Author Topic: Insurance or put money in an ISA for "that big bill"  (Read 5763 times)

Offline Neon

• Donator
Re: Insurance or put money in an ISA for "that big bill"
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2012, 06:13:56 PM »
I'd be really worried if Toby was not insured.  In the last few months, he has had about three tummy upsets, each one being just within or just over the excess amount so we haven't made any claims.  Last week, he had another tummy bug and the bill was just over £76.  The excess is £65 (and the vet charges £5.50 to fill out an insurance claim form) so it wasn't worth making a claim.  What we have been doing though is putting coins into a jar to cover something like this.  There was £50 in it last week so I only had to pay £26.  OK so I'm paying an insurance premium every month but to me, that's a financial safety net if anything seriously expensive ever crops up.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 08:25:47 PM »
I don't know about these days but farm animals used to cost hardly anything.  I remember once being charged £2.50 to castrate a young tup (I'd not managed the job properly myself with a rubber ring (don't ask - it happens  :embarassed:) and I think castrating a dog around that time was about £45.

Offline fionad

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 08:36:11 PM »
Zara,s insurance renewal was exactly double the price of last year. When I enquired why this should be I was told that it was because this breed had more claims last year. So I said that I was having to pay out for other peoples dogs and not just my own. I have decided to pay into a savings account for my three. It worked for dear Penny Black. I saved enough to cover her final few months comfortably. If we have a major disaster then I will have to deal with it at the time. Not a perfect solution but the best I can do for me.