Author Topic: Kongs for puppies  (Read 1248 times)

Offline wiggie

Kongs for puppies
« on: February 11, 2010, 10:57:30 AM »
Trying to get prepared for the new puppy (squeee!!!) and was wondering exactly what people put into their puppy kongs that will keep them occupied for a while without upsetting their tummies?

Offline jla

Re: Kongs for puppies
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 11:09:38 AM »
Tiny bit of peanut butter smeared around the inside, same with marmite, bit of their food soaked in weak Oxo gravy and frozen, I know some people do frozen mashed banana but I haven't done that one.

Any of the above mixed with mashed potato (and frozen).  Reah especially liked marmite mash!

I know Kong do a puppy stuff and paste but the ingrediants list and cost have always put me off a bit.

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 11:28:35 AM »
Freddie is a bit sensitive so I use either kibble and chopped cooked chicken sealed with primula or tuna instead of the chicken. Also do frozen mashed banana and live yogurt. Good luck with the new arrival, when does he/she join you? :D
Paula & Freddie x

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 11:41:44 AM »
I tend to use a combination of squeezy cream cheese, some of their kibble, peanut butter.  Today they're having cream cheese and a bit of tuna all frozen. :D
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 11:56:11 AM »
I always thought of Marmite and Oxo as way too salty for dogs  :huh: especially a pup

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 12:06:35 PM »
Thanks for the thread, I was wondering the same thing... is there a kong especially for puppies? keep the tips coming for us newbies, I collect my new puppy and have named him Selby... collect him on Monday he will be nearly 12 weeks old isnt it exciting, I have got the nursery ready!!!!!lol or thats what it seems like..

Offline wiggie

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 12:39:37 PM »
Thanks guys that's great! but please keep the suggestions coming if anyone does anything differently! We need all the help we can get :005: It sounds like we will need to buy  a few more and get organised with the freezing! Kong do do a puppy kong that is meant to be softer on their teeth.  
We haven't got a name for our pup yet but she comes in 3 1/2 weeks :D

Also another quick question . . . Kong do a range of puppy chew toys you can stuff with food.  Does anyone use these? and if so do you find them as good as the kong?

Thanks

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 01:29:05 PM »
Hi Wiggie

There's been a thread on here recently about a pup who managed to chew part of their 'puppy' kong apart and swallow it! - Resulted in a very poorly pup having an op, mine didn't have puppy kongs, we went straight to the medium size red kongs.

My girls have Tesco Value natural yogurt and Tesco value Tuna mixed together in theirs - they didn't like banana!
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline AnnieA

• Donator
  • Ted!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 01:44:11 PM »
I put the remainder of Ted's breakfast kibble in the Kong and top with a blob of Primula cheese or peanut butter.  Seems to help amuse him while I'm on the school run.  :D 

Sleep tight Henry, our little snuggle puppy :luv:

Offline black taz

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 02:48:05 PM »
i break up some pilchard or livercake and stuff in together with kibble.  Cheese spread again with kibble.

Offline wiggie

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 03:52:59 PM »
Hi Wiggie

There's been a thread on here recently about a pup who managed to chew part of their 'puppy' kong apart and swallow it! - Resulted in a very poorly pup having an op, mine didn't have puppy kongs, we went straight to the medium size red kongs.

My girls have Tesco Value natural yogurt and Tesco value Tuna mixed together in theirs - they didn't like banana!

:o. Thanks for the warning.
 and for everyone's great ideas!

Offline jla

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 03:59:30 PM »
I always thought of Marmite and Oxo as way too salty for dogs  :huh: especially a pup

I don't smear it or use lots - just enough, watered down, to give it some flavour.  All my pups seem okay on it  :D

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 04:21:55 PM »
Maggie loves her equivalent of bacon and eggs..... scrambled egg, corned beef, little bit of kibble and yoghurt.   :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline scott0904

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 08:35:37 PM »
Hey there, it was my Floyd who had the nasty incident with the Puppy Kong.

I was going to create a post about what happened when i notified Kong about it.

Anyway...

I received a repsonse yesterday from their Service rep Angela Dackome

They were sorry to hear of the pain he went through, have taken my comments on board regarding the material and have offered to send a selection of Kong products to help him on his road to recovery.

It was nice to see they acknowledged the feedback, whether or not they decide to change the material they are made of or not remains to be seen though.

My advise to anyone thinking of using Kong would be, go straight to the adult Kong. My pups teeth were so sharp he tore through the puppy Kong in a short short time with horrible consequences. The adult version is far more robust, and in general the toy is a great source of amusement for dogs.

Good luck with your pup  :blink:

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 05:06:54 PM »
Keli only played with his Kong for a little bit, as far as I recall. He didn't find it very interesting. However, one of his ultra favourite things was Primula cheese spread prawn flavour. Even when he was ill he could manage that!  ;)

They didn't do puppy Kongs in those days so it was just the red one, but since Scott's awful experience, I shall be using the red again and not the puppy one.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!