Author Topic: Caoimhe's Training Diary  (Read 6950 times)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: Caoimhe's Training Diary
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 07:43:47 PM »
Glad it's going well! :D Helen told me about your new addition.
Jeeees, your organised :shades: working to a training plan, I'm well impressed.
The only plan I've ever had for Alfie was in my head and that is as far as it got.
I could be a better trainer I'm sure if i did it properly and introduced a bit more structure.
I'm just not that way inclined.
I start with all good intentions and then it all goes out of the window and off on a tangent. :005:
Still we don't do so bad.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 09:37:28 PM »
I don't think you do too badly Mark!  :P :lol2:

It's a very rough plan as I said, I just tend to be quite disorganised if I don't have a target, however vague, to work towards. I don't expect her to get everything in a certain timescale, a lot of the stuff on week 1's list will be appearing on week 2, 3, 4, 5's.... lists as well :005: 
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline EddieP

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 09:17:34 AM »
That is brilliant Nicola. I'm going to try working from it if you don't mind as our training has become a bit disjointed and disorganised.
Ed, Jo and Alfie

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2009, 09:58:28 AM »
Aww Nic she sounds delightful  :luv:

I take it the move oop nort is on hold? No way could you fit in work whilst training poopie  ph34r :005:

Was going to ask the same thing. So have you heard back from the other companies? Sorr, going off subject a bit here  ph34r

Yeah I've been offered one of the other jobs :D  which is great because it's home based as the main production facility is on South Uist(!) and I don't have to start for another few weeks... woo hoo :lol2:
oh congratulations.  ;) well done you.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2009, 09:59:18 AM »
That is brilliant Nicola. I'm going to try working from it if you don't mind as our training has become a bit disjointed and disorganised.
Having met young Alfie :luv:, I think he needs one to one training attention. :005:
Send him to me immediately. :luv: :luv:

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2009, 11:55:12 AM »

Of course not :D  or as Mark has said you could always just send Alfie to me :005: :005: :luv:

Offline EddieP

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2009, 11:58:33 AM »
Having met young Alfie :luv:, I think he needs one to one training attention. :005:
Send him to me immediately. :luv: :luv:

He he, well if you can get him as well trained as your lot then I might well have to do that!
Ed, Jo and Alfie

Offline EddieP

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2009, 12:01:06 PM »

Of course not :D  or as Mark has said you could always just send Alfie to me :005: :005: :luv:

Alfie is a lucky boy - would you both mind moving a bit closer to Hampshire please  ;)
Ed, Jo and Alfie

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2009, 04:18:38 PM »
errrr tough Mark and Nicola, I'm going to enrol Alfie in Jarv's school of cool  :lol2:
helen & jarvis x

Offline EddieP

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2009, 04:34:51 PM »
It gets even better :D

When does Alfie start the "cool"  :shades: lessons  :lol2:
Ed, Jo and Alfie

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2009, 05:18:23 PM »

any time  :shades:

We'll drag Nic and the crew down from Edinburgh too  :lol2:

Sorry Nic, hi-jacking your thread which is brilliant and which  I am going to print out and keep just in case OH ever relents on Jarv II or Ro II   ph34r

Ever thought of writing a working cocker training guide?  :shades:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2009, 05:31:19 PM »

any time  :shades:

We'll drag Nic and the crew down from Edinburgh too  :lol2:

Sorry Nic, hi-jacking your thread which is brilliant and which  I am going to print out and keep just in case OH ever relents on Jarv II or Ro II   ph34r

Ever thought of writing a working cocker training guide?  :shades:

Thanks hun ;) :-*   Phil will cave, I'll set Ro on him the next time we're down :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 07:16:01 PM »
I've not been very good at updating this ph34r :005:  but Caoimhe is still doing really well. We've got all of her week 1 objectives either down pat or well underway and she's still so keen to learn. She behaved herself really well at the meet up, she was on lead most of the time and then had a bit of a mad runaround with Daisy but didn't go far from me and kept checking in.

