Author Topic: Insurance - do we have a definitive answer?  (Read 4958 times)

Offline Kimberley

• Site Member
Re: Insurance - do we have a definitive answer?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2009, 10:29:13 AM »
Don't touch E&L with the proverbial bargepole!

I agree a utter pain in the backside, nightmare in fact.
Kim is owned by Coco, Breeze the Cockers and Charlie the (failed foster)Cavi

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2009, 12:42:27 PM »
I don't really have any idea of treatment costs. Is it easy to get say £2500 bills? Or more?
Do most everyday treatments (swallowed a sock, cut a pad, grass seed) cost enough that you'ld bother to claim if the excess is say £60?

When my first cocker Indie was diagnosed with kidney failure, the bill was just under £4000 after two weeks, (and she was only hospitalised for one week). 
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline JackieD

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2009, 01:45:55 PM »
We are with More Than, £16 a month with what appears to be all singing all dancing policy, it is at a discount though as it is in conjunction with a thing our vet was running.
Never had a claim (touches wood for saying that) but should we have to, only have the ecxess of £70 to pay to the vet and they deal direct with insurance, so I am happy with that for now at least

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2009, 01:59:09 PM »
Thanks all, I have gone to greenbee for now for Gizzy and will change Wherry over at a later date. Around £15 for a very comprehensive cover.
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

QuietScribe

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2009, 02:10:47 PM »
I was hesitant when looking at morethan because:

*  Morethan doesnt cover dental work unless its because of an accident, so not sure if breaking a tooth on something would be covered,
*  Any problems resulting from pregnancy, giving birth or rearing puppies or kittens. So I am uncertain as to whether a bitch that got an (infected?) womb, .. i know there is a proper term for it, but I can't recall right now.  A friend who had an un-neutered bitch got this, it was life threatening and would have to be operated on.  
*  Any cost relating to transplant surgery, including any postoperative care.  Not sure how common this one is to get, but thats a major type of surgery not being covered.
* The cost of hiring a swimming pool, hydrotherapy pool, any other pool or hydrotherapy equipment. Again, I am not sure if this would be really that useful, but its something they don't cover.

There are other things as well, but one thing I did notice was that sometimes pet insurers will make you pay the excess on subsequent trips to the vet if the diagnosis takes a time to get.  So if you had to go to the vet 3 times to try and find what the problem was, you would have to pay excess 3 times.  I havnt been able to work out if Morethan does this.

Perhaps though you could help me understand this bit:
After you have claimed the maximum benefit for an illness, injury
or clinical signs, we will not pay the cost of any more treatment
for:
– the same illness or injury; or,
– the same clinical signs; or,
– an illness or injury with the same diagnosis or clinical signs as
the illness or clinical signs you have claimed the maximum benefit
for; or,
– an injury or illness that is caused by, relates to or results from
an injury, illness or clinical sign that you have claimed the
maximum benefit for, no matter where the clinical signs, illness

It all looks quite streight forward, however, what if say your dog got .. umm.. a broken leg.  Would that be seen as the same illness or injury with the same diagnosis or clinical signs etc, or would that be seen as an entirely new one.  What if it was something else, like a breathing problem, that if the dog had had a breathing problem in the past, but then in future was perhaps in an accident and needed treatment for a collapsed lung or something.. thats the same sort of breathing difficulties.  

Its things like this that totally get to me, cause most of the time we know that the insurance companies will do what they can to not pay out, or make it as difficult as possible.

Offline JackieD

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2009, 02:39:30 PM »
Hmmmm am gonna wade my way through all my policy docs again as renewal is due in a couple of months, you have me worried now even though I haven't claimed (touching wood again)  :huh: