Author Topic: End of Days  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Mundyboy

End of Days
« on: March 08, 2018, 04:03:10 PM »
Not to bring a sad note to the board but I recently lost my old boy just shy of his 15th birthday.  I will not dwell on his passing but relate how he was in his last year.  He was a fit boy – only seeing our vet once a year for a check up. I did not have pet insurance for him, preferring to put the equivalent of premiums into a cash ISA.   He was a wealthy boy!  He fed on dry kibble and had dried fish skins for a treat.  He walked twice a day, in National Trust woodland for a minimum of 2 miles each walk.  In his last months he had poor eye sight and hearing and had to walk on a short lead as, thinking he might be alone in the woods, he would often go home and wait for me at the back gate.  He had lumps and bumps, none of which caused him pain and he became stiff legged.  I gave him a supplement for this and that seemed to help.  Before Christmas he was reluctant to eat his three (small) meals a day.  I encouraged him to eat by steaming rice and chicken thighs and, for a treat, a spoon full of tinned rice pudding at bed time.  He lost a third of his body weight.  Both he and I knew he was at the end of days.  I was more reluctant to accept it than he was.  My point is – we all love our dogs.  All the time they are happy and pain free live with the hope of more good times to come.  Once they give up accept it and let them go.  It is hard but fair to your dog.
I have two cockers, both girls.  I have not moved up in the pecking order – in fact it seems I do not get a vote or a say in anything at the moment – a situation I am happy to live with!
I love my dogs.  They make it worth getting out of bed in the morning.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: End of Days
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 04:44:30 PM »
Sorry to hear you had to say goodbye to your boy but what  a lovely inspiring post!!
It is indeed heartwrenching when our beloved companions leave us and how ever prepared we think we are, when the time actually comes, its still hard to come to terms with it.
Your boy obviously had a good long life with you and I do think you‘re wise to be grateful for the many years of happiness you had together instead of dwelling too much on the pain of parting, the good memories you carry in your heart will ensure that your boy is still always with you. . All the best to you and your ladies!  ;) and thanks for posting!

Offline 1sttimecockermum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 05:54:02 PM »
Sorry for your loss of Mundy - I remember you posting about him - one particular story that stuck in my mind was when you got another cocker Jenny? was it ? That Mundy shared his toast with her  :luv: I always thought how sweet that was - Run free Mundy  :luv: :luv:
Owned by Dennis the Menace and Ruby Dooby Doo

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 06:51:39 PM »
Beautiful words and so very true. Mundy, along with rest of the team, made some very special and lasting memories for you. Whilst those are heart rending just now, they will give you comfort too. I am deeply sorry for your loss.

Offline woodlander

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 07:10:09 PM »
I am sorry to hear about Mundy - I too remember your stories of Mundy when Jenny arrived - he was such a gent!
Run free Mundy  :luv:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 07:28:22 PM »
So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Mundyboy

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 08:02:31 PM »
Ah thank you for your replies. Yes I am still a little raw.  Mundy had been with me from eight weeks old and was my best mate. One of my girls is ex rescue cocker, Jenni. (She is 11 so I assume I can write about her here). Mundy gave her confidence to overcome her fear of men and they were good pals. We still share a corner of toast each at breakfast. Little Sophie (also a cocker) just gets onto this board as she is 9. She is an ex rescue who had lost a lot of teeth due to poor diet. She used Mundy as a hot water bottle. Over time I will try to share some of the activities we get up to and things I have learned over many years of being a man servant to Cocker spaniels. Thank you again for you kind words.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 08:49:31 PM »
So sorry to read of the sad loss of Mundy...........what a wonderful life your boy had.  It is hard to say goodbye, but you are right they know and sadly so do we!

Take care of yourself.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 09:36:49 PM »
So very sorry to read about the loss of Mundy  :'( I found it helpful to remember the good times with Ben and to rejoyce at the wonderful years we spent together, and your post reminded me of that. I love the thought of a spoon of rice pudding at bedtime  :luv: its these little routines that make them so special isn't it, I bet Mundy loved that  :luv:

Thinking of you xx

Offline revis

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 06:48:23 PM »
So sorry to hear about Mundy. What a long wonderful long life. It's hard for the one who is left. Jessie a Many Tears girl lost her great friend Maggie last October. Jessie is so timid even after 4 years terrified of most things. She relied on Maggie so much . Happy memories of your dear Mundy.

Offline Mundyboy

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 08:25:10 PM »
Thank you for your kind posts. Because of his weight loss I was happy to feed Mundy rice pudding. He did enjoy his treat. Little Sophie has become very needy since the loss of Mundy and follows me all the time. At bedtime Jenni would wait at the top of the stairs for Mundy (when he was well) and enjoy a mock battle and chase about when he ventured upstairs. Jenni still looks for the old lad and is slow to go to her bed now. We will come through it. Again, thank you.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 09:45:18 PM »
So sorry to read about Munday  :bigarmhug:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline charliesdad

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 10:58:41 PM »
How wonderful. Charlie who died this week was much as your Mundy sounds. So patient caring and loving. When we brought Sophie home from Many Tears he was two and taught her everything. He never had an accident in the house until two days before he died and he was so upset. He olny made 11.5 years so well short of 15.

I know how you are feeling and it will take us all time to grieve and come to terms.

Much love to you all xx

Offline PennyB

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 03:01:45 PM »
This was very much how it happened with Ruby as she had a number of health issues but not life threatening but she had a benign tumour we couldn't remove that spent a year growing on her nose - I spent the year relishing in every day we had left and took her on trips let her eat what she wanted etc. Her death felt right in that the tumour was about to burst so on the day we decided she bounced in to the surgery and was her usual happy self - my only stress and upset was how she went as she fought it so had to be sedated - i didn't really cry as I was upset but very numb (par for the course with me). I did burst into tears the following day though when as I was unlocking my door to let the others in after our walk a rainbow appeared over the house and I knew it was a sign - a sign she was happy. I relish those rainbows on walks and laugh and feel comforted when I see then as I imagine Ruby atop of it

I am about to go through the same again with Lady as she's starting to go downhill but not as well as Ruby was.

(A very belated) sorry to hear about Mundy and hope your grief has lessened none the less
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!