Author Topic: Kenneled or inside?  (Read 13828 times)

Offline Millomite

• Amber (CS), Brook (Lab) & Fern (CS)
    • Amberquest Gundogs
Kenneled or inside?
« on: December 12, 2006, 08:29:39 AM »
Just wondering what people with working cockers, i.e. ones that actually go shooting etc, do with their dogs, whether they are kenneled or are kept in the house

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Kenneled or inside?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 08:33:43 AM »
inside.

and he can withstand the elements all day on a shoot and more.

helen & jarvis x

Offline James

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 10:01:42 AM »
When my dad used to train and breed working labs they used to live outside in a kennel it was quite a good one though their was shelter for them which was always quite warm.

but stella who will be a working cocker lives inside with us and always will do as she is a family pet as well.

I think as long as the kennel is built well and it doesn't get to silly temperatures then its fine for them to be out their.

same with indoor dogs though we've also had working labs indoors and never had a problem with them on a long day out..

suppose its each to their own as long as the dog is ok I don't see a problem with either of the methods  :blink:

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 10:27:07 AM »
mine are both!!
 they have a deluxe kennel and run fit for two elephants up at the croft which they are in if I am away for long spells and they also sleep in the house.
 the run is grassed and I would like to concrete at least part of it as being hardy dogs they sit up on treestumps surveying the estate in all weathers and do get a bit wet and muddy. that is obviously their choice as they have a solid home built kennel with vetbed to sleep in and the big door is usually closed in winter with just the hatch open to keep it windproof. as long as they have decent shelter working spaniels do not fear the elements I can tell you. And they have less hair/coat to keep them warm. And we are well into the minuses during winters here and get feet of snow.
the run was previously owned by my sister and her deerhounds but when she bought a new house with purpose built kennels in the village she didn't need it any more. the collies.. well again kenneled when we are out, in when we are in. my sister does not kennel her working collie and neither does my mother they have always been house dogs as well as working dogs.

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 04:58:39 PM »
I have always kept mine inside
Wendy, Bailey & Stella

RIP Raisen, Badger,Murphy & Spud

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 05:16:24 PM »
Fern isn't worked as much as we had intended and is mostly a pet, but all her working predecessors (GS pointer and four springers) were kept indoors. It simply isn't as safe here in the South to keep valuable dogs in kennels as perhaps it is  :-\ in the more remote parts of the country.
That said, Fern's mother and several of her siblings are kenneled outside but are allowed in the house on frequent occasions. Fern was born outside in a barn. Despite not keeping her outside I have no doubt as to her ability to withstand a full working day in all weathers. She has a dual personality, she is a perfect pet at home, but once she is out there is no stopping her and she is straight into turbo charged full working mode. Keeping her indoors  certainly hasn't made her soft.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline *jean*

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 06:06:34 PM »
dog stealing is unheard of up here thank goodness but I dont think any stranger would sneal up on a keepers kennels the dogs would go crazy and alert the keeper who usually lives very close by. same with farm collies.
 if I lived further south I might not be so happy to leave my dogs. it would be a brave soul who tried to steal pepper.. she would bite. liath would go willingly and rolo would hide.

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 07:22:54 PM »
as other COLers will know mine were house dogs until recently when i got Scout now they live out and are very happy. They are allowed indoors for short periods through the day if they fancy it, but they like to be out in the garden most of the time.
Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 09:23:48 PM »
Both of them inside, much as I want to work them they are pets first and foremost. I just wouldn't see the point in having them if they were kept outside, I'd only see them on walks  :'(  I love having them in the house, Alfie's parents are both working dogs and both live inside as well, it hasn't affected their ability to work one bit. My two are certainly happy to be out and about in all weathers but equally they love to sprawl on the sofa with me in the evenings  :D
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Penel

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 08:46:32 PM »
So - what happens, for example,  if you move house - and don't have a kennel in your new garden - and the dogs have to live in the house for a while - are they house trained ?  or if the dogs have to be rehomed for one reason or another ?
we get a lot of lurchers into rescue, that have lived out / in kennels (usually not the luxury of a kennel when we are talking about lurchers) - and housetraining can be tricky.....

Offline *jean*

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 11:06:52 PM »
my three are essentially house dogs, fully housetrained but go to the croft when Im going to be away more than a couple of hours . they love it.. rabbits abound. And Im never ever moving . I would hate to leave rogart, I get homesick passing the mound.

keepers normally take their dogs with them when they move jobs.
my friend has successfully rehomed several spaniels who dont make it as gundogs for one reason ,or another she seems to  housetrain them quite quickly so they fit into pet homes. they are usually quite young though.
 I cant comment on folk that live in built up areas with a dog kennel.. I dont know any.

Offline Millomite

• Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 08:47:42 AM »
So - what happens, for example,  if you move house - and don't have a kennel in your new garden - and the dogs have to live in the house for a while - are they house trained ?  or if the dogs have to be rehomed for one reason or another ?
we get a lot of lurchers into rescue, that have lived out / in kennels (usually not the luxury of a kennel when we are talking about lurchers) - and housetraining can be tricky.....

If I move house I buy a house with somewhere big enough for a kennel. No questions asked. Having room for the dogs is high priority, I wouldn't consider a house without room.

I can never see me rehoming a dog, for any reason, so that's not a problem for me personally.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 09:04:09 AM »

If I move house I buy a house with somewhere big enough for a kennel. No questions asked. Having room for the dogs is high priority, I wouldn't consider a house without room.

I can never see me rehoming a dog, for any reason, so that's not a problem for me personally.

..and if not a kennel, there's always room for a couple of crates inside i'm sure ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Millomite

• Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 10:05:03 AM »

..and if not a kennel, there's always room for a couple of crates inside i'm sure ;)

Of course. Both my dogs are currently inside. My cocker pup will be in until she is around isx months old, my lab will be out when his new 6x4 foot kennel and 8x4 foot run arrives

Offline *jean*

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 11:45:21 AM »
heres a pic of my dogs kennel and run, its so big  because it was for deerhounds origionally hence the deerfence round it, Deerhonds can jump!
 the kennel is different as the old one was too big and they would have been cold. you can see the door has a hatch which they pop in and out of so wind and rain doesn't get in. its 6ft by 4 ft. they can see all the activities on the croft so are not bored I leave toys etc in with them and in my opinion they enjoy it better than me leaving them in the house when I'm at work or away at the sheep, they always are with me any other times. its a winter pic so things are not at their most flattering.. to the left of them you can just make out the sheep fanks so they get to watch me lambing etc.. behind them just out of sight is my sisters duckpond and 16 indian runners, theres also hens pecking around, pheasants tease them ,there is so much for them to smell and see that they are greatly entertained. I suppose they are lucky dogs. def spolit!!  :luv: ps they never poo or pee in their little house only outside. and usually in the same place i clean it all up after every visit so it stays clean.