Author Topic: walks/leads  (Read 2930 times)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
walks/leads
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2004, 05:57:35 PM »
I cant stress how invaluable a whistle is to our 16 week old cocker spaniel. At 8 weeks old at feeding times i would hold our pup in the sit position whilst placing his food on the floor. I would then blow the whistle and release him to enable him to eat his dinner. Now at 16 weeks he sits nicely and doesnt move when we are placing his dinner on the floor. He waits until we blow the whistle and then quickly runs to is bowl. Although it has taken around 6 weeks he now knows that when a whistle is blown it means"Food" and comes running regardless of what he is doing. This has enabled us to let him of the lead in the park beach etc. As soon as we need him to return  blowthe whistle and he comes running like mad. Obviously we then give him a little treat and put him back on the lead, Our trainer advised this, I never ever thought it wouldwork but it has. Everyone in the park watches with amasement and says How did you train him to do that? Without this we would never have been able tolet him off the lead. I urge you to  try this.If you pup is food motivated it will work!! :lol:                    

Offline Laura

• Site Member
walks/leads
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2004, 06:20:30 PM »
Knew I was tempting fate posting my previous reply :oops: .  Brogan turned 8 months this week and boy is he giving me a run for my money when we are out walking!  Having my 4 year old off Nursery for 5 weeks now may be my biggest problem - slower walks, I'm distracted and lots of whingeing (not me - my son). Before mornings used to be for myself and Brogan - lots of running, lots of attention, lots of games and lots of very short training sessions.

Brogan refused to come back to me today and then promptly ran in the opposite direction towards a lady.  She caught him for me thankfully especially as she was near the road! :shock: She let him go and he came bounding back as proud as punch! :evil:

Brogan is still fantastic off lead down at the woods and in the sand dunes - lots of opportunties to be out of his sight- keeps him on his toes.  The open field at the back of my house though is another matter - familiar ground as well.  Looks like he will be on a long line at the field for the forseeable future :( - certainly until the Nursery reopens.                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline PennyB

walks/leads
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2004, 09:22:27 PM »
I always put Wilf on a long line when we go trail walking. Have recently got a new one which is quite good—its a 10m climbing rope with a trigger hook on the end that fits on to a harness (saves him strangling himself) and because its a little heavier (than the washing line was) it slows him down a little when I just let it run on the ground!                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!