Author Topic: No luck so far with the Ombudsman re Axa  (Read 3719 times)

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
No luck so far with the Ombudsman re Axa
« on: November 15, 2013, 08:37:20 PM »
 >:D
So, got a call from an adjudicator at the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) today to tell me that they are not upholding my claim, as they do not believe that Axa has discriminated against me or treated me unfairly. She said that my case wasn't unusual. Well, I can't imagine that there are hundreds of other people with 600% increases who haven't made some kind of public fuss or enquiry like me. There's only one other person in the FB group that's got a huge increase (some others are huge, but not 100%+ increases, let alone 600%+). I will get the full details in the post tomorrow, which will also have details on how to appeal this decision - ie, follow up with a more senior Ombudsman. She did mention that the Financial Control Authority (replaced the FSA) is looking into regulation of the insurance industry. Perhaps is the FOS wasn't so busy with millions of PPI mis-selling claims they might have come to a different conclusion...?

It totally ruined my day! It's not even really about the money now, as I've left Axa and am paying 20% more with PetPlan (and hopefully Henry will only need one more £160 check-up rather than a £3000 operation for his cataract - thank god!!), but the principle of it. They just cannot be allowed to get away with this!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE everyone leave Axa! Not just for their pet insurance either. I mean check all your insurance companies to see if they are underwritten by them and then CHANGE INSURERS! I will advise everyone I know to tell everyone they know - this company is unscrupulous and should not be allowed to do business in this country if this is how they treat customers.

I am absolutely determined to get some positive result for this - partly for others who are less financially able to deal with the consequences as I am (thankfully) and partly because it has just made me so angry (as you can probably tell!).

Watchdog's clearly useless, so I will probably try national newspapers (I imagine the Daily Mail would love a story like this, although I was thinking more along the lines of the Times or Telegraph). Anyone got any contacts?

Offline ali2010

Re: No luck so far with the Ombudsman re Axa
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 10:00:40 PM »
Sophie know this but will tell everyone else, AXA have increased our insuranc to 642%. I also complained to the ombudsman and  agai  they have not upheld our complaint.

Sophie do you think we should both go to th Daily Mail together?

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 10:47:30 PM »
Sophie know this but will tell everyone else, AXA have increased our insuranc to 642%. I also complained to the ombudsman and  agai  they have not upheld our complaint.

Sophie do you think we should both go to th Daily Mail together?
I think we should wait to get the outcome from the senior Ombudsman before we pursue any paper (no doubt that will take another few weeks). I think the Daily Mail might be just the place though, dare I admit it!

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 01:46:47 PM »
thanks so much for the replies....we will probably go with John Lewis.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 01:49:35 PM »
Jinley is insured with Sainsbury's who were underwritten by Axa.  I was waiting for the renewal to see what increase there was going to be.  Thankfully they are now underwritten  by AllianZ so have stayed with them for another year.

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 06:07:31 PM »
I find that unbelievable that they don't think it's unfair!  Thought they were there to protect the public from unscrupulous companies!

Offline ali2010

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 10:40:56 AM »
I find that unbelievable that they don't think it's unfair!  Thought they were there to protect the public from unscrupulous companies!

I thought the same! Its absolutely disgraceful that AXA have done this and the Ombudsman thinks its fair

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 12:14:06 PM »
I still don't have the letter from the FOS explaining the decision - in spite of it being sent out first class on Friday it didn't arrive yesterday! So will have to wait until I get home from work on Monday to see the details and consider my response. It's very frustrating how long this is being dragged out. I got the renewal notice on 27th August.
The woman on the phone said that they can only make recommendations to the insurance company if there is proof that the customer has been discriminated against; ie been treated differently from other customers. But apart from Alison (Ali2010) we seem to be the only ones who've been treated like this, and it is entirely due to our dogs having existing conditions. If it wasn't then surely everyone else who had an Axa policy and a dog with an existing condition would have had 600%+ increases?

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 09:32:24 PM »
Just thought I'd post an update on this.
Basically there isn't one! I've had two letters from the FOS telling me that they're really busy and that they'll update me within 6 months!!! Yes, 6 months. So if I don't hear anything until the end of the 6 months it'll be 11 since the initial letter from Axa. Ridiculous! Had no idea that it might take this long, especially since they were so swift to start with.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 09:11:29 AM »
http://www.flametv.co.uk/Dom/dontgetdone.html

Might not help but can't hurt! :blink:
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe