Author Topic: New to Cockers - worker.  (Read 11817 times)

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
Re: New to Cockers - worker.
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2008, 06:59:33 PM »
Nicola, I didn't realise but Spud is quite closely related to your Tilly as his Sire is
Parkbreck Jefferson and his GrandSire on his Dams side is Wernffrwd Siarl. Like you I wish that we had got him earlier, he is also a rescue and we got him at 3 years old having had no Gundog training at all.
Wendy, Bailey & Stella

RIP Raisen, Badger,Murphy & Spud

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2008, 06:58:42 PM »
Nicola, I didn't realise but Spud is quite closely related to your Tilly as his Sire is
Parkbreck Jefferson and his GrandSire on his Dams side is Wernffrwd Siarl. Like you I wish that we had got him earlier, he is also a rescue and we got him at 3 years old having had no Gundog training at all.

Oh wow I didn't realise that either  :D  That could be where they get the size from cos Spud's a big boy isn't he  :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2008, 06:52:27 PM »
Yes he is  big for a cocker, even a worker
Wendy, Bailey & Stella

RIP Raisen, Badger,Murphy & Spud

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 01:42:08 PM »
Just want to Say that my Alfie who is 21weeks now, has most them names in his pedigree too, out of his 5generations, 38 of them are FTCH.

We are considering working him too.....just getting obediance out the way first!!!

He is Choc and Tan and he to is a very big boy!!
My life is now complete.......cockers are my life

Offline Henshallboys

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2008, 09:39:27 PM »
I can't find Tilly's entire pedigree just now (I moved house and it's in a box somewhere!) but I know some of it by memory and I've looked some of it up on here where I've posted before. Her Grandsires are FTCH Mallowdale Rackatear on her dam's side and and FTCH Wernffrwd Siarl on her sire's and she has the following dogs amongst others in her 5 generation pedigree. She's a well bred dog and a great worker, I wish I'd had her from 8 weeks old instead of 2 years (she's a rescue)...

FTCH Parkbreck Jefferson
FTCH Jasper of Parkbreck
FTCH Wernffrwd Pawn
FTCH Maesydderwen Kestrel
FTCH Wernffrwd Silk
FTCH Swallow Law Snipe
FTCH Wernffrwd Melyngoch
FTCH Smut of Jordieland
FTCH Kigaro Minnie
FTCH Gwibernant Llewellyn
FTCH Zelda of Cadboll
FTCH Rhu of Migdale
FTCH Gwibernant Snake
FTCH Jade of Livermere
FTCH Maesydderwen Griffon

So it looks like she and your dog are related on their dam's sides via FTCH Mallowdale Rackatear, being Tilly's grandsire and your dog's Great Grandsire. Tilly's dam is called Cragglands Mystery but I don't really know anything about the breeder with her being a rescue. I've never been able to contact him.

Just been looking through a few past threads.....its raining and cold and nothing on tv !!
Bramble and Beri have 7 of the above FTCH's in their 5 generation pedigree.
Carole & Alan....Bramble, Beri & Holly

Offline turbobert

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2008, 07:43:13 PM »
Nicola - how do you assess whether they are likely to be trials standard?  I have an old dog 12 now - he had field trial champs on both sides - Sire FTCH Amerdown Echo dam Parkbreck Latimer .  I never trained him other than basic obedience but he had and still has strong retrieval instincts and was very trainable.

I am getting a pup soon with strong FTCH lines (FTCH WHaupley Scarp) - I will gvie basis discipline training then go to gun dog training but I am still unsure as to what I should be looking out for before I embark on serious training for field trials (or not as the case may be).  He will be a 'pet' like all our dogs.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2008, 08:32:17 PM »
It's all a combination of natural ability and training really. Breeding can come into it but the majority of decently bred working cockers have fairly similar pedigrees, particularly once you go back a few generations and most are full of FTCH dogs but relative to the numbers bred very few dogs are actually capable and well trained enough to reach this standard. A dog with trialling potential has to have a natural aptitude for working - hunting, retrieving etc. and has to enjoy it. That is the most important thing and it's something you unfortunately can never guarantee a pup will have even with the 'best' breeding in the world. Training obviously plays a big role but basically a dog either has 'it' (that natural ability) or they don't. They need to be bold, stylish and confident but also biddable, focussed, steady and controlled and they also need to be completely silent when working, even the slightest whimper in a competition and you're out. They need to be able to think for themselves but still be responsive to their handler. Amongst other things (this is off the top of my head) they have to be able to hunt quickly, thoroughly and stylishly in all kinds of cover, mark fallen game, obey commands at a distance, jump obstacles, swim, retrieve dead and live game to hand, find and retrieve running game and be able to work alongside other dogs.

