Author Topic: Losing the will to live  (Read 2718 times)

Offline rubyduby

Losing the will to live
« on: October 09, 2019, 07:22:30 AM »
Scratch scratch, rummage rummage, my dog is driving me mad, I am being kept awake constantly by Amber (9mnths) either scratching or as I called it rummaging around her bottom. We seem to have beaten the fleas(for now) but she still has small spots on her inner thighs and in various places around her body , no idea what is causing them. She is on a raw diet albeit occasionally with additional tempters of cooker chicken or beef, as she also is a fussy little beggar. The  vet told me pups don't get allergies s it couldn't be that! really!
So any ideas folks, she  has mainly, from preference, been on chicken or tripe or beef foods, now I am trying lamb and salmon varieties but doesn't seem any better in fact poss worse, so is it a food allergy? maybe no, she does not spend much time (due to weather) in the garden, but has a 2 hr walk daily in the woods/fields locally. She does have worms I am trying a natural remedy at the moment...could this make her itch...but spots? Will probably bite the bullet and use wormer as she has been struggling most of the summer with both fleas and of course worms......help!

Offline Barry H

Re: Losing the will to live
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 08:54:33 AM »
Sorry to hear about your continuing struggle.  Can't be much fun.  I don't know whether Dermacton has been recommended in previous threads but it really is awesome stuff.  Worked for me and maybe worth a try.  It's not soap, but a shampoo bar made with 'naturally derived ingredients'.

When Jack was driving me mad I got both the bar and the spray and only used both once.  The spray is good for 'hot spots' and the bar will literally last for years even if used every year.  Followed the instructions to the letter and couldn't believe how effective it is/was (thanks again Pam!)

Original thread here: http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=119873.0

Make sure to read the reviews: https://www.aromesse.com/skin-problem/Dermacton_Shampoo_Bar.html

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 09:46:49 AM »
Sorry to read you are still suffering. I'm sure I've read there is a connection between fleas and worms, one being a precursor for the other. I would definitely worm her with a a chemical  wormer then maybe do a wormcount sample to see if she is clear.
Some dogs are allergic to chicken I believe due to what the chickens are fed.
Other things suggested for itching that I believe can work are Stinky Stuff, colloidal silver spray and my father in law swore by spraying vinegar.
Keep us updated x
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 11:30:38 AM »
Yes I have tried stinky stuff, and cider vinegar, but her problem doesn't appear to be fleas, tho I will take a much closer look, but she nibbles her thigh edges and feet, must be driving her mad too.

Offline ips

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 12:25:35 PM »
Could it be nettles or something from the wood you go in daily ??
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 11:10:36 PM »
Have you thought of an antihistamine to help with the itching....I know some folk use them for there dogs...just not sure which....think it might be Piriton Liquid
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 02:18:38 PM »
Aaahh well, have to admit to finding two fleas on Amber last night, these could be the culprits, tho its only around 5 weeks since she was treated for them (and the house) so will need to eliminate this problem first

Offline fionad

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 05:56:31 PM »
Please get rid of both pests. Very uncomfortable for your dear dog and can pass on some nasty problems to people too. Your doggie will be much happier once it's done. And it's quick too.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 01:35:11 PM »
Yes I am trying and have been doing so all summer, I have only found 1 flea on Amber so not sure this is the cause of her mad itching, I could understand it when she was averaging 14 a day, thro summer, but not sure fleas are the cause, she was treated (ANd the house) 5 weeks ago???

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 10:09:12 AM »
It really sounds a nightmare....sorry I have no idea what to suggest.....once you have got truly rid of them maybe try a seresto collar and keep it on through the winter, and next time you are at the vets enquire about the tablets that last 3 months called bravecto, I have never used them but my vet does on her dogs, just worry about reactions as Ollie has a sensitive tummy.  Just need to ask if Amber may be sensitive to either products. 

Also last time I was a the vets....glad to say picking up something and minus Ollie ....they were busy spraying and moping everywhere, they had a cat visit and the fleas were jumping......

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline IonaD

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 01:04:18 PM »
I used the Seresto collar and it’s worked an absolute treat for Bella. I use it all year, including winter like you suggested.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 04:41:55 PM »
What are you using to treat?  Once you have an infestation it is imperative that you head to the vet and get the most up to date treatment. For worms as well as fleas. Fleas can be carriers of tapeworms and you need to get rid of them both fast.

Many over the counter remedies no longer work as the fleas are resistant. Sorry to say but many herbal remedies may also not be enough to clear the problem fast and give relief to your dog. Although I use Billy no mates as a preventative to keep Archie tick and flea free, when he picked up a mass of them (from a visit to a 10 cat household) I resorted to the chemicals. I used  simparica (excellent and no ill effects despite scare stories) plus a really careful spray of the whole house and car using 2 cans of Indorex. Expensive but vital to get it into every nook and cranny. I boiled his bedding and also sprayed all of that carefully. The one over the counter treatment that is really worth getting is Johnson’s 4Fleas. It kills all fleas within 15 minutes which can help relieve the bites and immediate itching. It can be used in conjunction with all other flea treatments too. It’s not a long term solution on its own though as it doesn’t deal wi5 the eggs left in the house.
Good luck. It can be a real struggle to be totally free of the little blighters.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2019, 11:45:59 AM »
Simparica fine here too.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.