Author Topic: Anyone taken their puppy on the train?  (Read 967 times)

Offline Billys mum

Anyone taken their puppy on the train?
« on: July 28, 2014, 02:02:05 PM »
Was thinking of taking Billy on a train this week to a park with the kids. Would be about 20 mins on the train but I'm a bit nervous as it will all be new for him, noisy, movement, people etc. He is 7 months old and happy to meet new people but not sure how he'll find the train. Any tips?

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
Re: Anyone taken their puppy on the train?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 02:17:54 PM »
I use to regularly take George and Hamish on the train to visit my Mum, when she was alive,  when they where a lot younger than Billy in fact i carried them in a puppy sack, so it would have been before they wre allowed on the floor :shades: , the journey time was about an hour, they mainly settled under the seat, occassionally if they saw another dog, they might start to bark ph34r but soon stopped. Perhaps, you could try Billy on a short train journey, when it is not too busy ;)
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 02:21:08 PM »
I bought Minstrel home on the train, but he was only 8 weeks at the time and so small enough to be in a carrier.

I do take him on the bus though and once he has settled, he is ok. Make sure  Billy has been for a reasonable walk and done the biz before taking him. Try to keep him calm (probably easier said than done) I don't allow Minstrel to make a fuss of folks - just a cursory 'hello' otherwise he does not stop wanting a fuss from all and sundry - and could become a nuisance.

I found as with anything puppy related, it was easier if I built up journey time rather than go too far too soon.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 03:35:41 PM »
Ollies been on a train a couple of times, he sat quietly and was no trouble at all, most unlike him.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 03:58:42 PM »
Mollie has been on a train when she was about 1 1/2.  She was fine.  I thought she'd be fidgety but she was fine.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 06:47:50 PM »
Brodie's been on the train once and was fine - however she goes on the bus quite regularly which I think would be a similar experience for them. She's no bother, just sits on my knee and looks out the window. One thing to expect is that they can get quite a bit of attention, which thankfully Brodie loves, but you do get people sitting their kids next to you or touching your dog without asking so it's one thing to watch out for. On one journey I turned around to see a toddler pulling on Brodie's tail!

I think if there's going to be a problem it would probably be at the train station, especially if it's a big busy one as it could be a bit overwhelming for them. But I think if you let him take his time and give him lots of encouragement he will be fine.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Billys mum

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 08:42:53 PM »
That's encouraging. Sometimes it's hard to know whether to take him with us or would it be fairer to leave him at home. Wish I could read his mind!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 08:53:21 PM »
That's encouraging. Sometimes it's hard to know whether to take him with us or would it be fairer to leave him at home. Wish I could read his mind!

Yep!! life would be a lot simpler, certainly  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 09:50:37 PM »
If it's a short journey and you're reasonably confident he'll be fine, I would go for it. Or even take him to the train station for a quick visit just to have a look around and see how he is. Hopefully once he's had a good look round and seen a train or two from a distance he'll realise there's nothing scary going on. If you do go ahead, I would carry him on and off the train - I'm a bit paranoid about that part :P

x In memory of Barney x

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 10:00:52 PM »
Have taken Honey, the only trouble is she either wants to sit on my lap or on the seat next to me >:(  It took her quite a while to settle, just as we were about to get off.....
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 08:35:07 AM »
We didn't get him as a pup but we often go on trains on holiday  ;)

Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline JamiesGirl

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 08:51:24 AM »
I took Jamie on the train to delamere forest for the first time when he was 7 years :) he was a bit nervous but lots of 'happy voice' and a few treats sorted that out. Now he loves going on the train or bus x
🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 09:21:15 AM »
Yes - from an early age.  Just go prepared.  Take portable water bowl, treats, toys etc  A kong would be perfect if he likes them.

If he is a typical nosy cocker he will take it in his stride.  A harness is a must to help keep him away from his meet and greet targets (strangely not all people like dogs....weirdos  ;) )   Jarvis just thinks that all the passengers are his loyal subjects coming to see him  :lol2:
helen & jarvis x

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 12:45:04 PM »
Penny loves going on the steam train on the ny moors but Her biggest adventure fordus going  to Howath and changing at Leeds not bothered at all and even going steady up and down stairs for me Have picture having meal at station she has also been on a rowing boat down the river Eske As others have said your puppy shpuld get used to itx
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 03:18:12 PM »
Why don't you do a trial run.  Just take him one stop?