Author Topic: dreaded pet insurance again!  (Read 3351 times)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
dreaded pet insurance again!
« on: November 25, 2008, 03:38:26 PM »
Apologies to begin with for bringing this up again.  I have gone through old threads and, going by people's comments and advice, decided to get a quote from Healthy Pets. The last post I read on here about them the poster had got the gold cover for £5 odd per month. (As had several other people). Well, not me! They want over £28 per month from me!  >:D That's even more than petplan! Anyone got any other suggestions?

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
Re: dreaded pet insurance again!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 04:08:26 PM »
Dont know if this is true but someone told me Tesco are good.HTH  ;)
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline puddsmum

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 04:13:10 PM »
I don't understand why you're quoted so much for Healthy Pets - I pay £16+ for all 3 dogs per month.

I know they charge more for some breeds than others - my daughter rescued a Rottie puppy, & she pays more for her than her other dogs.

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 04:18:22 PM »
I don't understand why you're quoted so much for Healthy Pets - I pay £16+ for all 3 dogs per month.

I know they charge more for some breeds than others - my daughter rescued a Rottie puppy, & she pays more for her than her other dogs.

Yes, its very peculiar. I just put my postcode in, Chloes name, age (7months), neutered (she isnt but will be soon), and thats what came up! I could understand it if I lived in a high risk area for crime or some such thing, but I'm in the middle of the country!!!! Maybe thats the reason, maybe they think cockers are more likely to need vet treatment if they live in the country?   

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 04:43:46 PM »
Mine are on Healthy pets and it's low at the moment (£7 for Dave and £8 for my Weim)... However, I believe there was a thread not that long ago about them being bought out by a different underwriter and so costs going up to fall in line with some of the other insurers???

Which would explain your quote...  :-\

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Slave of Baxter

• Site Member
  • Baxter A.K.A. 'Bimble-bottom'
    • Dreamweezle Ferret & Small Animal Bedding
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 04:48:33 PM »

I took out insurance for Baxter nearly 2 years ago when he was a pup with Healthy pets... and am paying £20 a month.

My four cats and Dillon are with Pet Plan so I am moving Baxter to them this month.
Jo
Owned by Baxter & Dillon living in Warwickshire

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 04:52:18 PM »
I just put in for a quote for Smudge & Katie and they came up with £234 per annum for the Bronze
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline BabyB

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 05:06:55 PM »
All four of mine are with Pet Plan, 2 aged 10yrs, 1 aged 2yrs and the other  >:D is 15mths.  I pay about £80 per month.  But I cannot fault them, they've just paid out £600 after excess for Dylies op last month.
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline Selwoc

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 05:22:51 PM »
....... decided to get a quote from Healthy Pets. The last post I read on here about them the poster had got the gold cover for £5 odd per month. (As had several other people). Well, not me! They want over £28 per month from me!  >:D That's even more than petplan! Anyone got any other suggestions?
The Healthy Pets premium does vary an awful lot depending on where you live. I have tried three different post codes all Lizzie's details (DoB 25th Aug 2008), for their Gold plan.
I live in South Oxfordshire, my quote was for £22, Taunton was £15, North West London £31. There may be an even greater difference in other areas.
For the cover offered, we decided to go with Healthy Pets.

Offline tillyson

• i belive i can fly
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 06:45:47 PM »
i changed recently to petquard
pay £20.19 but you tailor make the insurance to suit you
how much cover and what you want to include etc
chantelle & Tilly

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 07:09:08 PM »
Ive just sorted Alfies out with Greenbee insurance - they were loads cheaper than PetPlan

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline dizzymare

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 07:09:44 PM »
I too got a more expensive quote with healthy pets.  We finally went with petguard, and pay £19 per month for their best cover (I think £7000 per year), but as tillyson says you can tailor quote to suit yourself.

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 02:54:06 PM »
I did Reuben with Healthy Pets last month and it is £15.57 for their gold cover. It jumped up slightly as when i did it online, i put him as female,(for some reason males are more expensive) only by £1.50 though. Im in the North West. I thought it was quite reasonable.

REUBY DOOO!

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 04:09:43 PM »
Thanks for your really helpful replies. I think I shall have to phone Healthy Pets and try to find out why my quote was so high. I can't understand why I'm being penalised (or so it appears) by where I live!!!. I shall defitely investigate all your suggestions; I'm so hopeless at this kind of thing, I'm never sure I fully understand the wording of the policies  :huh: Can I ask another question? What do you guys look for in terms of the cover you want? Just a few suggestions please and why such and such a cover is important to you. Thanks  ;)

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 04:17:08 PM »
To be honest, i am quite happy to have just back up for accident and illness. That £5000 would have gone a long long way to helping my Charley and hindsight is a wonderful thing. Im happy with just that tbh.

REUBY DOOO!