Author Topic: Kenneled or inside?  (Read 13828 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Kenneled or inside?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 11:51:54 AM »
If I move house I buy a house with somewhere big enough for a kennel. No questions asked. Having room for the dogs is high priority, I wouldn't consider a house without room.

I can never see me rehoming a dog, for any reason, so that's not a problem for me personally.

I am sure that many, many people who find themselves having to part with their pets for financial, medical or other reasons thought the same thing, until it happened to them :(
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 01:26:33 PM »
Jean. Please excuse my ignorance but could you please explain what
sheep fanks
and
16 indian runners,
are? :huh:
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 01:42:47 PM »
Oooh I know what Indian runners are they are a breed of duck :blink:

Sheep fanks a bit baffled there :-\
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 02:03:13 PM »
So - what happens, for example,  if you move house - and don't have a kennel in your new garden - and the dogs have to live in the house for a while - are they house trained ?  or if the dogs have to be rehomed for one reason or another ?
we get a lot of lurchers into rescue, that have lived out / in kennels (usually not the luxury of a kennel when we are talking about lurchers) - and housetraining can be tricky.....

If I move house I buy a house with somewhere big enough for a kennel. No questions asked. Having room for the dogs is high priority, I wouldn't consider a house without room.

I can never see me rehoming a dog, for any reason, so that's not a problem for me personally.

..and if not a kennel, there's always room for a couple of crates inside i'm sure ;)

Of course. Both my dogs are currently inside. My cocker pup will be in until she is around isx months old, my lab will be out when his new 6x4 foot kennel and 8x4 foot run arrives

I have to agree with Scott and Helen
Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver

Penel

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 04:22:43 PM »
Jean - your dogs' run and kennel looks fabulous - I am sure mine would love it !!!!  I have nothing against dogs being kennelled for part of the day - but I do think when they aren't part of the household it is a great shame.  Dogs "not allowed" inside don't benefit from family life like "inside" dogs do.  On the other hand, I can imagine some dogs would prefer to be in a kennel and run than live inside with some families  :005:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2006, 04:28:38 PM »
Jean if I had a run like that for my two and I knew it was in an absolutely safe area they'd definitely be in it when I wasn't at home, they'd much prefer that to the house!  :shades:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Penel

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2006, 04:31:26 PM »
As Nicola says, in a totally safe area it's fab - down here in the South East nowhere is safe  :'( dogs are being stolen from locked kennels every day.  I know of a Saluki that was stolen from inside the house - she was the only thing they took.... stolen to order. :'(

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2006, 12:11:20 AM »
I would be terrified if I lived down south... crossing a main road would be an adventure... my daughter lives in edinburgh and wants me to vist... erm.. not a chance she knows where i am and Ive got the spaniels!!! ( so she has to come as there is no way id take this lot to edinburgh.. they are very much country dogs.. no road sense, heavy traffic would spook them and Id have to lead walk them ...nightmare! :o Id be a maypole by the time they sniffed their way around the pavements..)
 Basically I am not a crowds kind of person inverness is a no no specially on a sat. my dogs I love more than most humans and their best interests are always my 1st concern but I have to say I have loads, just loads of friends relations who have working dogs who live outdoors and the dogs are so well looked after and loved. look at my oh ..heartbroken when Don died, gibb the young collie has settled back into fort knox now but spends the evening at the fire or in weird positions and places like upside down watching tv.
 its people like racing dog owners and puppy farmers and  the like who gaily abandon working dogs or kenneled dogs when they are of no further use to them. >:D  my freind has a greyhound with its ear cut off it was thrown out of a car on a motorway the ear removed to get rid of its tatoo. he now has a loving home and is a great pet but what he must have suffered.
 if people  up here... I cant comment on other places..have to give up  a working dog due to ill health say, they would be very careful about who they gave it to. and remember a working collie is valuable they take years to train.. years... also if the dog itself is too old to work they are usually given a retirement..mostly  all our dogs have lived to be old ,one collie was nearly 21 and he started out being outside and as he got stiffer with old age ended up in by the fire, he never messed in the house.
 INDIAN RUNNERS are ducks with long necks they all cluster together and run in groups, my sister trials a sheepdog and uses them for practice instead of the sheep.
 SHEEP FANKS ane lots of pens with connecting gates, a race ( long thin corridor) and a footbath so you can push the sheep from one field into the main pen  push them through into smaller pens shut gates  catch the one you want seperate it ..dose them or run them in a circle throgh the pens and through the footbath which has stuff in it to prevent footrot and then there is another gate which they all go out to the main field again. its useful at lambing and clipping and generally for running them through to check on them to ensure all is well. im going to look for a pic I took of gibb the outside collie ..in the house..
 I know my dogs live in heaven.. I just wish all dogs could.

Offline *jean*

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2006, 12:17:29 AM »
gibb in heaven! :luv: he lay like that for hours then got too hot, and wanted back outside.

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2006, 08:18:34 AM »
Jean. Are their any places for sale up your way, because we all want a little piece of heaven too?  :luv:

Penel

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2006, 09:26:40 AM »
Jean I have no doubt that your dogs have the life of riley  :luv: and its great to hear that everyone you know treats their dogs so well, whether they be working dogs or not.  I wish everyone was like that. 
And imagine, not having to train your dogs to walk on a lead  :lol: lucky you !!!!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2006, 09:50:40 AM »
Blimey Jean, sounds like doggy heaven!  Can Coco come and stay for her holidays?  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline *jean*

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2006, 10:56:23 AM »
well they do walk on leads ok, but if Ive got more than 3 dogs out its a bit confusing. pepper pulls, liath walks to heel like a soldier on parade. rolo just bums about sometimes in close sometimes pulling . I think if I lived in a town Id only walk one at a time.  so they didnt hogg the whole pavement. I did a 5 mile road walk with them a while back as the feilds were so wet and it was ok once I got my rythmn going the dogs walked along beside me quite nicely and when a car came we met about 4 they sat down till it passed.no pavements you see so you have to get of the road and onto grass verge, most of it was single track. I have to say they prefer off lead . I know I am lucky to live up here but there are rescue kennels in the black isle so the problem of unwanted dogs does exist  in the rosshire and inverness area.. more people more dogs...we have raised money for them in the past they do a good job and cover a huge area, the police or dog warden picks up runaways and drop them off there too. they even rescue ferrets and chickens! most folk up here if looking for a pet and arent bothered about breed have a look in animal aid, if I was well off and didnt have to work Id have a rescue kennel. that would be heaven for me. dogs all day.

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2006, 02:47:13 PM »
I love that pic of Gibb. He looks so relaxed and yet out of place at the same time  ;) .
if I was well off and didnt have to work Id have a rescue kennel. that would be heaven for me. dogs all day.
When you win the lottery and get it all set up,  can I come and work for you? :D 
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2006, 02:58:40 PM »
if I was well off and didnt have to work Id have a rescue kennel. that would be heaven for me. dogs all day.
When you win the lottery and get it all set up,  can I come and work for you? :D 

Please can I too?? I'd be happy to relocate from Sunny Bournemouth to where you live Jean - it sounds fantastic.
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."