Author Topic: Black mould poisoning  (Read 2008 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Black mould poisoning
« on: August 13, 2023, 02:14:54 PM »
Hi, I was unsure whether it was relevant to post this or not but I can’t get it out of my head and it’s really upset  me.
I learned a couple of days ago that Humphrey’s litter brother, Freddy, a beautiful little black cocker had sadly died of poisoning by black mould!!. Freddy‘s mum had to go into hospital for a while and Freddy went to stay with her son. After a short while Freddy was being terribly sick, eyes were bulging (I‘ll spare you the photos but he looked awful) and couldn’t stand,  despite infusions and emergency treatment he sadly didn’t make it. The vet diagnosed black mould poisoning and after a lot of investigations, the son pulled back the wallpaper on the wall where Freddy‘s bed had been and discovered black mould had set in.
I‘ve never heard of anything like this happening before, the family (who I‘ve never met but have social media contact with) are naturally distraught. After an extremely wet winter and summer, our cellar‘s showing signs of rising damp, although the house is fine,  and I‘m panicking! Humphrey’s not allowed down there at all now.
I was aware that mould wasn’t exactly healthy but had no idea it could have such drastic results.
Just another thing to be aware of in the future!  :'(

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Re: Black mould poisoning
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 03:42:36 PM »
Oh, that's so sad! It's been in the news here in the UK because a sweet little boy died in a house with mould, the landlord did nothing to tackle the problem. It pops up reguarly in the news, with people in rented properties being made ill because their houses are damp and mouldy.
Poor little dog, suppose it affected him worse being small and close to it.
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 03:46:58 PM »
Jayne, this is really tragic and so very alarming that something so hidden can cause this. Poor little fellow - bless him.

Sadly however I feel we are only to aware of this from a very dreadful death of a wee boy in social housing in Rochdale. The tragic case brought to light this dreadful threat of mould and it dangers.  My understanding is the spores can cause breathing difficulties.  Here is a link https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63642856

As for your home am sure a dehumidifer and some mould treatment will get rid of it completly - just try and get fresh air in there and who ever does it wear masks.  Plus emulsion paint helps I believe.  Just to be safe wear a mask if you go down there for too long....but Jayne I feel the little dog was exposed to it for quite a long time and in a confined space.

Hugs to Humph and you both

Julie

Keep Humph safe
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2023, 08:06:07 PM »
Thanks for the link Julie. How very tragic!