Author Topic: help and advice for new owner  (Read 2033 times)

Offline lorri

• Site Member
help and advice for new owner
« on: April 07, 2004, 12:14:45 PM »
Could anyone give me any tips or advice on raising my puppy any serious do's and dont's. Jarvis is 9 weeks old at the moment you cant even clap or cuddle him with out him trying to chew your hand off..he's also growling when you clap him. Is this normal puppy behaviour? He's also began to gt very amourous with my sons teddy's :o Any advice or help would be appreciated

thanks

lorraine                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 02:55:55 PM »
Hi Lorraine,

Welcome to COL. Have a look at our FAQ on play-biting.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewt...opic.php?t=2016

I had a terrible time with one of my boys but we did get through it. Your Jarvis sounds just like him :twisted:  Once you pick a method eg giving him a time out, be consistent and make everyone else who comes into contact with him do the same. It may seem like you aren't getting anywhere when you first start - but it does get better...promise :wink:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline lorri

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 07:17:27 PM »
Thank you Gill

Theres just so many do's and dont's around that it can all get a little confusing. And i have been thinking that it could be a case of having a sore mouth?? I walk around with a chew every time he trys to bite i give him that which works but i will be trying out the time out and see how that goes cause the little monkey has teeth likes razors and im sure how much more my hands or feet can take.

thanks again

Lorraine                    

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 08:42:01 PM »
Hi Lorri - this seems to be a common issue with just about every newbie on this site!!! Pickle was a real biter/chewer when he was little, and at 5 months, he's still doing it, but not nearly so bad now. Their teeth can definitely irritate them, as the baby teeth loosen and fall out, and the big ones grow in. An ice cube can be soothing, and they often like to chase one round the floor, then crunch it up.
Also, I was told by my breeder that a wee puppy's automatic instinct is to bite/chew everything in its path - just its way of exploring the world around it. So don't worry about it, I guess the HUGE joy of owning a Cocker far outweighs the pain of chewed hands and feet!
Emma and Pickle xx                    

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 09:21:15 PM »
Hi Lorri,

I think we've all been there and got the t shirt! :lol:

We used to give Blue time out in the kitchen if he got a bit too much for us, which he very often did! just 5 minutes away from us all and he would come out much calmer :D

Your patience with Jarvis really will pay off, I know that I  felt like this phase was never going to end, at one point with Blue I felt the only word I seemed to say to him was NO! But Jarvis is just a puppy, he is learning and it will get better :D                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 09:51:56 PM »
Yes welcome to the house of demon puppies—or at least they were (now they're just stroppy teenagers). Pups can be hard work but with patience you'll get there (and it really does take time)                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Michelle_S

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 10:11:44 PM »
Along with this invaluable site  :D I found Gwen Bailey's 'Perfect Puppy' really useful for all sorts of advice in the early days with Harry.                    

Offline BentleyBrewster

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 01:37:21 AM »
Hi Lorri

Bentley is now 16 weeks old and he is also a chewer after the first several weeks of trying to find him the "perfect" chew toy we finally found it.. RAWHIDE

From reading several books i decided i didnt want to give him rawhide but after consulting with our vet she's is determined it does more good than bad as far as keeping them occupied and from tearing up everything else in the house ... the trick is you want to get your pup the BIGGER and THICKER stuff.... do not leave him unattended with it and take it away from him from time to time to prevent him from swallowing large pieces..

We bought Bentley some rawhide knot bones that are twice the size of his head and they are still well intact.... Its makes "family" time that much more relaxing!  an hour here and there makes him happy!

just my opininion I am new to this board , not sure what everyone else here will think but it works for OUR situitation VERY VERY well!

Good Luck! it DOES get better.... MUCH better!  :)                    
-Michael
U.S.A.

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 07:51:04 AM »
HI,  At 9 weeks, your pup has only just left his playmates, and this was how he used to behaving with his brothers and sisters, he will adjust.  When Jazz was 12 weeks old I started giving her some chews, rawhide, white rolled up newspaper size. i would play with her, and when she started biting say a firm NO, get up and walk away. I would then come back and after about 10 mins give  her chew and let her chew it for about 30 moins, or an hour whilst i was in the room with her. Then I would distract her with some toys ,and take the chew away. I would suggest you do this at least an hour before bedtime, so she has time to relive herself properly, as i understand these chews make them go to the toliet more often.

The ignoring really does work, it is frustrating, but it DOES work!!!..

Does she have her own crate/secure space?  Now Jazz has her chew every other night for about an hour, and trotts off to her cage for some time to herself. Its bliss.... , but i do find myself creeping outside the room to check and see if shes ok. She makes such a racket while she eats her chew, its almost orgasmic..                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2004, 05:50:28 PM »
I waited 10 years to get my puppy as OH was scared of dogs!  4 days after Brogan arrived home I sat and cried my eyes out wondering what I had done! :cry:  Brogan bit me all the time - infact more than a fortnight passed before I could stroke him!!  Every time he bit me I had to shout ouch and walk away or put him in time out.  Fortunatley he never bit the children the same as myself - although they also did there fair share of walking away and ouching.  Excluding Brogan was hard but it did work well.
By 16 weeks old he was a completely different dog.  There is light at the end of the tunnel - however dim it seems! :wink:  Hang in there!!                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline lorri

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2004, 10:27:26 PM »
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Jarvis doesnt have a crate but he does have his own little bed he goes to when he's tierd or wants just a little bit of peace. I have seen an improvement since trying the yelping (my son does this twirly thing  with his finger at his head as if im mad when i do this) And i've also done the ignoring bit aswel and even when he bit really hard and had a big puncture mark in my sons hand i put him out the room for a couple of minutes. Bless when he came back in he was abig sook. Anyway thanks again everyone dont know where i would be without this site.

Lorraine