Author Topic: Starting some training!! update!!  (Read 7396 times)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: Starting some training!!
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2011, 03:42:11 PM »
I think what this thread shows is there are a number of ways in which you can train this and if something works for the individual then great.
It is every dog trainers perogative to think the way they do things is the right way.
I'm always willing to learn infact I have learned rather a lot from Pauline (Riotous UK) including some rather big words that even she had trouble pronouncing!!! :005: :005:

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2011, 05:58:49 PM »

Not for working, but Honey's retrieve was taught with clicker/treat...  ;)   (We were learning it in an obedience class, but the principle is exactly the same!)
In exactly the way riotous-uk and hanandhen - we first taught a solid hand target, then taught a pick up the dummy, then a bring the dummy in to a hand target, then a release to hand.  This made holding something in her mouth while touching my hand something very rewarding for Honey.  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline riotous_uk

• Druidale GSDs and SWDs
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2011, 06:19:59 PM »

Interesting.  Well, whatever works... But wouldn't it have worked the same way if you had attached the line to the dog?  What made you decide to attach the line to the dummy vs the dog?  I'm just asking out of curiosity since I've never before heard of someone doing this.   
As I said in my previous post, the dog knew when he was on a line and was foot perfect, off the line he legged it with the dummy. Hence the interim step of ahving the dummy on the line ot prevent him from doing that.
Pauline
Member APDT 660
Pawsitively Dogs

Offline praia

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2011, 04:37:15 AM »

Interesting.  Well, whatever works... But wouldn't it have worked the same way if you had attached the line to the dog?  What made you decide to attach the line to the dummy vs the dog?  I'm just asking out of curiosity since I've never before heard of someone doing this.   
As I said in my previous post, the dog knew when he was on a line and was foot perfect, off the line he legged it with the dummy. Hence the interim step of ahving the dummy on the line ot prevent him from doing that.

Yes, I understood perfectly that the dog would run off if he knew there wasn't a line attached.  A lot of people come across this problem and use a check cord attached to the dog.  My question is what was your specific reason for putting it on the dummy instead of the dog, as is the traditional use of a check cord?  I'm not saying what isn't traditional isn't right, I'm just curious if there was a specific reason why you attached it to the dummy instead of to the actual dog? I'm only asking, because if there was something unusual to your specific case, maybe I could learn from it and also use this tactic if ever presented with a similar situation.

I agree with top barks regarding the evolution of this topic.  I don't like to think that my method of training is the right way, just what works for my own dogs and the best I know so far, which is why it is imperative that people share and discuss things like this on open forums so that we can all benefit from each others' knowledge and experiences.

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2011, 05:59:39 PM »
It's very helpful in fact to get different styles because we all find at one point that something isn't working so that's why you seek out another method....the dogs all tick in a different way and it's getting a match to the way they tick that gets you the results.....Finn and Alfie are completely different and what worked for Finn was in no way going to completely work for Alfie who isn't a brave soldier :lol2: ;)  He needed a very gentle and subtle approach :luv:

Offline riotous_uk

• Druidale GSDs and SWDs
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2011, 08:08:55 AM »

Yes, I understood perfectly that the dog would run off if he knew there wasn't a line attached.  A lot of people come across this problem and use a check cord attached to the dog.  My question is what was your specific reason for putting it on the dummy instead of the dog, as is the traditional use of a check cord?  I'm not saying what isn't traditional isn't right, I'm just curious if there was a specific reason why you attached it to the dummy instead of to the actual dog? I'm only asking, because if there was something unusual to your specific case, maybe I could learn from it and also use this tactic if ever presented with a similar situation.

