Author Topic: Urine killing my lawn  (Read 2293 times)

Offline AndyB

• Donator
Urine killing my lawn
« on: June 09, 2021, 06:33:23 AM »
For the last couple of months I have been diligently marking the spot where Maisie has a wee on my lawn to try and minimise the damage.  I pour half a watering can of water onto the spot each time I catch her, and I am watching her like a hawk.  However there does not really seem to be any great improvement in the number of brown patches on my grass.  Short of placing a small stick in the lawn at every point where she has had a wee and waiting to see what happens, (not very practical when I am having to cut the lawn almost twice a week at the moment), I am at a bit of a loss.  Has anyone else used this method with success and does anyone know of a sure fire method of preventing the brown patches. 

I have to say Maisie has an iron bladder and probably only does perhaps 3/4 wees on the lawn each day, bearing in mind she obviously has a wee on her walks.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Offline ChrisS

Re: Urine killing my lawn
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 07:18:15 AM »
I have the same issue. A second cocker arrived in December and toilet training wiped out a lot of the grass. Since May the grass has started to grow back. I’m guessing this will continue until the hot weather stops the grass growing.
Water certainly helps but experience over the last couple of years suggests it’s a losing battle.
Also tried over seeding in April but the seeds didn’t germinate due to the cold dry weather.  In the past we have done this in May and September when we have gone on holiday and this has helped. With lock down etc this didn’t happen last year.
Very interested in any suggestions.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 09:20:46 AM »
Oh I‘ve given up trying to maintain a lovely garden and happy cocker! :005: seed labels get pulled out so I‘ve no idea what‘s coming up where, a flower bed evidently offers a better observation point to lie and watch me weeding than the lawn and now the strawberry season is upon us the veggie plot has to guarded like Fort Knox. Humphrey’s wee seems to be very nutritional though, we‘ve got little tufts in the lawn where the grass seems to grow twice as fast and is thicker and greener :huh: Does the male and female urine differ?
( I‘ve heard Bob Flowerdew on GQT promoting urinating on the compost heap  :005: :005:)
But sorry AndyB, other than water, I‘ve no further suggestions unless you can somehow encourage Maisie to use a designated toilet area....but that‘s probably not easy once the house training period is over I‘d imagine..

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 09:39:26 AM »
My grass is completely ruined with numerous brown circles caused by my two girls.  I know there are stones you can put in the water bowl and minerals you can give but I am not keen on doing this just for the appearance of my grass.  In the past, I have tried watering after they have weed but have now given up and resigned myself that the brown circles are the price I have to pay for having two wonderful girlies.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 10:35:41 AM »
When we had our first cocker Fern as a pup we used to get tomato juice and freeze it in ice cube trays and defrost and put it with her food, this really helped.  Check the ingredients as I know they add salt etc so make sure you are comfortable with the amounts.

You could google it as I think that's where we got the idea from - unless it was on here!! It got better as she got older/after being spayed
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 05:31:36 AM »
Thanks for your replies. Well it sounds as if I am completely wasting my time, and the water.  I had thought if the urine was really well diluted immediately it would not cause any damage, how wrong was I.  I popped round to my next door neighbour yesterday and she had cut her lawn the previous day, I just sat there looking at this beautifully manicured green lawn, with NO brown patches.  BUT she's worth it.   :luv: :luv: :luv:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 06:53:31 AM »
Thanks for your replies. Well it sounds as if I am completely wasting my time, and the water.  I had thought if the urine was really well diluted immediately it would not cause any damage, how wrong was I.  I popped round to my next door neighbour yesterday and she had cut her lawn the previous day, I just sat there looking at this beautifully manicured green lawn, with NO brown patches.  BUT she's worth it.   :luv: :luv: :luv:

Exactly! - and when its evening and no one can see if the lawn is green or brown, you‘ll be curled up on the couch enjoying cuddles with Maisie while your neighbour’s fretting about how to keep the weeds at bay tomorrow! The grass is, literally, always greener on the other side, - some people are proud of their gardens, others are proud of their kids and dogs - I know which group I‘m in.  ;) ;)  - and you can be SO proud of yourself and Maisie!  :luv: :luv:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 01:23:23 PM »

Exactly! - and when its evening and no one can see if the lawn is green or brown, you‘ll be curled up on the couch enjoying cuddles with Maisie while your neighbour’s fretting about how to keep the weeds at bay tomorrow! The grass is, literally, always greener on the other side, - some people are proud of their gardens, others are proud of their kids and dogs - I know which group I‘m in.  ;) ;)  - and you can be SO proud of yourself and Maisie!  :luv: :luv:

Wow our very own resident psychologist Bizzy Lizzy.....love it  :rofl1: :rofl1: it really is so true - just think what Joe Bloggs next door is missing......P.S our lawn is several shades of green as hubby sprinkles grass seed on offending areas.

Love to Maisie :luv:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 04:09:28 PM »

:shades: :shades: Next please......just lie on the couch... :shades: :lol: :lol: :rofl1:

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 12:00:14 PM »
We used to have moles so i’d patch the lawn by either cutting turf from another area or buying a turf metre. In this heat it’ll be hard to keep it damp enough to bed in. My lawn is starting to brown from the sun and last summer it looked like a desert so I don’t cut it as low now.

John.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2021, 09:27:48 AM »
Being boys, my two wee up the big flower urns  around the edge of the  lawn, and the area around each one is completely void of anything growing including grass, but looking on the bright side it does mean I don't have to move the urns when I mow as they have an approx 6" circle of bare ground round each one  ;)  :shades:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2021, 07:10:37 PM »
We had a lawn once, it was beautiful.  Fond memories.