off his trampoline (it's about 3 ft high), something he's never done before and Dave was just coming out from underneath it. I saw the whole thing from 2 meters away in what felt like slow motion and could do nothing.. he landed on Dave but luckily just to the side so knocked him rather then landing directly on his back. Dave was shocked but ok if he's been 2 inches to the left I can't see how he wouldn't have been killed.. I'm only telling you these things so you hopefully feel a bit better and realise it happens lots however careful you are..

Thinking of you all and hope she feels better soon  :-*

Hannah xxx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 05:38:15 PM »
oh no poor daisy, hope she feels better soon. :-* these things happen, don't feel bad

Offline Letichia

• Site Member
  • Maverick
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 05:43:12 PM »
Ohh Poor Daisy, sending big healing hugs from my two to your little Daisy. :luv:
Hope her leg gets better really soon.
Letichia, Lilly, Polo and Maverick x

Offline harveysmum

• Site Member
  • Harvey the Explorer
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 05:51:38 PM »
aawwww poor daisy :luv: :'( but try not to feel too bad, accidents happen. Sending healing thoughts to daisy :luv:

michelle
My IQ is 133 - Free-IQTest.net - Fun IQ Test