I'm not really sure what you are asking. The dog was foot perfect with a long line on and a git without it. I didnt see any other option than to put the line on the dummy..seemed obvious to me
Pauline
Member APDT 660
Pawsitively Dogs

Offline SkyeandOllie

• Ollie and Jess
Re: Starting some training! update!
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2011, 09:19:09 PM »
Ollie is getting better with the retrieve!  I decided to do some trade training with 2 tennis balls, he'll now come straight back and give my the ball as he sees if he does that I have another one. Tried with a couple of plain dummies today, recalled him, and he brought it back when I recalled him, sat infront of me, still dropped the dummy but atleast hes coming back! He then sits to my right and waits for his next instruction!  I love this little dog  :luv:  (when hes doing as hes asked!)

Offline harveyroan

• little harvey
Re: Starting some training!! update!!
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2011, 10:44:28 PM »
Hi I'm doing something very simular, don't rush this. I'm re-training my dog beacause he spat his retrieve I've kept with the tennis balls and increased the time he holds them when he comes back praiseing him. Then I've got him to sit, lie down, walk to heel while holding. I then tried him with a old sock first time he retrieved it he spat it out, so walked off he soon picked it up and followed when he did told him to hold and praiseed him and success. Next time he didn't spit it out.
You need to get him use to holding different things.

I've been told by several pro gundog trainers the spainels are NOT natural retrievers so don't over do it a couple of retrieves a day and quiet while the going is good keep it short.

It's took me a good few weeks to re-train my dog to retrieve correctly and thats just in the house.

Good luck sound like some good progress :D

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2011, 10:58:08 PM »
I've been told by several pro gundog trainers the spainels are NOT natural retrievers so don't over do it a couple of retrieves a day and quiet while the going is good keep it short.

That might have been true a few years back but not really so much now. You'll always get the odd exception but from the right breeding most of them should have plenty of retrieving instinct nowadays. However I do agree with not overdoing it; Caoimhe is a very natural retriever and always has been but at that age I still only did 3 or 4 retrieves with her every other day or so.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline SkyeandOllie

• Ollie and Jess
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2011, 11:10:09 PM »
Ollie is a very natural retriever, his parents are both good working dogs from FTCHs. I'd say its a very natural instinct for him, saying that, I dont want to over do it with him, so will keep the retrieves for every couple of days 3-4 times at a time

thanks again for all the tips!

Offline harveyroan

• little harvey
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2011, 11:23:52 PM »

That might have been true a few years back but not really so much now. You'll always get the odd exception but from the right breeding most of them should have plenty of retrieving instinct nowadays. However I do agree with not overdoing it; Caoimhe is a very natural retriever and always has been but at that age I still only did 3 or 4 retrieves with her every other day or so.
Yes mine has a great retrieving instinct. Sorry what I meant was their more of a hunting dog/all rounder as opposed to a lab. The first trainer I saw told me to do loads of retrieves as I hadn't been doing enough but she had labs and wasn't a full on gundog trainer. It's only when I met a pro trainer that he told me not to do loads of retrieves and that you can easily spoil a spaniel by doing so as there more of a hunting dog. I've got to say mine does love retrieving but when his nose hit the floor and he's finding a dummy his tail's a blurr :005:

Offline riotous_uk

• Druidale GSDs and SWDs
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2011, 09:00:59 AM »
Excellent news about Ollie :) Well done
Pauline
Member APDT 660
Pawsitively Dogs

Offline SkyeandOllie

• Ollie and Jess
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2011, 09:10:48 PM »
well here he is, carrying his dummy and doing a wonderful sit stay!

still a little too proud, but, we even had a go with the rabbit skin one and he did come back for a trade.  A work in progress!

Offline joanna84

• Daisy
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2011, 09:31:15 PM »
Good for you & clever boy Ollie!!  Woo hoo look at you go!  You must be so pleased with his progress... :D
Daisy will retrieve the ball in the house perfectly but not outside?!  :huh:  I'm not too bothered though....although it does bother me when it is because she is too busy sniffing the place out for fox poo to roll in!!   >:(

Offline nadinie123

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2011, 08:26:03 PM »
Me having a sim ilar problem! You might want to train him the hold or carry trick or fetch. I reccomend the Heather hammonds dog tricks and training book. It has great tricks in, like take my socks off and phones. Reward him when he gives things to you. Happy training