Author Topic: ShouldI have said something?  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
ShouldI have said something?
« on: April 18, 2004, 06:29:48 PM »
I was out in our local pet store today when i saw a lady with the cutest cocker spaniel pup. He was adorable and so so dainty. I thought he must have been about 9-10 weeks old. I was shocked when its owner said he was 4months!!! I could see its owner was new as she was unsure about what chews to buy etc so i asked her how long she had had him. she told me her friend had given him to her as she was sick of him chewing everything! Apparently this is his third home  :cry:  I thought this was awful as he was so young, the poor thing,he must be so confused.He was so so cute, couldnt resist givimg him a cuddle, well about five actually  :oops: . I got the impression the adoption of the pup was a bit ofa spur of the moment thing and i know i shouldnt judge people like this but i got the impression before long the pup would be with yet another family. i felt so sorry for the cute little thing i wanted to give her my number and say if you have had enough of him at any stage i will take him off you. But i didnt I didnt pluck up the courage to do so as i didnt want to offend her incinuating she wouldnt be able to cope . When i got home i told my fiance who said i should have done so. I am kicking myself now that this little cutie may have a tough time in future. Would i have been wise to offer to take him? Or would i have offended her? It makes me so mad that people buy puppies and dont think they are going to chew!!  :cry:  And then to just pass itonto who ever is willing to take him or her, like a game of  pass the parcel                    

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 06:40:36 PM »
HI,

Bless the little sweetie, lets hope this family, with give him all the love her needs.

I don't think you should worry about not saying something, if you feel that concerned and worried, why don't you give the pet shop your details, and ask them to pass a note on to them if they come in again... if they remember the other lady...

just a thought,

good luck,

cathy                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 07:18:15 PM »
I think you just have to hope that these new owners will be more responsible than the previous ones.  If ever I bump into other cocker owners, I always mention 'Cockersonline' as I feel everyone can benefit from a site like this.  It's just a minefield of information for any dog owner so I love to sing it's praises :wink:                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 11:02:48 PM »
Whenever I meet someone who's new to dog owning while I'm out walking I usually have a very long conversation where I often mention as much as I can about dog owning (without preaching) and always suggest to them to try a good dog training class (I know some like to do it all on their own but dog classes aren't just about sit, stay etc.) and usually recommend the one I go to or some of the others in the area.

I wouldn't give my no. and suggest that if you want to rehome as often some can clam up and you may never see them again. Its probably far better to get them into conversation and help them out if you can as often that's all that's needed.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 11:07:41 PM »
I think you just have to hope that these new owners will be more responsible than the previous ones.  If ever I bump into other cocker owners, I always mention 'Cockersonline' as I feel everyone can benefit from a site like this.  It's just a minefield of information for any dog owner so I love to sing it's praises :wink:

:lol: I do this too Mary!  When we stayed in Scotland the hotel receptionist, mentioned she had a cocker, so of course I pointed her in the right direction :wink:                    

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 03:54:53 PM »
Chris is always moaning at me because when we bump into other cocker owners I always say 'have you visited cockersonline?', and usually the answer is no. He thinks I'm a 'groupie' but I think this is a wonderful place, with lovely people and excellent advice, and I want to share that view with other potential users!                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 04:02:30 PM »
I also spread the word of COL  :D every time I meet a Cocker owner :oops: Louise/Charlie (Pipers Mummy) will testify to that :D  :D

Michelle                    

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 05:04:14 PM »
Trouble is as good as COL is not everyone has access to the internet so its always worth suggesting something that's not in cyberspace as well                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!