Author Topic: How to introduce my dog to another  (Read 423 times)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
How to introduce my dog to another
« on: October 24, 2014, 09:46:10 PM »
Ollie is going to get his nose pushed out as his beloved Nana is getting a dog.
He adores his Nana and we need to introduce them carefully....several people have suggested to do it over several weeks via walking them together and not invading each others space at first.

Any help and ideas please....have got to make this work as MIL comes and stays at Christmas.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: How to introduce my dog to another
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 10:19:48 PM »
I think introducing them on neutral territory, such as your suggestion of walking them together, is a good idea. Does Ollie ever show signs of jealousy? That's the problem I have with Louis, not so much with me or my OH, but with my best friend, whom Louis adores. When we walk our dogs together Louis becomes nastily jealous of any dogs that approach my friend and guards her unless she's quick enough to realise what he's going to do and walks away to stop the situation escalating.

Hopefully Ollie will be more interested in meeting a new dog and making friends with it than being jealous, but please watch out for signs of it.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: How to introduce my dog to another
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 08:54:54 AM »
Hi Elaine

Ollie can be quiet timid when out on Thursday several friendly dogs approached and he ran to OH to lift him up :luv:

But he has guarding issues not his toys but me!!! In the house is the main problem we have to shut him away if a workman comes.  However,  he will make friends with lady's and the groomer sees him jump excitedly out of the car to be picked up and she is then covered in cocker kisses.  The groomer mentions he goes mad when her OH brings her a drink so she tells him to leave it outside when he goes away she gets it!!!At the vets he is so good will sit in waiting room with no probs - infact it is the other dogs who are worked up with the presence of other animals.   Went to Dogs Trust event and he was very good.

Seems his home turf is the problem.

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed