Author Topic: Changing insurance companys questions  (Read 2267 times)

Offline c19unn

• Donator
Changing insurance companys questions
« on: October 04, 2011, 09:49:35 AM »
Hey guys,
I am going to change insurance companys as i have noticed that others are paying a lot less than what i am for the same benefits
I am currently with Pet Plan

However i need some advice

1. Can i cancel my policy with pet plan at any time?
2. As Pet Plan put a skin condition exclusion with Diesel in his current policy but the diagnosis is Harvest mites, what would i need to advise the new company - Pet plan put down the skin exclusion as my first vets were investigating a skin condition - However when i changed vets, he was found to have harvest mites and the mites have since gone after treatment of Harvest mites and Diesel is now 100% better.

Any advice at all thanks
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline karen488

Re: Changing insurance companys questions
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 09:53:10 AM »
You can cancel very easily with immed effect. but a new insurer won't cover you for 2 weeks. Find the new policy before cancelling the old one. You will have to go through all the skin / mite issue with them. They wont cover you if they find out that you have withheld information. (am no expert but this is my understanding)

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 09:54:53 AM »
Yeah i thought so however he does not have a skin condition and not sure how difficult it is going to be to explain this to new company  :huh:
My name is Diesel

Offline karen488

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 09:56:14 AM »
Didn't you mention that you had a vets report? Just talk to them about it in detail and offer to send them the paperwork. You may have to ring a few though.

Offline BillysMum

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 10:01:55 AM »
i'm currently thinking of changing too. I phoned one company who said they usually get a years report from your vet but if your vet can argue that any future diagnosis is nothing to do with any past diagnosis then they should cover it.

Offline seaangler

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 10:05:56 AM »
i'm currently thinking of changing too. I phoned one company who said they usually get a years report from your vet but if your vet can argue that any future diagnosis is nothing to do with any past diagnosis then they should cover it.

Thats a good point to remember..Thanks..Chris

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 10:14:32 AM »
My vet sends the full pet history to insurers - I was told that this saves time, because invariably the insurance company will ask for it.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 11:04:39 AM »
Ok so if i have 2 vet historys - i.e Prev vets with all the skin condition crap on it and the new vets with his diagnosis and treatment should i ask prev vets for copys of his history and then send that in with a copy from the new vet?
Hate insurance - I just wanna get it right lol
My name is Diesel

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 11:16:32 AM »
I think you'll need to send both. If your new insurer subsequently found out that you'd withheld veterinary imformation they might cancel your cover and you would then probably find it difficult to get cover with another insurer.

I don't know what the 2 vet reports say, but perhaps you could ask the second vet to add a covering letter to his report confirming that his diagnosis was harvest mites, not a skin condition, and that treatment was successful.

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 11:27:51 AM »
The new vet has given me 2 reports - one when he was first seen and started treatment and a second when diesel went back 2 weeks later
Both included wat the previous vet had said and what his diagnosis and results were
So im guessing that these should be enough ? along wit all his history from both vets ?
My name is Diesel

Offline SteveB

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 12:16:48 PM »
Had a good deal yesterday from the PDSA and having a free meercat sent me as well :lol:
Kept on forgetting to insure Tia but after the weekends events with Troy though I had better do something
The other 3 are with Animal Friends. So while I was on the phone after a claim form I asked if I could include Tia on the policy. No problem they said. That was until we got to the not allowed to beat etc (should of realised with the name animal friends :doh:). Looked through the policy and I could not see any exclusions. So went on Compare and started with Tia and Lulu for the same coverage less money.

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 03:01:25 PM »
Hey guys,
I am going to change insurance companys as i have noticed that others are paying a lot less than what i am for the same benefits
I am currently with Pet Plan

However i need some advice

1. Can i cancel my policy with pet plan at any time?
2. As Pet Plan put a skin condition exclusion with Diesel in his current policy but the diagnosis is Harvest mites, what would i need to advise the new company - Pet plan put down the skin exclusion as my first vets were investigating a skin condition - However when i changed vets, he was found to have harvest mites and the mites have since gone after treatment of Harvest mites and Diesel is now 100% better.

Any advice at all thanks

I'm with Petplan, always thought that you bought a years insurance but just paid for it monthly so only ever look at insurance near renewal dates.    I didn't think you could just cancel with no costs unless it was within a certain timeframe of when you took out the insurance.   

I'm probably wrong but always thought it was a bit like gym memberships, they still want your money if you cancel  :005:

Offline jasper_boy

• Jacob's Den
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 03:30:28 PM »
I would suggest that you check with Pet Plan, but you have committed to an annual policy, so I would have thought that it would be unlikely that you could cancel with no charge.

But, whilst Pet Plan are expensive I wish that I could afford them for my dogs (and would in the future have less dogs so I can afford to insure them with Pet Plan). But if you are going to change, just check the wording of any new policy. Not only do you want life cover but places like Sainsburys for example offers 7k per condition (so not per year) which would never have covered Jacob's HD. They also increase the price as the dog ages, so Jasper is with Sainsburys and I currently pay £97 per month with £125 excess plus 15% of every vet bill. Thats a lot of money just to insure him!

Jacob is with Axa and they offer 7k per year which is better than Sainsbury's but I still have issues around how they work out claims!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 05:07:22 PM »
Definitely check the small print with regards canceling - I canceled a policy about 8 months in and had to pay the remaining 4 months.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline pennylopey

• Alfie 26/05/2011 - 31/07/2020
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 07:40:23 PM »
Mine is a minimum 12 month contract, I'd assumed like most insurances that they are all the same?
Missing Alfie 26/05/2011 - 31/07/2020