Author Topic: Feeding Advice  (Read 370 times)

Offline JPalmer48

Feeding Advice
« on: July 30, 2014, 10:44:58 AM »
I have searched the board and read about suggestions but wondered if anyone could give some really good advice about food. My 11week nearly 12 week old puppy was being fed Royal Canin Medium Junior and the breeder gave me a bag of it to carry on with but she was having nothing but runny poos so under the advice of the vet I put her on Chicken and Rice and after a week she started firming up nicely. I started re introducing the Royal Canin  and at first it seemed OK but once she was back on just that she seems to be back to runny or very soft and much larger amount, and windy. Today I will put her back on the rice and chicken before trying her on a different food but want to know people's opinions of the brands out there and if they ahve helped thier puppies in a similar situation. I am awaiting some samples from Burns to try and I know there has been mention of this as being a good brand.
Thanks

Offline Betti

Re: Feeding Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 11:12:22 AM »
We had similar issues and I feed Burns very successfully and have had no further issues .

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 12:04:18 PM »
Hello.  Here is a very good site which tells you all about the different foods.

http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/

Offline JPalmer48

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 01:10:56 PM »
Hello.  Here is a very good site which tells you all about the different foods.

http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/
Thanks yes I've looked on that site but quite often there are not many reviews for the foods.

And thanks Betti good to know that Burns worked for your pup.

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 02:26:46 PM »
Both of ours were brought up on Orijen puppy kibble. High protein and needs to be introduced gradually but gains 5 stars on allaboutdogfood and their review says it's "The best dedicated puppy food on the UK market" and "Orijen Puppy really is about as good as it gets".

It's slightly pricier than some other foods but, in my view, a puppy needs the best available during their formative years and both of ours really thrived on it without any problems whatsoever.
Our worker, Chaz, has now moved on to Orijen Adult and our show cocker, Milly, has moved to Acana Adult, another very highly rated food which is made by the same people as Orijen but slightly lower in protein content.

Bob.

Offline JPalmer48

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 07:41:41 PM »
Btw I wondered if I am feeding her enough chicken and rice does anyone havea  guide to how much I should actually be giving her as she seems to be still hungry after I've given her some. The vet told me little and often but I don't find that much help.
Thanks