Author Topic: Side effects of Antibiotics  (Read 1692 times)

Offline IonaD

Side effects of Antibiotics
« on: June 11, 2019, 05:29:41 PM »
Hi All,

I have another query I was hoping you guys should shed some light or share your experiences.

Bella is back on antibiotics for her Lip Fold Dermatitis which has become infected again. Since she’s been on the antibiotics I think she seems a little lethargic.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with their dog while on antibiotics? I’m not sure if it is the antibiotics or more the case that it is warm and quite humid and she’s just feeling a bit lazy.

She was playing with her other doggy pals this morning like normal and greeted the OH like a crazy person when he came home but then she went straight back to bed. Any help welcome on this one?

(I asked the vet if they would consider the surgery and they said it was the last option and it’s  difficult to do and will take ages to heal etc. This goes against anything I’ve read on here so I think it is more the case they just don’t want to do it)

Thank you in advance.

Iona & Bella

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Side effects of Antibiotics
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 07:21:48 PM »
I asked the vet if they would consider the surgery and they said it was the last option and it’s  difficult to do and will take ages to heal etc. This goes against anything I’ve read on here so I think it is more the case they just don’t want to do it)

...or maybe they are not as confident as they would like you to think they are.  I do think some antibiotics affect different dogs in different ways as they do in us humans, so it could well be they are responsible.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline rubyduby

Re: Side effects of Antibiotics
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 12:55:01 PM »
Sorry but the vet is talking rubbish, if your dog has regular problems with the lip folds I would thoroughly recommend it, 3 of my 7 spaniels (over 40 yrs) have had the op, in all cases despite what the vet says, it was great, the dog didn't even notice the op , having had sore lips for so long, it healed very quickly and I never had any further lip issues at all, try a different vet....probably better than throwing antibiotics at them with all the side effects possible. Would certainly recommend with a decent vet