Author Topic: dry skin  (Read 1183 times)

Offline lorri

• Site Member
dry skin
« on: April 09, 2004, 10:38:44 PM »
Hi

Have noticed that when i brush Jarvis he has really dry skin wont be getting asked to model for head and shoulders thats for sure. Is this normal.He gets fed Eukanuba dry puppy food.

Lorraine and Jarvis                    

Offline BentleyBrewster

• Site Member
dry skin
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 05:00:41 AM »
not sure if it is normal or not but Bentley has the problem as well... the vet gave us some vitamans (allerderm efavtie)from Vibrac, Inc. ... he took them for about 4 days but got sick one evening and i discontinued giving them to him incase they made him sick ... he hasn't been on them since . not really sure but dandruff never killed anyone! ;)                    
-Michael
U.S.A.

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
dry skin
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 03:20:45 PM »
It may be diet related, you could try changing his food to one thats more natural and doesn't contain so many preservatives and additives :lol:  :lol:   Burns seems to be very popular and is naturally preserved.  Naturediet is another very good food, it comes in a carton and is meat, rice and carrots.  its not slushy like tinned food though, its dense and moist :lol:  :wink:

If you are quite happy with what your'e feeding, you could try adding extra oil to his food in the form of fish body oil or cod liver oil etc, but personally I would try to find the root of the problem rather than treat the symptoms :lol:  :lol:

Linda and jess                    
Linda, Jess and baby Jimmy
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline BentleyBrewster

• Site Member
dry skin
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 03:52:21 PM »
we feed Bentley an all natural food ( www.beowulfs.com) as did the Breeder and he's had that problem since we brought him home ...... so in his particular case I don't think its the food (or treats because the ones we give him are all natural as well) ......  your case may be food related but i did want to point our situation out to you as well  :)

keep us updated!                    
-Michael
U.S.A.

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
dry skin
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 04:59:19 PM »
Hi Lorri,

When we first got Millie, she was on Eukanuba - she was very itchy and had flaky skin too. We changed to Burns, which stopped the problem completely, but she lost a lot of weight as she didn't really like it, so we went onto Nutro - Lamb and rice, which is specially formulated for the conditioning of coats and skin (at least thats what it says on the bag! :lol: )
Since the change she has eaten much more, and is now a good weight, and hasn't been half as itchy, although recently she has been a bit scurvy and a little static-y, but we've put it down to the atmosphere being so dry, as she's gotten better with the weather turning a bit wetter :D

Brushing with a soft bristled brush, or 'hound glove' is good as well as it stimulates the natural coat oils to be produced, which should improve the skin and coat condition.
Or, if you're feeling particularly extravagent, a pureed avocado mixed with olive oil makes an excellent natrual conditioner for dry skin and fur/hair (its good for people too!) just massage into wet skin/hair, leave for 5 minutes or so then rinse out well :D

HTH                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
dry skin
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 05:11:01 PM »

so we went onto Nutro - Lamb and rice, which is specially formulated for the conditioning of coats and skin (at least thats what it says on the bag! :lol: )

This is the same reason that i started feeding Nutro years ago and it worked 100%
Again had been on Eukanuba 1st and not only were they all flakey their coats had also started to turn pink for all the protein :shock:

I also put a dash of Olive oil on their food daily which helps.  

If you don't think its food related it could be more enviromental, Mine will also still get a bit flakey when they are changing their coats.  To make sure thats it not visitors i always put a dash of Tea Tree oil in their shampoo when i bath them as this is a very good deterent.  

You could also try rubbing some baby oil/Mink oil into their coat/skin as this can help :D

HTH                    
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx