Author Topic: Things to buy for the new arrival.  (Read 2546 times)

Offline admark

• Site Member
Things to buy for the new arrival.
« on: April 14, 2004, 01:59:54 PM »
Hi everyone... only about 5 1/2 weeks to go and we get our girl  :D (can't wait...seems ages away!).  I thought it might be helpful to canvass the essential purchases (and not so essential..!) for all those puppies needs. So let's hear all those successful and not so successful purchases for the little ones!

We hear of beds, collars, play-pens, 'crates', 'slicker' brushes, shampoos etc, DAP diffusers etc etc.  So far we have got as far as well...,er, ..toys. We have a yellow shaped banana  :) , a 'treat' ball, and two cherries with faces, attached by a section she can hold in her mouth.(The cherries make a wierd croacking noise..don't ask!)   :) . We have also bought a small 'puppy' collar and lead, and a small fleece blanket for general use.  We are still undecided on bed type, we thought she would have two beds one maybe for where she sleeps and one for the lounge.  Do we invest in DAP diffuser now or wait until a week of sleepless nights...?  Can the pup travel in the boot with a dog guard or should we buy a travel cage - and at what age can they be put in the boot - almost straight away?    What about the stop bark collars - are they worth it.  What shampoos are good for puppies - and how soon did they have the first bath?

The forums have been excellant and there is lots of terrific information about many subjects and it would certainly help us in preperation and all new expectant mums & dads to continue this thread - let's hear a hip hip horay for COL !! Hip Hip....!                    
Admark

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 02:13:43 PM »
Blimey!!!!

I think its best to buy a few essentials and then see how you go. A plastic bed and comfy bedding is a must. We had a fleece bed that fits in the bottom of the plastic bed and also a duvet type one for the lounge (make sure they are very washable!)

A crate if you are planning to crate train, lots of newspaper!!! A DAP diffuser might be worth getting I wish I'd know about them with Phoebe :wink:

A gentle brush and comb to get the pup used to being brushes, very little and often to start with.

Phoebe travelled in a crate in the back of the car nearly from day one. She has always loved the car and felt secure in her crate. I think it might depend on what you plan to do later. Phoebe now wears a harness and chain to secure her in my car as her crate won't fit. More for security if we have an accident and the back opens - she can't jump out.

A mild puppy shampoo and wet wipes might be a good idea.

I'm sure the others will have lots of other things!!!!!

HTH                    
Anita

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 05:21:46 PM »
Hi there and elcome to te forums!

When we picked up Jenni at 8 weeks our breeder advised it was best not to have her rolling around in a crate in the back of the car, she suggested that until she was a little bigger that she was held whilst travelling in the car.
Now she generally goes in the crate in the boot with Millie, or if travelling singly I stick a car harness on her and pop her on the back seats. She still hasn't quite gotten used to the 'rolling' around tat occurs when she's on her own - when she's with Mil she wedges herself between Millie and the side of the crate!

As for puppy essentials, yup lots of newspaper! a soft brush as Anita has said. A DAP diffuser is good, we didn't have one right from the start with Jenni, but found that once we did have it she seemed more settled, although would still sometimes cry when on her own.

Sounds daft but, a water and food bowl ;) I nearly forgot to buy an extra water bowl when we got Jenni.

If you're going to buy a crate the one sold by Argos is suitable for a cocker, although its a bit big for a puppy at first, just put bedding in half of it and newspaper in the other half for accidents. We used puppy pads aswell as newspaper, Jenni seemed to like to piddle on these, but number 2s were reserved strictly for the laminate flooring ;)

Don't forget to buy some puppy food - ideally whatever the puppy is being fed on now is the best to get in. This should help to minimise tummy upsets, however your puppy will still probably have a dicky tummy for a few days whilst adjusting to the new environment and local water.

perhaps a toy like a nyla-bone or a hard rubber bone would be good as well to aid her when teething, and hopefully to save your skirting boards ;)

On the bed front, when we got Millie (our oldest cocker)  we opted for a hard plastic bed when she was a puppy, and in the bottom just put an ordinary thick cotton blanket - Which we were glad we did because she with 'strip' out the fur / fluff from anything remotely fleecy that we put near her as a pup - so when Jenni came anything fluffy or fleecy was removed at first. She's not too bad though, and prefers the labels on her fleecy blankets to stripping out the fluff :roll:

Some people like to get a "Snuggle Puppy" or "Snuggle Pad" - which basically heats up in the microwave and is placed under a blanket in the puppies crate / bed - it acts as a kind of littermate replacement, and can be soothing as it keep sthe pup warm and feels like someone else is there. We got one for Jenni, but she wasn't that fussed over it really and sleeps without it. On a similar note a clock that ticks, well wrapped in a blanket can sometimes soothe a puppy by sounding reminiscent of a heart beat - we never did this, but it works for some people.

If you're looking for a bit of pre-puppy reading, there's a book called "The Perfect Puppy", by Gwen somebody - it helps with initial training hints and prepares you for kinda what to expect and what to do :) You can buy it from Amazon using the links on the COL Home page, that way Amazon will make a donation to COL to keep us going :)

finally, lots of patience, and lots of pro-plus for your sleepless nights ahead ;) :lol:

HTH                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline devondumpling

• Site Member
    • www.gwbertcockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 06:33:59 PM »
Hi Admark
We'll be getting our pups at about the same time. So should be able to compare experiences.
This DAP diffuser thing? Looked it up on the net, does it actually work? Where is the cheapest place to buy one and is it worth the expense?
Also anyone use Arden Grange food? My pup will be on it when I get her. Is it a good food to keep her on? Thanks for any help.
Chris                    

Offline PamB

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 07:16:08 PM »
Also anyone use Arden Grange food? My pup will be on it when I get her

My new pup Bandit was being fed on Arden Grange puppy.  I found it difficult to get locally and have to place a special order at a shop a few miles away.  I think it is a good food and he seems to enjoy it but I will be changing him over to something else (haven't decided what yet - any recommendations welcome) in a week or two when he has settled in.                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 07:24:09 PM »
If you do decide to go with the DAP diffuser, put it in place about a week or two before the little one arrives. In saying that, when I used it for the first time with Vegas, it worked that same night - the rep was well pleased when I told him :lol:  I already had them in place when Dallas came along and never heard a peep from him :wink:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline admark

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 12:06:01 PM »
Hi Guys, thanks for the replies so far. In terms of Arden Grange http://www.ardengrange.com, we too are probabaly going to move our pup over to this. I know that a number of Cocker Breeders use it and we were recommend it by a breeder that it results in glossy coats and healthy dogs.  I think James Wellbeloved, Burns and AG are on a par, all are additive free and good quality feeds. JWB are stocked in more places and are more widely available but if you are considering bulk buying (We are) then AG will mail order (free delivery) on orders over 15 kgs. I have asked them how long the feeds keep and I will post reply when I hear back.  Pups and Young dogs seem to cost more and take more feed but this reduces when the dogs are bigger, so after a year for example AG comes out at approx 45p per day on their recommended feed charts.

The DAP diffuser I have seen at I think £24.99, this lasts one month then each cannister is £16.99 I  think. Not Cheap. We are still undecided on it, we could wait and see how the pup settles or we could get it in place prior. It struck me that there may well be forum members and other users who have redundant diffusers (most are used for young dogs/pups to help them settle) and there may be second hand market tha COL could consider for these and other items.  Many of us have Paypal accounts so it is something open for discussion.

We wouldn't dream of putting the pup on her first journey in the boot - the good old cardboard box with one of us holding her will be fine but ultimately she will travel in the boot with a guard or in a crate, but we had wondered about her sliding around just using a guard so we will probably be getting one of the cages then can I guess it can be used in the house/garden etc as well.

Does anyone have an answer on when you should first consider bath a pup, obviously a mild one for pups..

BFN :)                    
Admark

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004, 12:42:47 PM »
Hi Admark - you must be getting sooooo excited!
Re bathing - Pickle had his first bath at about 12 weeks, and has had one every 2 weeks since, as we live by the beach and he gets very sandy. A good quality puppy shampoo is all you need, plus lots of towels, and a sense of humour (as you'll probably get soaked!!!!!  :lol: )
By the way, prior to his first bath, we used newborn baby wipes (unscented) from Boots if he got any dirty patches!
Emma and Pickle xx                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2004, 02:44:26 PM »
We bathed Indie after he'd been with us a few days, he dribbled a lot when he peed, but I didn't do it in the sink, just a tupperware plastic foodsaver, with about 2 inches of water in the bottom. I think that helped to stop him being frightened, he loves his baths now.

We didn't do dap diffuser or snuggle puppy, but did get him a fleecy lamb from the pet shop to snuggle with. The best thing we bought has been vet bedding on a roll - I bought three half metre pieces, and rotated them. They are central heating for puppies, and reflect heat back to them. It meant we had one for the wash, one for the crate, and one extra. They'll be many accidents but this stuff dries really quickly.

I bought a small crate at first, which we now use in the boot of the car, and I bought a metre long one fro inside. He travels in his crate in the car, but when he was tiny he was in a crate all padded with rolled uo towekls beside my husband.

Good luck!                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 09:53:54 PM »
Hi Admark

God it just soooo exciting isn't :)  Makes you remember how impatient we can all be :D
If you don't want to spend out on a DAP straight away, i always put a blanket in with my pups bedding for a little while before they go which the new owners can take with them as it has all the smells of litter mates and mum on it.  Alternatively you might be able to take a bit of bedding there before hand that the breeder can put in :)

HTH                    
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline admark

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2004, 07:53:34 AM »
Sorry, dodgy hyper link earlier. Try this http://www.ardengrange.com                    
Admark