Author Topic: New to Cockers - worker.  (Read 11816 times)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: New to Cockers - worker.
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 11:14:25 PM »
Just been saying to cookie "look its your relation"   but she just looked at me like i was barking  :luv:

I know that look well, I get it a lot  :lol2:  Would love to see a photo of Cookie, there are some better ones of Tilly here...

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=42954.0
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 01:39:10 AM »
Read with thread with great interest, Nicole you made my heart sink :'( we have messaged before with field questions, after reading your comments),
I agree with this, most working cocker's have at least a few and often quite a lot of FTCHs in their pedigrees but relatively very few dogs are of a suitable standard or achieve the required level of training to actually be successful in FTs themselves. I have 3 working cocker's and all of them have lots of FTCHs in their pedigrees; the older two are good working dogs and we have a lot of fun beating and picking up and doing scurries but they are not of the required grade for competing in tests or trials. Only the youngest one is *possibly and potentially* of a quality to compete and I'm not even talking about field trial level yet, I'm planning to do a few working tests with him to see how we both get on and will take it from there.

If you remember me from Australia where there are only 3 working cocker's here, none in NSW, I'm still plodding away at training my two, who are show cocker's with not a FC in sight on the pedigree, and they are also pets occasionally sleep on bed with me, and me never trained dogs before previously had Airedales one passing first Obed  pass. Do I have no hope at all :'( :'( after reading many different articles "show dogs do hunt" and knowing that in Europe they also have to pass a working test to get there CH. I was on my soap box of they are gundogs now feeling very disillusioned :huh: knew it was not going to be easy. Just found the Sporting Spaniel Club(which is all springers working I assume) who run a couple of spaniel trails each year, I know I will never win anything but was hoping to get them to standard (over years) then at least attempt to trial and maybe a pass. Have just got in contact with club asking where trial is so I can go and watch after your comments now feeling like they will not take me seriously and I'll look foolish turning up with show cockers.

:'( :'( :'(
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 01:17:56 PM »
Read with thread with great interest, Nicole you made my heart sink :'( we have messaged before with field questions, after reading your comments),
I agree with this, most working cocker's have at least a few and often quite a lot of FTCHs in their pedigrees but relatively very few dogs are of a suitable standard or achieve the required level of training to actually be successful in FTs themselves. I have 3 working cocker's and all of them have lots of FTCHs in their pedigrees; the older two are good working dogs and we have a lot of fun beating and picking up and doing scurries but they are not of the required grade for competing in tests or trials. Only the youngest one is *possibly and potentially* of a quality to compete and I'm not even talking about field trial level yet, I'm planning to do a few working tests with him to see how we both get on and will take it from there.

If you remember me from Australia where there are only 3 working cocker's here, none in NSW, I'm still plodding away at training my two, who are show cocker's with not a FC in sight on the pedigree, and they are also pets occasionally sleep on bed with me, and me never trained dogs before previously had Airedales one passing first Obed  pass. Do I have no hope at all :'( :'( after reading many different articles "show dogs do hunt" and knowing that in Europe they also have to pass a working test to get there CH. I was on my soap box of they are gundogs now feeling very disillusioned :huh: knew it was not going to be easy. Just found the Sporting Spaniel Club(which is all springers working I assume) who run a couple of spaniel trails each year, I know I will never win anything but was hoping to get them to standard (over years) then at least attempt to trial and maybe a pass. Have just got in contact with club asking where trial is so I can go and watch after your comments now feeling like they will not take me seriously and I'll look foolish turning up with show cockers.

:'( :'( :'(

I don't really have any experience in Show Cockers at all let alone training them to work but I really hope what I said hasn't put you off training your dogs!! The point I was making in what you've quoted above is that a dog's working/trialling potential is NOT dependent on the amount of FTCH dogs in their pedigree. I'm not sure how that has made you feel like you have no hope as I haven't mentioned Show Cockers at all... And my dogs are first and foremost pets as well so again I didn't mention that as being an issue. What I did say about very few dogs being of the required standard to make serious contenders for Field Trialling is true but that's something we all have to live with, I have two dogs myself who aren't good enough to trial but that's ok, we still have a lot of fun and just because they're never going to win a trial or even compete in one doesn't mean that I'm going to stop training them and actually taking them out beating and doing scurries and stuff. I'm just being realistic about their abilities but as I said my youngest dog is a competition possibility and I'd say to anyone who thinks they have a dog with potential like this go for it, reach for the stars, if they've got the ability and the training is in place then their breeding isn't an issue. The infamous FTCH Jade of Livermere, one of the best and most widely used Working Cocker dogs ever seen was bred out of two non-FTCH parents.

Of course all Cockers are gundogs, again, I didn't say they weren't... I didn't mention Show Cockers or their abilities at all!! I have said in another thread recently thought that I would love the opportunity to train a Show Cocker to work one day and I probably will do it at some stage. By all means keep training your dogs and join the club, I don't know the situation in Australia either so I honestly don't know what 'reaction' you'll get from the other members, that's down to them but I don't see how anything I said would make you think that they'll think you're foolish  :huh:  My emphasis in my post was on the level of training being more important than the breeding of the dog so if anything that should encourage you (if you take what I say to heart  ph34r :005:) as it implies that the 'type' of dog isn't as important as the level of training they reach - I am of course referring specifically to Working Cockers in my post though as that's what I have and it's what the OP who I was responding to has as well.

