Author Topic: Feeding how frequent?  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Feeding how frequent?
« on: April 03, 2004, 11:32:09 AM »
Billy is 6 months old on easter Sunday.  :lol: We are still feeding him 3 times a day, and still adding warm water to his food (He is on complete dried food). At what age do we  put him on 2 meals a day?And when do we stop adding water?  :? He has been on the same regime since we got him at 8 weeks. Any help please  :lol:                    

Offline milo's mum

• Site Member
    • http://www.pearshape.co.uk
Feeding how frequent?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 11:53:29 AM »
hi Jan,

My boy's breeder recommended leaving him on a puppy regieme for 'as long as possible', but that we could try him on 2 meals a day from 6 months. If he do well on it we were to put him back on 3 meals for a few more weeks.

We cut out his lunchtime feed from 6 months and gave him 2 larger meals, morning and evening.  He eats half his morning meal straight away then saves the other half until lunchtime!  I supposed that's what you call a 'win win' situation.

Also, at around 6 months he flattly refused to eat puppy food anymore, so we switched him to a junior dry food and supplement in the evening with tripe and tuna / sardines. He's now 8.5 months and his is doing great on it.

Our old dog was raised on wheatbix for breakfast and in 15 years we NEVER got her to change.

I guess all puppies a different, but to some extent they'll guide you on what to do.  

Jackie, Steve and Milo                    
Jackie, Steve and Milo.

Offline paul the decorator

• Site Member
Feeding how frequent?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 06:15:54 PM »
Hi Jan /Billy,

Smudge is now 14 months and still on 2 meals a day.
We changed him from 3 when he was about 12 months.
We tried earlier but he wouldn't let us he would roam around whimpering till we put some down and then he wolfed the lot.
He's always had James Wellbeloved dried food since we got him and we have always added water to bring out the flavor and smell to it.
You dont need much water only a couple of teaspoonfuls and give it a good stir.
We have noticed that he is starting to leave his morning meal till he's been up for an hour instead of devouring it when we both get up at 6.30.
He has about 275 grammes which works out at 3 good mugfuls split one third for breakfast and two thirds for tea at 6.00 p.m.
We changed him onto Junior at 12 months and he's very happy with it.
He doesn't have anything added and he seems quite happy . I'm a firm believer that if you start adding all sorts of extras it only makes him choosy , what he doesn't have he doesn't miss.
Mind you he's just finishing demolishing a lamb bone from dinner.
 byeee......

Smudge and Paul                    

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Feeding how frequent?
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 07:00:34 PM »
Thanks both  :lol: Billy is on James beloved too. I have changed him to junior this week because it said on the puppy food to feed until 6 months then do junior from 6 months then at 10 months go onto adult. Do you think it is too soon then to put him on junior?  
Billy would eat absolutley anything we put in front of him. There is no way he would ever save any of his meals! In fact i bet if i timed how long it took him to eat his dinner from the moment that i put his dish on the floor to the moment he has finished i reckon it would be approx 20-30 seconds. Im not joking, he eats as though we never feed him. I got the vet to weigh him as i thought we werent feeding him enough but it apparently not he is perfect weight. :?                    

Offline PennyB

Feeding how frequent?
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 09:17:17 PM »
If in doubt why not ring JWB's customer service line. I phoned Burns with help re feeding and they were very helpful.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!