Author Topic: any one feeding Healthy Paws Kibble?  (Read 5731 times)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
any one feeding Healthy Paws Kibble?
« on: September 07, 2009, 07:32:58 PM »
Just got our free sample of Rabbit & Brown rice in the post and Mr Fussy Pants has scoffed it for his dinner which is a rare and wonderful sight  ::)

so wondering if anyone feeds it and how their dogs are doing on it?

http://healthypaws.co.uk/
helen & jarvis x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: any one feeding Healthy Paws Kibble?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 08:32:59 PM »
I'm waiting for the samples, hopefully they'll arrive tomorrow, I'm really glad Jarv liked it :D   I realised the Fish4Dogs is a no go cos I wasn't looking properly when I read the ingredients the first time, it's got sodding beet fibre in it as well ::)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
I'm waiting for the samples, hopefully they'll arrive tomorrow, I'm really glad Jarv liked it :D   I realised the Fish4Dogs is a no go cos I wasn't looking properly when I read the ingredients the first time, it's got sodding beet fibre in it as well ::)

Oh, I was just looking at the Fish4Dogs as an option to the Luaths.  :-\

Where can you get the Healthy Paws, is it an on-line one too.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 08:37:09 PM »

My trainer who runs our dog training club, is against beet pulp in dog food, she says it can make some dogs hyper as its residue from the sugar industry. Is that right?

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »

My trainer who runs our dog training club, is against beet pulp in dog food, she says it can make some dogs hyper as its residue from the sugar industry. Is that right?

I don't know about that but I am suspicious of allergic reactions such as yeast infections and skin infections   :-\

link posted above Jenny  ;)  they do have outlets listed on the website

Think I will get the 4 x 2 kg bags (a 15 kg bag lasts us 5 months with being 1/2 barf...)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 10:13:32 PM »

I don't know about that but I am suspicious of allergic reactions such as yeast infections and skin infections   :-\

I don't know about the hyperactivity in dogs either but the reason I don't want to use food containing beet pulp any more is because for the last few months Tilly and Rodaidh have had literally one infection after another - Tilly has had her usual yeasty ear infections plus pyoderma and Rodaidh has been getting recurrent wet eczema/hot spots which are very itchy and painful for him and are a nightmare to get rid of. They're both very 'itchy' and having spoken to the vet and a few other people, including Robbie Burns at the SKC show and the Yumega people, I think it is very possible that it is stemming from a reaction to their current food. I'm not the only one who has noticed this with AG and itchiness and skin infections either and the only way to find out is to stop using it but it's not that easy to find a good alternative!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 10:20:27 PM »

Jessie has had a few ear infections too.  She had some new biscuits recently, which were a good quality, but had beet pulp in them, wonder if it's any connection. >:D

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 10:56:33 PM »
I'm not looking to change ours as (touch wood!) they're doing well with what they're on but just wondered if they do any other varieties than rabbit?! I couldn't see any and it seems to be there usp so I'm guessing not?

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 11:09:43 PM »
I'm not looking to change ours as (touch wood!) they're doing well with what they're on but just wondered if they do any other varieties than rabbit?! I couldn't see any and it seems to be there usp so I'm guessing not?

no they don't...but then I guess fish4dogs are fairly limited with their flavours too  ph34r :lol2:
helen & jarvis x

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 11:57:37 PM »
Ooooh looks good and they stock it in our local pet store, Belle is on Burns at the moment and doing fine on it but if you do change to it and approve please let us know as I do like the look of the ingredients list and you never know when you may need an alternative ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 10:03:34 AM »

no they don't...but then I guess fish4dogs are fairly limited with their flavours too  ph34r :lol2:

Yes, sort of fish or fishier fish! No, the only reason I ask, and this is going to sound very very terrible so pleeeeeeease don't shout at me  ph34r ph34r ph34r but I can't bare the thought of them eating bunnies  ph34r ph34r There...I said it!! I'm going to get laughed out of COL!!  :005: I know I know, they have the turkies in JWB and the Fish in F4D but I just can't bare the thought of the farmed bunnies. Scuttles off and hides!!  ph34r

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 11:47:40 AM »
I have trouble finding food for Jessie as she is allergic/intolerant to lots of things....sugarbeet being one of them, soya another and believe it or not brown and white rice.... >:(  She is also allergic to Pork so the Burns Hypoallergenic Pork and Potato is a no go...

So we ended up feeding her a prescription diet for ages (RC SC24) but it was so expensive and made her poo and pong lol....she is now fed Burns Fish and Maize and is doing well....

I got really excited at the healthy paws treats until I saw they contained brown rice....we struggle to find tasty healthy treats she can have!!

Offline jessnjimmy

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 07:35:42 PM »
Nicola, I wondered if you ever tried the Burns high energy lamb and rice?  I know it's got beet fibre in it but wondered if you had tried it.  .I asked John Burns via e mail why the higher energy recipes Burns make including the canine active, canine extra and high energy lamb all contain beet fibre.

His reply was that when they first trialled the canine active on  greyhounds at a kennel near them, they found that the hounds were having diarrhoea without the addition of the fibre the beet supplied.    He then went on to say that probably most dogs could do without it being in the food but it would mean retrialling and changing all the packaging.

He also said in his e mail that allergies to beet pulp are quite rare  :huh:

Interesting though as I have always been curious as to why the higher energy recipes ( 3 of them) all contain beet fibre.
Linda, Jess and Jimmy xxxxxxxxx

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 07:59:50 PM »
both Nicola and I have tried burns - and our dogs not only lost interest in eating but they lost condition and got scurfy skin and dull fur.

Some kibbles, despite the theory, don't suit every dog   :-\
helen & jarvis x

Offline jessnjimmy

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 08:14:35 PM »
Hi Helen

was it the high energy lamb recipe?
Linda, Jess and Jimmy xxxxxxxxx