Author Topic: Pet insurance  (Read 2803 times)

Offline DarceyTheDog

• Shutterbugs of shadwell
Pet insurance
« on: February 24, 2011, 07:18:38 PM »
It's time to renew where do you get your insurance from? And how affordable is it?
Katie, Darcey and Mitsy

Offline mooching

Re: Pet insurance
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 07:36:18 PM »
Alfie's with Pet Plan, as is my cat Tabitha, and as was Flinty and Toby and cat Barney before them.

Pet Plan are the only insurers that my vet will deal with directly, so that's our main reason for being with them. I don't want to be doing with having to pay the vet first and then claim it back from the insurers (especially if it involves hundreds or even thousands as it was with Flinty); add to that the fact that they are very quick to settle and also have paid out for things that other insurers won't cover, such as some dental stuff that Flinty and Tabitha needed. They're not cheap, but I feel their cover has been worth every penny so far.

Offline DarceyTheDog

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 08:49:09 PM »
It won't do a life time quote for Darcey! So don't really want to go with them if they can't do that. But thanks for the recommendation. 
Katie, Darcey and Mitsy

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 08:54:22 PM »
I think they only insure for covered with life (Petplan) if insurance is taken out before the 8th birthday.   

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 08:56:34 PM »
I think Marks and Spencer do not have an upper age limit but not sure how good they are or how expensive. 

Offline black taz

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 09:41:04 PM »
Were with Healthy Pets - but my dad has just got a really good deal with the PDSA.

Offline DarceyTheDog

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 06:35:56 AM »
Yep she's fine but she's 8 so maybe that's the reason  :huh:
Katie, Darcey and Mitsy

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 09:15:03 AM »
I think Tescos are doing a good deal at the moment (not sure what the upper age limit is).

We were with Healthy Pets but got a huge price increase (almost double) which seemed excessive for 4 young dogs and the fact that I'd never claimed.  Now with Sainsbury's which was comparitively reasonable with a high level over cover.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline karen488

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 09:00:45 AM »
Has anyone heard of
Pet-insurance.co.uk?
They've been recommended by a friend and seem massively cheaper to anything else I've looked at.

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 09:16:34 AM »
i got a super deal with Argos pet insurance and they do a whole range of different covers to choose from, you can get a quote online :D

Offline Miadanu

• Donator
  • Merlin
    • COL Sussex Meetups Information Thread
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 12:37:56 PM »
Merlin is with healthy pets after we looked at cost / cover of various places a few months back. Things may have changed since then.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 12:56:54 PM »
Pet Plan are the only insurers that my vet will deal with directly, so that's our main reason for being with them. I don't want to be doing with having to pay the vet first and then claim it back from the insurers (especially if it involves hundreds or even thousands as it was with Flinty); add to that the fact that they are very quick to settle and also have paid out for things that other insurers won't cover, such as some dental stuff that Flinty and Tabitha needed. They're not cheap, but I feel their cover has been worth every penny so far.

Just out of interest, do your vets charge for dealing directly with Petplan?

I claim almost on a monthly basis at the moment due to Billys allergies. I pay the vet and then claim back from Petplan. My vet will deal direct with PP but charge £11 for each claim, so I don't bother and claim it myself.

I can understand why they charge, but just wondered if it was the norm?

Offline mooching

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 01:02:45 PM »

I claim almost on a monthly basis at the moment due to Billys allergies. I pay the vet and then claim back from Petplan. My vet will deal direct with PP but charge £11 for each claim, so I don't bother and claim it myself.

That's ridiculous! I've never heard of such a thing before! My current vet doesn't charge, nor did my late Cavi's cardiologist, nor did our previous vet on the Isle of Wight. They only have to stick the form in an envelope, post it to PetPlan, then make a note of it when PetPlan settle (which is normally within a week or so, they're very quick).

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 02:48:09 PM »

My vets deal directly with Petplan as had to give the policy number for Quinn this week, I still had to pay the bill  and they send off the details direct to Petplan and Petplan refund me.     There is no avoiding not paying up front here, I had to use my credit card.   

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 03:56:37 PM »
My vets deal directly with Petplan as had to give the policy number for Quinn this week, I still had to pay the bill  and they send off the details direct to Petplan and Petplan refund me.     There is no avoiding not paying up front here, I had to use my credit card.   

Thats what I do  :blink: , but my vets will actually bill petplan directly so I don't have to pay them anything and Petplan then reimburse my vets, but they charge £11 per claim for doing so so I don't bother. I just pay it and claim it back ( but my vets send off the claim form etc)