When looking at pups it's always a bit of a Russian roulette as it's almost impossible to tell at 8 weeks which dogs could make it and which haven't a chance but as an overview I would look for an active pup which doesn't make any noise (whining, yipping etc. when excited are a huge no no), which has a bold and inquisitive but calm character (no fearful, timid or overly hyper tendencies), has a natural tendency to pick things up and carry them around, shows an interest in something you throw for it and shows responsiveness to humans - I usually clap my hands and/or whistle at different times and see who shows an interest in what I'm doing and I also make a loud noise and obviously a pup which shows any signs of fear or timidity would be out of the equation.

Offline turbobert

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2008, 04:28:31 PM »
Thank you Nicola.  I have just chosen a pup from a litter - now 3 1/2 weeks - very confident and strong - BUT he had been separated from his mum for me to see and he barked a lot  >:(.  I do hope that was just because he missed his mum.  Our 12 year old working cocker  only barks when someone comes to the door - then not much.  Fingers crossed - must be hard to stop I imagine.  Neither parent barks much.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2008, 05:26:45 PM »
At just 3 1/2 weeks any puppy would probably squeak when taken away from mum so I wouldn't worry too much about that. If he's still doing it at 8 weeks it would be more of a concern! Looking forward to seeing photos of him.

Offline Ori1

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2008, 05:18:58 PM »
here are the most recent listed champions and their generation in relation to Cookie.

Sandford Black Mamba - Grandfather
Wernffrwd Dai Bach  - Great Grandfather
Kigaro Minnie -           Great Grandmother
Cadboll Zachary -       Great Grandfather

All above from Fathers side
-----------------------------------------

Roanlodge Treacle -       Grandfather
Mallowdale Rackatear -   Great Grandfather

All above from mothers side.

I've just been looking at Murphy's history - he has: Mallowdale Rackatear -  as his Great Grandfather too plus Wernffrwd Dai Bach  - as his Great Great Grandfather!!!!

I can't find Tilly's entire pedigree just now (I moved house and it's in a box somewhere!) but I know some of it by memory and I've looked some of it up on here where I've posted before. Her Grandsires are FTCH Mallowdale Rackatear on her dam's side and and FTCH Wernffrwd Siarl on her sire's and she has the following dogs amongst others in her 5 generation pedigree. She's a well bred dog and a great worker, I wish I'd had her from 8 weeks old instead of 2 years (she's a rescue)...

FTCH Parkbreck Jefferson
FTCH Jasper of Parkbreck
FTCH Wernffrwd Pawn
FTCH Maesydderwen Kestrel
FTCH Wernffrwd Silk
FTCH Swallow Law Snipe
FTCH Wernffrwd Melyngoch
FTCH Smut of Jordieland
FTCH Kigaro Minnie
FTCH Gwibernant Llewellyn
FTCH Zelda of Cadboll
FTCH Rhu of Migdale
FTCH Gwibernant Snake
FTCH Jade of Livermere
FTCH Maesydderwen Griffon

He also has  Maesydderwen Kestrel/ Wernffrwd Silk as Great Great Great Grandparents.

Arrhhhhhh...we are all one big family!!!!!!

:luv:

Offline mac

• Site Member
  • fuse
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2008, 07:50:45 PM »
hi fuses dad is sandford black mamba and mam minnie of kigaro
fuse is black but his litter were chocolate black and tan and black .
fuse is very confident but if he see s a feather on the ground little down type ones he jumps around them and wont go near them so i think he will never be able to bring a duck back
hahahaha
love from fuse and lisa and now adding little sox