In the last week or so we've been working on:
- reinforcing the stop whistle and gradually increasing the distance at which she'll respond
- starting her hunting and looking for things
- working on her sit stay
- working on her 'leave'
- getting her sitting still when something is thrown
- reinforcing everything from week 1 - recall, 'down', 'look' etc.
- a few easy retrieves and introducing her to the rabbit skin dummy
- keep on with the lead walking
- my one 'trick' that I teach - to give her paw :lol2:

She's done really well with all of this. I can now turn my back on her for a few seconds as I walk away and she'll stay put and I can walk in a large-ish circle around her. She will stay sitting for a full minute with me about 20 feet from her so on that score I'm really pleased with her. She's also learning to 'wait' before going through doors, getting out of the car etc.

Her stop whistle is very good and she will now stop instantly to the whistle at a distance of about 5-6 feet from me so I'm building this up slowly and upping the distractions slowly, this is one thing that it's so important to get right!

Her hunting is one of the most important things now, I'm starting off very basically by walking a pattern with her, hiding a few things for her to find and she's picking it up well and starting to now go a few feet out in front of me before I turn quickly and bring her back in the opposite direction. I'm just getting her used to the idea that there are things there for her to find and getting her into using her nose to find them but not to dilly-dally along, she's got a good pace and is still only going a max of about 6 feet from me at any time.

I started reinforcing the 'sit' with me stood about 4 feet from her and I dropped a tennis ball at my feet while simultaneously saying 'sit' and giving the hand signal. The first couple of times she went to move forward and I stopped her and put her back while reinforcing the commands. Within a couple of sessions she would sit still while I stood 10 feet away and threw a ball or a treat in front of me. She will now sit while they are thrown to either side of her and won't move until I release her to get them.

Her recall is still spot on and I'm constantly reinforcing it while she's still in the 'I love you mum!' puppy stage :lol2:  She's recalling to multiple pips on the whistle and will come away from pretty high distractions - people, other dogs, smells etc. Her 'leave' is now pretty reliable and she will look to me when I say it and wait for me to tell her to do something else or give her something else.

I do 2 or 3 retrieves with her twice a week at this stage. She loves it and is a natural retriever but it's the easiest thing to overdo and ruin with a pup. I introduced her to the rabbit skin puppy dummy and she took to it instantly, picked it up with no hesitation and brought it back. I keep my back to a fence or hedge at all times when doing this and her returns are spot on. Her hold is excellent, she doesn't drop or spit out anything, be it a dummy, the rabbit skin or a tennis ball and she will sit in front of me holding it when she brings it back. I'm not interested in her presenting just yet, I just want to keep her fresh and keen to retrieve and to bring it right back to me which she's doing.

Her lead walking is progressing slowly. She's still a bit hit and miss which is fine, she's getting there and will walk pretty well for short periods before she forgets. We practise a lot and she'll get it soon enough. As I thought she is better off the lead than on it!

And finally, I taught her to give her paw simply by sitting on the grass with her with a treat in my closed fist and opening it instantly when she lifted a paw (she tried everything else first :005:) and she's now doing it on command to great effect :lol2: :luv:

I'm going to keep working on this vein for the next couple of weeks and also get her introduced to water soon.

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 07:25:24 PM »
Really impressive Nicola. In all honesty, have you ever thought about becoming a professional trainer? I don't know about Edinburgh and the surrounding area, but there is certainly a gap in the market here....my nearest trainer is 120 miles away, and cos I didn't trust their methods, I travelled all the way to York  :shades: ;)
Sounds like Caoimhe is doing really well...when will she be old enough to go out on shoots?

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2009, 07:39:03 PM »
Yes I have actually, I really love it... maybe watch this space ;) :005:

She won't be shoot ready until next year. I don't believe in rushing them, some folk would probably have her out this year but I wouldn't consider it. Taking a dog out on a shoot too soon is the best way to ruin them! She will be shot over and will be getting plenty of game experience but no actual shoots this year.