Author Topic: Too hot to handle  (Read 1712 times)

Offline PaulJ

Too hot to handle
« on: June 16, 2019, 07:05:42 PM »
I am in two minds if I should say anything to a neighbour.

They have a seven month cocker bitch. They are keen runners and run with pup for between 30-60 minutes every day. They started running with her from four months old. Also, take pup for two walks per day. It’s too much IMO and I can see pup boiling over when she matures. Let alone the chances of damage to joints etc.

I feel like I should say something but am also conscious of not interfering. We make our pups into the dogs we want afterall.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Too hot to handle
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 08:53:48 PM »
A tough one, but maybe they just aren‘t aware of the damage they‘re probably doing.?  I remember a neighbour pointing out to us that it wasn‘t  a good idea to keep throwing balls for Humphrey when he was little. Although not my first dog, he was my first puppy and I just hadn‘t given it much thought, I was grateful he‘d pointed it out.
Admittedly it depends a lot on your relationship with them and how you say it but for the sake of the pup, I think I‘d try and approach the subject diplomatically, if an opportunity arises.
Best of luck ;)

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 11:00:58 PM »
I think it would be no harm to have a chat and see if they realise the harm they could be doing.  They may well be blissfully unaware and think that lots of exercise is the correct thing to do.  As Bissylizzzy says, diplomacy is the key.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 04:23:00 PM »
Why not approach them by asking for "advice for a friend"?

Something like I am really interested in seeing how you keep your dog fit for jogging, did they do it gradually?  What advice did they seek on joint stress?  Was it a gradual process?  Does he have to have any supplements to prevent any future issues, particularly as the advice is 5 mins walking per month of age?

Might work xx  Good luck!

Edited to add -  Also ask how they manage to keep a cocker in a straight line!  Most of us would be interested in that one! :005: :005:

Offline PaulJ

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 09:32:53 PM »
I will mention something at the next “play date” ours and their pups have. Being next door the pups see each other often. I have already said their gate is not tall enough. She’ll be over it in a flash at some point especially if they keep heating her up.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 06:20:33 AM »
Best of luck!