Author Topic: Crating?  (Read 902 times)

Offline turbobert

Crating?
« on: July 15, 2008, 09:31:46 AM »
It is eight years since we had our last puppy and we are about to take delivery of a new one.  We have two adult dogs who live with the family and are 'pets' but I would like to train the pup more.

So - since our last pup, 'crating' seems to have become very fashionable.  We have never done this - and I can see the positive points eg helps with house training and gives the pup his own space/den!  What is the general view though?.  If we decide to go down that route - what about a canvas 'portable' one that might have a future use as against a wire 'cage'?  What are the advantages/disadvantages - I can imagine that chewing might be a problem.

Offline lopey99

Re: Crating?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 10:02:57 AM »
we have a metal wire crate and its great, we got one that would suit our pup as an adult dog, she looked tiny in it at first but she's fairly filling it out. I personally think they are a great idea, the one we have collapses so its really easy for transporting about, we often go away overnight to stay at our parents and the crate is a godsend.

We have drapped a blanket over ours so its dark and secure and cassie seems to love it. I think the soft ones might be more prone to damage and i know some peoples dogs have been able to undo the zips  :005:

Offline Eceni

• Limited Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 10:05:15 AM »
Ian Dunbar's book, 'Before and After getting your puppy' is probably the master-class in crating... well worth investing in for how best to use them.

(not that it helps find which ones, but all the rest is useful)

good luck

e
"The only requirements for a soft landing (from peak oil) are that power companies tell the truth about their reserves and that Governments act before they have to. I hope this makes you feel safer." George Monbiot

Offline mharriss

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 10:48:45 AM »
Totally agree with Lopey99.  Crates are great - we have a metal one, not seen the others so couldnt comment.  We have one for indoors and a smaller one for the back of the car.  Love them!!!

Offline GinnyB

• Mali, my gorgeous golden girl
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 11:07:57 AM »
I missed out on the crating thing. I think I made a big mistake when I collected Mali from the breeder by putting her (in a secure and comfortable box) into her crate to bring her home, working on the 'start as you mean to go on' theory. The upshot was that she didn't like the noise the crate makes when it rattles so she simply wouldn't go into it when I brought it into the house. She accepts the crate in the car and she never travels anywhere other than in her crate but she has never used on at home. I'm very lucky to be at home full time just now so there have never been any issues with Mali destroying anything as she is with me 24/7. I have left her for short periods on a few occasions with no trouble but I don't know how she would be if I left her for 3-4 hours as I would have to if I worked. Mali is 10 and a half months now and we will be getting a new puppy in a few weeks but I won't be using the crate indoors with her either. I guess it depends on your personal circumstances and preferences. Good luck!
Elsie my beautiful bluey

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 11:32:10 AM »
Just type crate into the search box to see hundreds of messages about why we all love them so much! I tried 4 days with a new puppy and no crate. When the crate arrived from ebay (cheap as chips and great quality - pm me if you want details) our life was transformed.

Pup loved it from day 1 and is so happy and content in there - she will settle in there even when she has worked herself into a frenzy when she is overtired.

Its  definitely worth doing.  Puppy teeth are VERY sharp and Purdey has ripped holes in the little canvas puppy crate we use in the car. Would definitely recommend a wire one, as they are stronger, and allow much better ventilation etc.

Good luck - and cant wait to see pics of your pup!!

PURDEY AND LUNA <3