Author Topic: Picking up everything on the ground help  (Read 2064 times)

Offline Jenny11234

Picking up everything on the ground help
« on: July 02, 2019, 09:12:12 PM »
Hello, my dog is just over 6 months old and we are getting there with training, walking on the lead, dropping things etc. When we're out walking she's started picking up/lunging for every little thing on the ground from sticks to leaves to rabbit poo (a particular favourite) to plastic, dummies, a syringe etc. She will occasionally carry a stick but is mostly just trying to eat everything she picks up. Does anyone have any advice on this? Thanks

Offline IonaD

Re: Picking up everything on the ground help
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 07:06:11 AM »
I too would love to hear what people say or any advice!!

Bella knows leave it and does it perfectly with toys and sticks. If however we are out and she picks up something on the grass or from the side of the lake that tickles her tastebuds  (normally something gross that she shouldn’t have) she runs a mile with it in her mouth. She knows she shouldn’t be eating it hence her dashing off. Even tempting her with actual dog treats or leave it doesn’t work when this happens!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 11:37:55 AM »
Definately a hard one but you can try training the „leave“ command but outside with a lead and using different things ranging from treats to toys etc.
Humphrey (4) still always had his nose on the ground and a bit of fresh cow poo before breakfast  :004: is his idea of the ideal start to the day  :lol2: but on the whole, I found that the obsession of picking up everything single thing did wear off as he got older.
You can only really just keep on training  it continually (lots of good videos online), hope that it does improve as he gets older  and, as a very last resort, consider a muzzle. Cockers are ruled by their noses and scaveging is unfortunately  something that a lot of them, (although not all) are prone to do!
Best of luck!  ;)

Offline PaulJ

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 02:11:14 PM »
Try not to worry too much. At six months she is still a little girl and there is still a lot of maturing to be done. Z is 4.5 months and picks up when out.

When on a heeling lead on pavement we try to scan ahead and beat him to it with a well timed “heel” so he focuses on us. If a glance is made to offending item a “leave it” then “heel” with praise for the desired behaviour. Since walking him in real world we have discovered how untidy and messy us humans are. We leave all manner of **** around.

When on a long line in fields etc we keep him close with play quartering and occupied as much as possible. Any random pick ups we try to make a play retrieve which is followed by a retrieve or hunt using an “approved” item unless of course it is immediately dangerous. A tone change and leave it lets Z know it’s serious. After intervention, he gets something fun to do.

It does not always work as intended but we don’t sweat it. Everything now is laying the foundations for later.

Zennor’s preferred delicacy when out in the wild is sheep ****!

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 02:47:54 PM »
I feel your pain!  Jinley is now nearly 8 and I remember as a puppy she picked up an empty plastic bottle carrying it for a hundred yards or so before something better caught her eye.  A passer by told me off for dropping litter!!

Offline Jenny11234

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 06:28:25 PM »
Thanks, we'll keep trying!

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 09:33:00 PM »
Sometimes it feels like it's never ending when they are pup's and to be honest it pretty much is, then one day all of a sudden it just clicks.

They do grow up so fast, it's just a case of perseverance I'm afraid, but it's sooo worth it  :D