Author Topic: Siblings fighting  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Sharong

Siblings fighting
« on: June 05, 2019, 11:26:33 AM »
Hi this is my first time posting and I am looking for some advice. I have two male golden cocker spaniel brothers who are 11 months old.  They are not neutered. For the past few weeks I have woken to them growling at each other and fighting at 6.30 am. They have had the odd fight from about 8 months but seems to be everyday now they are growling at each other throughout the day and this sometimes ends in a full physical fight. One of my dogs is very jealous and this seems to start the arguments off. Does anyone have any experience of this. I really don’t want to re home one but they are becoming very stressful in the home and I am worried my children may get hurt in the middle of a fight. Thanks

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Re: Siblings fighting
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 04:58:57 PM »
I have two litter sisters.  It is the worst combination apparently but I didn’t know that when I got them and it would have been difficult to decide which one to rehome if I had gone down that route.
Your dogs are at the age when they are maturing and it could be the increased hormones that are causing the bickering.
My girls always got on reasonably, tolerating each other rather than liking each other.  As they have gotten older the bickering has got worse.
Stevie was originally the more dominant sister and Marley accepted this but the dynamics have changed over the years.
Marley is a resource guarder and we have to make sure that there is nothing that she can guard and if  we see her with a ‘prize’, we quickly take it off her.  Luckily she will let us ‘depower’ her.
Over the years, we have learnt to recognise what can start a spat.  I can’t fuss Marley if Stevie is present as she will fly at Stevie if she get too close, I can’t groom her if Stevie is in the same room as it will start a fight.  These situations can be handled easily as we just put them in separate rooms on these occasions.
When they were younger, I did try to separate them when they were fighting but this meant any issue they had was not resolved.  I now leave them to sort themselves out.  This may seem irresponsible but the fights stop as quickly as they started.
All of my family now know how to avoid potential trigger points but they are all adults.  It would be vey dangerous if a child did get in the way of the fights as when the dogs are in full fight mode they are in another zone and would be oblivious of anyone getting in the way.
My girls are now 11 and so over the years we have become familiar with their moods.  Most of the time they live peacefully side by side but they don’t really like each other just tolerate each other.  I guess its like human siblings, some are the best of friends, some never speak to each other.
Dog spats sound horrific but often the noise is worse than any damage that is done.
I think you have to consider if the whole of your family are able to recognise and prevent clashes in the future.  It can be very tiring to be on constant alert and is it fair on your children?  Are they of an age when they are able to quickly get out of the way if the dogs are fighting?
Only you can decide if you are willing to keep both but they are both young and the rehomed one should adjust quickly if you do choose to do that
I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide.  Keeping both can be done (my two are 12 this year) and the good times have far outnumbered the bad occasions.  :luv:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 10:21:07 PM »
Neutering??
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Gerryjane

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 10:46:15 AM »
If you look up littermate syndrome you will probably find this is what has happened. Ideally siblings should be trained and separated as much as possible from the start to prevent just this situation arising. If you use Facebook look for a group called Dog Training Advice and Support. It is a fantastic up to date force free group run by experienced trainers and vet behaviourists. They could advise or else best to contact a good behaviourist. Hope that helps.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 01:31:07 PM »
Hello and welcome to COL  :D

Sadly, having littermates, or pups very close in age from different litters, can lead to problems, which very often start when the pups are adolescent. It's the reason why many breeders won't sell two pups together.

Neutering may or may not make any difference, it's impossible to say unfortunately. Is there any way you can at least keep them separated at night and also during any times in the day when they will be home alone? It isn't a solution as such, but removes the risk of a fight becoming really nasty at a time when you're not there to keep an eye on them. The risk of such escalation may be small, but it's best avoided if possible.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 08:27:06 AM »
When I booked two sisters from a breeder, I started reading about this sibling rivalry, I had had this to a lesser degree with a mother and daughter, I got so worried I had virtually decided to cancel one pup, but my OH said he didnt want one pup on its own...so we went ahead, myself with strong misgivings. Well it was great! they got on very well all their lives, never had a single spat or argument, no jealousies or resentment, and sadly I lost one to kidney disease in 2018, but still have her sister who is now 9.....She missed her sister and a year later i brought in Amber who is a manic 6 month old and the older dog Topaz, has been superb, doesnt mind what the pup does (within reason) and doesnt even object when she shares her dish. Maybe we were just lucky in getting dogs with such good tempraments