Author Topic: Puppy has the worst stinky breath ever!! Not sure why....  (Read 409 times)

Offline Vixter

• Site Member
Puppy has the worst stinky breath ever!! Not sure why....
« on: July 30, 2014, 06:08:04 PM »
Hi all,
Just wondered if you had any suggestions.  Isla is 5 months and has just developed the worst breath ever.  She just reeks!!!!
I'm not sure why, I am wondering if she is still teething although I am not sure if this will all be done by now.  No signs of being unwell, lip folds also look a bit wet but hard to tell if it's that or something in her mouth.
Any thoughts?????
Next thought is changing her food, but don't want to go down this route if it's something else .

Offline lesley3165

Re: Puppy has the worst stinky breath ever!! Not sure why....
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 07:48:54 PM »
I remember Meg having the most awful breath when she was teething, it did pass though  :D

Offline Sirius Mum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 09:43:11 PM »
I'm guessing you've checked for lip fold infections. Could she have a problem with a stuck baby tooth ? Are there any problems at the other end? In case it's an upset tummy. I think I would have a quick word with vet in case there's a teething problem. Our last dog had a double adult molar and although we kept it as clean as possible he did need the extra tooth removing when he was about five. It was harder on teething when he cut these two teeth where there should have been one and he did get smelly breathe at that point.

I hope Isla is feeling better soon.
 :bigarmhug:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 10:31:16 PM »
If the smell is that evil but her digestive system is working normally I'd guess at a lip fold infection. The smell really is vile.

I know you've said the folds are a bit wet, but is there any staining there? I don't know what colour Isla is, but when William, who is a mainly white coloured orange roan, used to get lip fold infections, the folds would be stained brown.

I think you may have to do a close up sniff test! Or you could gently wipe the lip folds with a tissue then take a deep breath :P

Teething problems are another possibility, as others have said, but I don't think the breath is really evil unless there's a problem tooth. Will she let you look in her mouth?

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 10:42:36 PM »
Has she been scooting her bottom along the floor?? or does her breath smell like metallic tuna? If so it may be that her anal glands need emptying  :020: hope you solve the problem soon.

Offline Vixter

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 09:01:04 AM »
Think I will be spending most of my day trying to do a sniff test..... Lovely :005:
Thanks for all the suggestions, I reckon it's either mouth/teeth or lip fold as back end smells ok.
Can't get a proper look in her mouth as she won't let me.  Her lip fold is a little dark stained, but hard to tell if it's smelly as again she won't let me get near it.  Have got a vets appt on Tuesday so will get him to have a really good look.
If it is lip fold does the fact she is getting them this young mean it's going to be a recurrent problem or could the lip folds grow out a bit as she gets older and her muzzle grows?