Author Topic: Is this an ok diet for him?  (Read 964 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Is this an ok diet for him?
« on: April 19, 2004, 02:35:37 PM »
Indie os on Burns mini bites, with about a 100g of cooked minced beef or turkey, and a bit of olive oil. We ended up with this combo gradually, and he loves it.

He's on the recommended daily amount of Burns for puppies, and is a nice size, just right. I'm just concerned about the minced beef/turkey bit - is that an ok addition? I don't add anything to it other than a bit of olive oil when cooking it, and am feeding him this twice a day. He's six months now.

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 06:53:35 PM »
I feed Jazz burns puppy bites, and shes on the daily amount of 20g per kilo in body weight. i was concerned about it not being enough, so i called burns and they said on that amount she shouldn't have any extras... personally i don't think its enough, but jazz is a nice size..

I suppose it depends how much excersize they get.                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 10:01:39 PM »
Hi Shona. Pickle's breeder instructed us to feed Pickle the recommended amount of complete puppy food (we use JWB) PLUS quarter to a third of a pound of meat per day, right through until he is an adult. She is always very keen to tell people that puppies should be very well fed until they are 9 months plus, and that we certainly shouldn't worry about them getting too fat at this age, as they are growing so fast.
So, I think what you are feeding Indie sounds just fine. The olive oil is supposed to be very good for their coats too, giving a nice shine.
Emma and Pickle xx
PS Pickle does also get a few treats through the day, such as a little cheese, some natural bio-yoghurt, or a carrot, so I can spoil him a little bit  :) without encouraging him to be a greedy-guts.