I would really think that if your dogs are trained well enough then you'll have the respect of any fellow gundog trainers or workers regardless of their breed or type and from what you say it sounds like your two are doing pretty well which is something to be proud of  ;)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 04:40:19 AM »
Thanks Nicole, So sorry,  ::)  having a bad day, they seem to choose when they respond to the whistle I had just got back from the park with one out of the two responding nicely one even stopping on the whistle at about 15 steps away but Indi being Indi choose to ignore me while on a scent, and  would not come back luckily I managed to grab her and whisk her into the car outing terminated. Still waiting for SSC to get back to me, they know I have Show Cocker's interesting to see if they contact me. Then I read the thread and felt worse why am I bothering, but I'll not give up always knew it was going to be a challenge, I just get very frustrated with the various clubs here and always being the odd one out and no-one taking me serious " what are you going to do with those they cant handle the terrain here" here Labs and GSP and Viz dominate the field so anything else is way out, let alone turning up with 2 show cocker's. They also don't have scurries or picking or beating so my choices are limited and never getting any positive feed back gets to me now and then.  Also I asked a groomer (cocker person) to help me give them a hunting cut, and she refused don't think she agreed with me taking them in field, said they are show cocker's and with there coat should not take them in the field. So I did it myself they don't look to bad :005: :005: should have gone shorter , next time.
Thanks again for kind words, this is why I like this site its the only time I can get constructive advise and a pep talk to put me back on my soap box which is needed when dogs run off or training goes westwood as I'm trying to work this out alone and with a few books . Must go and train again, feeling better and now more determined. :embarassed: :luv:
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline coco-nut

• Site Member
  • Coco-nut
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 11:55:05 AM »
Hi all, Ive been on here for a while now looking and lurking :005: with not much to say, just enjoying all the lovely photos of your babies but i feel the need to chat with you because i think my lovely coco is related to Tilly and Cookie she too has many of the same named dogs in both of your pedigrees on her dads side and she is the spitting image of cookie, her mums history wont be found anywhere here though as she was a liver and white springer this makes her a sprocker but everyone that meets us thinks she is a working cocker. Coco is the first spaniel we have owned (three westies before)and we are absolutely thrilled to bits with her and love her to death, haven't thought about working her though as she was only ever going to be a pet (although her older brothers and sisters are used for beating and her dad is a working dog). I don't really understand all the working stuff as you can probably tell. I will try to post a picture soon but bare with me I am quite a novice at computors too :lol2: 

Offline loumeg

• Site Member
  • Hi everyone i'm a bigger girl now
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 10:43:34 PM »
looking forward to seeing the photos  :luv:

Offline dylan

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 01:49:17 PM »
Dylan is aslo related , also on the sire side, i got Dylan in Knaresborough and is now 7 months. His parents were both working dogs, but i didnt get him to work him . Hes the most softest gentle dog i know, apart from when is ripping the ears, noses and eyes off his soft toys  :005:
Tina and Dylan

Offline millrace

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 10:56:32 PM »
Hi

We are just new to Cockers on line even though we have had our little working cocker for 4 months now. She is now 6 months old and is a little sweetheart and an absolute joy.  We have just realised that our Tia has quite a few of the same pedigree as yourselves and looks identical to Cookie and Tilly and was quite the star at the game fair in Moria yesterday...with all the lab owners checking her out!!!  I will try and post a picture once I work out how..
you don't train a working cocker......you negociate!!

Offline loumeg

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 03:09:34 PM »
Hi all, Ive been on here for a while now looking and lurking :005: with not much to say, just enjoying all the lovely photos of your babies but i feel the need to chat with you because i think my lovely coco is related to Tilly and Cookie she too has many of the same named dogs in both of your pedigrees on her dads side and she is the spitting image of cookie, her mums history wont be found anywhere here though as she was a liver and white springer this makes her a sprocker but everyone that meets us thinks she is a working cocker. Coco is the first spaniel we have owned (three westies before)and we are absolutely thrilled to bits with her and love her to death, haven't thought about working her though as she was only ever going to be a pet (although her older brothers and sisters are used for beating and her dad is a working dog). I don't really understand all the working stuff as you can probably tell. I will try to post a picture soon but bare with me I am quite a novice at computors too :lol2: 

Where are the photos  :D :D Cant wait to see CoCo

Offline loumeg

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 03:10:36 PM »
Hi

We are just new to Cockers on line even though we have had our little working cocker for 4 months now. She is now 6 months old and is a little sweetheart and an absolute joy.  We have just realised that our Tia has quite a few of the same pedigree as yourselves and looks identical to Cookie and Tilly and was quite the star at the game fair in Moria yesterday...with all the lab owners checking her out!!!  I will try and post a picture once I work out how..

We Need Photos.  They are a must  ;)

Offline coco-nut

• Site Member
  • Coco-nut
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 04:13:50 PM »
Hi I am very proud of myself as I have just posted my first photo of coco (with a little help from my son,) so now I know what to do there will be no stopping me. Just have to suss out the aviator thing now :005:

Offline millrace

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 04:37:40 PM »
[IMG==width640]http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/sharonmc_2008/tia027.jpg[/img]

ok there may now be a picture floating about somewhere on col....... :lol:
you don't train a working cocker......you negociate!!

Offline loumeg

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 04:46:21 PM »
Hi I am very proud of myself as I have just posted my first photo of coco (with a little help from my son,) so now I know what to do there will be no stopping me. Just have to suss out the aviator thing now :005:

Where did you post it  :huh: :huh: :huh: 

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2008, 05:10:31 PM »

ok there may now be a picture floating about somewhere on col....... :lol:

here you go, you had an extra = in your post  ;)

she's very sweet  :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline coco-nut

• Site Member
  • Coco-nut
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 08:37:54 PM »
I posted it on photos of working cockers hope you can see it  :D