Author Topic: Raised food/bowls  (Read 2683 times)

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
Raised food/bowls
« on: April 04, 2004, 10:31:28 AM »
Hi

A friend of ours uses those raised bowls for their lab - so he doesn't have to strain his neck too much when eating/drinking.

Are Cockers small enough not to need these, or does anyone out there use them?

Just a thought :wink:                    
All the best
Phil

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Raised food/bowls
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 10:57:11 AM »
I don't use them...I use a normal spaniel bowl  :wink:  I do know that some people use them for older dogs and for large breeds, I know someone with 2 Great Danes who used them.                    

Offline PennyB

Raised food/bowls
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 12:57:07 PM »
Raised bowls were thought to be necessary for the large breeds like greys who suffer from, I think bloat that can be a real problem. Don't think they're really necessary with cockers. Spaniel bowls on the floor seem fine to me.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Raised food/bowls
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 01:37:07 PM »
You can get raised bowls or feeding stands for smaller dogs but they are not generally necessary for the average, healthy Cocker. We have used one for our old Daisy as she found it difficult to get down to ground level to eat as she became more frail but wouldn't use them for our younger dogs. My parents do use them for their Lurcher because of the risk of bloat in large, deep chested breeds, as Penny & Gilly mention.                    
Jane

Offline JANE D

• Site Member
Raised food/bowls
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 03:45:00 PM »
I use the raised bowls for Charlie but only to stop him scooting his bowls around the floor !! I don't particularly like them as they seem to take up a lot of room and aren't very easy to clean but beats mopping up every 5 mins :D                    

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Raised food/bowls
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 07:04:38 PM »
I have been looking for some heavy spaniel bowls for ages. Preferably pottery as they may be heavier. Billy has his bowls outside now because be keeps picking them up and carrying them around in his mouth tipping his water all over. I was sick of my kitchen turning into a pond each day. Does anyone know where they stock heavier type spaniel bowls?                    

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Raised food/bowls
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 03:05:56 PM »
My mum uses these but she has two mastiff crosses. I just use normal bowls for ours. We haven't needed to use a spaniel bowl, I've never actually seen one, can anyone tell me more about them?                    

Offline LilyLu

• Site Member
Raised food/bowls
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 04:54:55 PM »
I have been looking for some heavy spaniel bowls for ages. Preferably pottery as they may be heavier. Billy has his bowls outside now because be keeps picking them up and carrying them around in his mouth tipping his water all over. I was sick of my kitchen turning into a pond each day. Does anyone know where they stock heavier type spaniel bowls?

There were some pottery ones in Pets at Home when I looked last week.  They were pretty big though, my puppy would have fitted in them :D

Luan                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Raised food/bowls
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 04:57:32 PM »
Pet Planet have ceramic Spaniels bowls in their range - have a look here:http://www.petplanet.co.uk/category.asp?de...d=157&page_id=2.

Spaniel bowls are taller than the average bowl & are designed so the ears drop either side of the bowl when the dog is eating (in theory :lol:)                    
Jane

Offline devondumpling

• Site Member
    • www.gwbertcockerspaniels.co.uk
Raised food/bowls
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004, 05:08:35 PM »
Spaniel bowls are taller than the average bowl & are designed so the ears drop either side of the bowl when the dog is eating (in theory )

I wondered what spaniel bowls were!                    

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Raised food/bowls
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2004, 08:37:10 PM »
thanks Jane, just ordered some from there. Will see howl ong it takes Billy to destroy these! :lol:                    

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Raised food/bowls
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2004, 06:21:13 AM »
Mine eat from HUMAN (  :lol:  :lol: ) cereal bowls (ceramic)!! They come in really handy, they are small enough to keep the ears out but big enough to fit the meals in. And they are MUCH cheaper than similar ones in the pet store that are (supposingly) designed for spaniels.
I don't have raised bowls, but I place their bowls on top of a wooden box, so they don't have to get down to groudlevel :).                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline PennyB

Raised food/bowls
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2004, 08:33:39 AM »
Your cereal bowls must be quite heavy as my two tend to push those round the kitchen. The ceramic spaniel bowl I got (from petplanet) is quite heavy and stops their ears from dipping in.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Raised food/bowls
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2004, 09:09:18 AM »
Yes, they are very heavy :).                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline Sam n Riley

• Site Member
Raised food/bowls
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2004, 04:49:47 PM »
We use a raised feeder for Riley again, it stops him pushing the food all around the kitchen!  Also, he is quite a big lad and seems more comfortable eating with it than he does with a bowl on the floor.