Author Topic: Puppy crate  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Rollo58

Puppy crate
« on: June 19, 2019, 11:33:13 PM »
We collect our show type cocker in 6 weeks and want to use a crate.Silly I know but should should he be drinking and eating in there too.Should there be an area for accidents or is the whole idea for weeing and poohing to be done outside the crate.Ive read a crate can be too large and suppliers are suggesting 36” long for a cocker. Thank you

Offline PaulJ

Re: Puppy crate
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 06:47:23 AM »
Hi and welcome to forum. It has been a great help to us with our pup before arrival and since getting him home...now 17 weeks old.

We crated Z from day one. We got a full sized adult crate and put a divider in there to make space smaller with a cheap small bed. He has out grown the original bed so we replaced with vet bed and blankets etc. The divider was not expensive but I also made one using mesh and cable ties. As he has grown we have moved the divider back to suit his increase in size. He is not at full size yet but is due another “extension” anytime soon.

We also placed a small bowl of water in one front corner. Pup does not drink a huge a amount from it. We have never fed Z in there but did use treats to get him used to the space. The breeders blanket settled him in there quickly and he took to it very fast. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be if we were NOT using a crate.

Offline Gerryjane

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 08:34:31 AM »
We have done the same as Paul with our pup. Dogs do not like to toilet in their sleeping areas but if the crate space is too large the pup effectively has a bed with an en suite  :lol2: we used a smallish bed inside too to reduce internal space. Toilet training will go smoothly if you are on top of it all the time and also take the pup out in the night whilst he is young and until you know he can hold it.
We use treats, stuffed kongs etc in the crate in order to make it a happy place. We never let pup get distressed in the crate at any time. We slept downstairs during the first nights. My personal view is run a mile from anyone telling you to leave the pup to cry it out!! Gently does it is my mantra.

Offline Barry H

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 09:09:07 AM »
There are good reasons to use a crate, but equally good (and some might say better) reasons not to use one.  It's a matter of personal preference really and all down to lifestyle.  I chose not to use one for Jack - something about them just doesn't sit right with me and can't imagine any dog 'loving' a crate.  I had a baby gate across the kitchen door so he had much more freedom to move around and removed the risk of him feeling anxious or isolated.  I should mention that I had the luxury of being with him 24/7 which you may not have, of course.

Offline Cheadlea

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 09:46:33 AM »
Hi we brought Cedric home 7 weeks ago and we bought a large pen rather than a crate. It is huge 8ft by 7ft) so that it takes up most of what was the breakfast room. It effectively has two halves - one for sleeping and one for eating and an area for a puppy pad. It is not mobile so it is effectively Cedric’s bedroom which he seems to like. At 8 weeks we would set the alarm for twice during the night to let him out in the garden. Now at 15 weeks he goes through the night and does not use the pads. The pen was expensive, but for us it seems to work for him as his own space.

Offline Gerryjane

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 12:44:32 PM »
Totally agree that a using a crate is a personal choice.
We didn’t even need to use treats for our little one to shoot in. The crate was covered and he felt safe immediately. Our crate door is rarely closed and Toby chooses whether to nap there or in a dog bed in another room. One of my reasons for wanting him to be crate trained and happy to be in it was in case of vet treatment in the future ... who knows if overnight stays or more might be needed and I felt that suddenly being confined in a crate could be a really traumatic experience and make a bad situation even worse.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 12:59:31 PM »
There are good reasons to use a crate, but equally good (and some might say better) reasons not to use one.  It's a matter of personal preference really and all down to lifestyle.  I chose not to use one for Jack - something about them just doesn't sit right with me and can't imagine any dog 'loving' a crate.  I had a baby gate across the kitchen door so he had much more freedom to move around and removed the risk of him feeling anxious or isolated.  I should mention that I had the luxury of being with him 24/7 which you may not have, of course.

You make a good point, not all dogs are equal!  We have 5, only one is not crated at all and seems quite happy. 2 are crated over night, if which one chooses to do so, the other needs to.  The needs is based on her level of anxiety: if she has a space too large she seems to need to be responsible for the area and doesn't sleep well! We’ve tried over the years but she is a happier, more relaxed and awake dog, in the day than not crated.  The two youngest are not trust worthy!

We are with the dogs 24x7 also.  I think its less about human lifestyle choices and more about what suits your dog and its temperamnent  :shades:

Jayne

Offline PaulJ

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 12:14:09 AM »

I think its less about human lifestyle choices and more about what suits your dog and its temperamnent  :shades:

That is a great way to look at it.

Z could have more room but it does not suit the flow and rhythm of the house. When crating him we had decided that if he totally objected to the crate then a larger area such as a pen would be created in another room with some minor adjustments of furniture.  He has taken to the crate well so we are happy to continue in its use.

Knowing now what we have learnt about his character and temperament I would not think more space would suit him. He is very much a working cocker and more space would lead to him wanting to explore and hunt the rest of the space at a hundred miles an hour. He would continue winding up. Whereas, with the crate, when he gets a little ‘hotter’ and starts winding himself up we can  ring him back in using the crate where he will sleep and/rest which is what he needs but just does not know it! Door open or closed varies according to time of day and level of supervision.

That’s only my gut feeling based on observation.

Offline Bettylove

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 10:17:30 PM »
Sidney has a crate that is used in the day and it has helped him not to become over tired and has been really useful for when he is home alone. He also slept in a crate in our bedroom to begin with so we could let him out for a wee when needed. He is 17 weeks old now and has never had an accident in his crate but has had accidents when out and playing in the house. I have to confess we caved and he now sleeps in our bed every night but sleeps really well. In the day the crate has been really useful. I don’t use it to punish him, if he gets really silly I put him the other side of the safety gate the opposite side of where I am for a few seconds and let him back through when he is sitting quietly. We have a 30 inch crate. 😊🐾🐶💙

Offline Rollo58

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 03:11:08 AM »
Thank you for the welcome and valued replies.Really appreciated.We are considering a 30” crate which will be kept in the lounge to be near us during the day.