Author Topic: Ollie - an update  (Read 1570 times)

Offline hoover

Ollie - an update
« on: June 17, 2019, 10:47:01 PM »
It's been a while since I posted here but I thought I would give an update on my handful of a dog that is Ollie!

About a year ago we were unfortunately not far from trying to have him re-homed by police as a working dog for them, or, in worst case scenario PTS - his bites were full on and multiple and the wounds are still present.  I was in tears on many occasions over him and his guarding behaviours which seemed changeable, unpredictable and severe.

Well in the last year (approaching 4 now) maybe he's mellowed, or maybe it's me that's mellowed but we have avoided major incidents and he has not bitten in maybe 10 months (big deal for us!)  We have gone through a lot - my partner left me and he has kept me going. He has given me routine, focus and companionship.  I used to think of him as life-limiting but now I know he is life-sustaining; he has insistently got me up in the mornings, taken me out for walks in the great outdoors, and has always been on hand for cuddles and affection.  He is especially attuned to sadness and tears and will bury himself in as close in as possible, looking, pawing, wagging, licking, snuffling. I could hire him out as a therapy dog. He has already done the same job for a former flatmate who returned in an emergency situation - he welcomed her in, sorted her out with cuddles when she was not really prepared to be with me or anyone else, and then he sent her back out revived into the world again.

He's never going to be a 100% safe dog, he still guards, he still is OTT with other dogs, he still *uses his teeth*, doesn't always follow instructions to be a *gentle dog*, he is actually sometimes ..*a bad dog!* but he's my puppy, and he's taken very good care of me.

I hope this gives some hope to others that are working with difficult dogs - no situation is ever going to be the same and no-one else can ever really know or judge the situation that you are experiencing or the decisions you have to make.  But sometimes the dog comes through, or you come through, or you both come through together.

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: Ollie - an update
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 11:22:54 PM »
What a heartfelt and heart warming post.  :luv: We are none of us perfect, but if we all had straight edges how could we all fit together in life's jigsaw. Sending a cuddle to your awesome boy.  :luv:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 06:23:42 AM »
Thanks so much for posting Ollie‘s story, it is, as ejp says, heartwarming.
I do think, that with all the information, advice and opinions on keeping and training dogs which is available in all forms of the media these days, we do run the risk of expecting our pets to perform to standard (whatever that is!) and any dog with behavioural problems reflects failure on the dog and more so on us. Its a very sad development and your post is a reminder that every dog, like humans, has its strengths, weaknesses and irritating traits but that doesn‘t mean they‘re not deserving of love. The dogs accept US unconditionally after all, they adapt to us and we can adapt to them and their peculiarities aswell.
Hat off to you for giving Ollie a chance, accepting him as he is and seeing the good in him, - you sound like a perfect team and an inspiration to anyone else in a similar situation!
:luv:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 10:15:11 AM »
What can I say but wow, from one Ollie owner to another there are so many similarities it has amazed me.  Ollie has always been OTT with me and it is me he guards, yet he adores his master and just a handful of others, while he has not bitten since young I have always expressed caution and still do, as a rescue he certainly shows issues to men hence my caution.

I used to think of him as life-limiting but now I know he is life-sustaining; he has insistently got me up in the mornings, taken me out for walks in the great outdoors, and has always been on hand for cuddles and affection.  He is especially attuned to sadness and tears and will bury himself in as close in as possible, looking, pawing, wagging, licking, snuffling. I could hire him out as a therapy dog.

He is your strength - as is mine, what a wonderful update and wish you all the best and don't be a stranger on here :D
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline hoover

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 07:52:41 AM »
Thanks all.  Yes, he's been a real pillar of strength for me, it's certainly made up for some very difficult times we have had. He is such a loving dog at heart and I am hoping that in his maturity he has more self-control before resorting to bites, and that I have the knowledge to help him avoid those contexts that might put him over the edge.