Author Topic: running up and down repeatedly  (Read 1587 times)

Offline ja01

running up and down repeatedly
« on: January 30, 2019, 11:12:06 AM »
Hi my working cockers is nearly 10 months, even after long walk, if in the garden will just run up and down tracks she’s made repeatedly.Will she tire out of this? when she comes in she continues tracking in the house until I put her in her bed to stay for awhile which then stops it ,until she goes out again!

Offline sodpot2000

Re: running up and down repeatedly
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 02:52:34 PM »
That sounds like a worker needing work. Perhaps time for more mentally demanding jobs/games? Perhaps scent training? They are very bright and have lots of energy which needs an outlet.

Good luck!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 05:18:49 PM »
Hello and welcome to COL  :D

This may sound like an odd question, but does your girl know how to switch off and relax? It doesn't come naturally to many Cockers, especially pups that have lots of stimulation when at home or on walks (busy household, ball chasing on walks as two examples). Long walks may not be a good thing for her at the moment, for two reasons. One is that her growth plates will still be in the process of closing and her bones won't have the density and strength that comes with maturity, so long walks can increase the risk of joint and bone problems from a young age. The second reason is that she may appear to need even more exercise as she becomes used to what she's already doing.

Have you tried giving her a long lasting chew or a kong after a walk? Chewing releases endorphins and helps most dogs to relax, so it may be one way of helping her to chill. Another is to make the last part of the walk a quiet time so she has some time to start winding down before arriving home.

I agree with sodpot2000 as well, that things like scent work, or activities that challenge her brain, can work better than loads of walking, as long as you help her to wind down at the end of the activity.

Offline ja01

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 12:34:45 PM »
thanks for reply, yes she is amazing at finding hidden toy round the house there is now no where she can’t find it. going to a gun dog training club tomorrow for advice and training.

Offline ja01

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 12:48:05 PM »
thanks for reply, yes she has antler and bone type chews. I don’t wind done the walk at the end so will try that. going to gun dog training tomorrow so hope they can help also walks are either a massive pull to scent or distance covered is getting farther there is no way she will stay near, after called in she’s trembling with stamina to race again.Probably i should have put her in crate more when younger as never did (at home all time) and she is only now stopping for a sleep in the day.