Author Topic: Sweep at the Vets  (Read 4325 times)

Offline woodlander

Sweep at the Vets
« on: August 30, 2018, 01:20:34 PM »
Haven't posted for a while as we've been busy with issues with Sweep's feet, she has deformed front feet and where the pads have grown over the years they can rub against one another and she tends to get red sore patches which can sometimes develop infections, which we seem to have a lot of over this summer.
Anyway about a month ago she went in for a small lump removal (nothing too serious but it was catching and bleeding when she rolled!) the pre-op blood test showed higher than normal liver enzymes so today she has been in for an ultrasound to check things out.
Of course our minds were going into overdrive ..........................need I say more.  ph34r ph34r
Anyway the vet has just phoned to say she cannot see anything especially nasty on the liver and she suspects she might have an underactive thyroid.  This would explain the loss of coat condition (its gone a bit fluffy and there are some rusty brown patches on her back) weight gain and sluggishness that we have noticed in recent months.  So blood test results tomorrow and if not that then she wants to test for Cushings disease.
I guess with either of these it will mean regular medication - anyone had any experience of these recently.  Sweep will be 11 next month  :luv: :luv: :luv:

PS Archie our springer is doing well - he's just a soppy boy dog  :luv: :luv: :luv:

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Sweep at the Vets
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 05:53:59 PM »
our old staffie had cushings. a few years ago now. She remained well on medication. her cause was a tumor on the pituitary gland. I remember the meds were expensive ( over £3 each and 1 a day). At the time we got a lot of info off the internet. Poppy's  symptom was over drinking and peeing lakes of highly diluted pee.
fingers crossed that it is Sweeps thyroid  :luv:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 06:32:27 PM »
Glad the liver is ok, that was a scary one. No experience of thyroid/Cushings but just wanted to wish Sweep well.

Offline woodlander

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 07:18:08 AM »
So the vet has ruled out an under active thyroid.  We are now going to test for Cushings disease which will involve me getting a urine sample - that will be interesting!  Having read a bit more about it Sweeps symptoms seem to fit - fingers crossed we get a firm diagnosis soon
Thanks for your thoughts

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 09:28:51 AM »
thinking about you and Sweep
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 12:42:18 PM »
Keeping everything crossed for you!  :bigarmhug: for Sweep!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 02:25:43 PM »
everything crossed for her - our little oldies are very precious  :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline woodlander

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 07:04:51 PM »
So it looks like Sweep has Cushings disease - her urine sample gave a positive indication.  We are going in tomorrow for the blood test to confirm 😕

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 07:06:42 PM »
Hopefully, once you get mess sorted and things under control Sweep will feel better. Thanks for the update.

Offline woodlander

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 10:05:52 AM »
So the blood test for Cushings was not positive  :-\ so back to the drawing board.  All this started when Sweep had a minor op to remove a fatty lump of tissue on her back and they did a pre op blood test which showed raised liver enzymes.  Sweep  had an ultra sound which shows an enlarged liver but no specific causes for concern ie tumours.

The vet said that the next stage would be to take a biopsy of the liver which is a fairly invasive procedure.  We have decided against this at this stage.  Sweep is lively if a bit slower than in younger days still enjoys going to the beach and chasing the ball, is eating well.  She messes about in the garden and still ?helps? with the gardening.  We do not believe her to be in pain or discomfort.  She is overweight which we are constantly trying to address this (but difficult when OH gives lots of treats  >:D.  Her coat is not quite as shiney as it was but she has been on antibiotics for quite a lot of the summer which might have an effect. 

We will not see her in pain and will do whatever needs to be done but at the moment we think she has been through enough of injections and shaving of fur and blood samples. 
The vet did give her a course of ?liver supplements? which look like they contain milk thistle and I think it it would be good to continue with those.

I suppose I am asking if we?re right not to pursue this raised liver enzyme question further with the biopsy.  At the moment she is living a good & enjoyable life  :luv: :luv:

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 11:53:08 AM »
When you mentioned the rusty brown patches on the coat, it reminded me very much of what Marley's coat has been like for nearly a year.  She is solid black but has been slowly getting rustier and rustier.  She has a bald patch on her tail and she was lethargic on walks, heavier than usual so was tested for an underactive thyroid.  This was found to be the problem and she is now on medication for life.  She is more energetic and has lost some weight but her coat is still changing colour.  I was concerned as there was no improvement in her coat as in addition to the change in colour it feels very harsh/brittle in texture.  She was also tested for Cushings disease but that came back negative.  On the vets advice I started to give her evening primrose oil to improve the dryness of the coat but nothing has really changed.  The vets keep saying give the coat time to go through its cycle of shedding and regrowth but I am not convinced.  Sometimes on our walks now she looks like a brown dog!  Her father was red so i don't know if that makes any different but that wouldn't explain the difference in texture. Marley is now 11 and even though she is enjoying life, I do worry what may be going on inside her as there must be a reason for the change in colour/texture to her coat.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 02:27:15 PM »
Based just on what you have said,  but also admittedly having no experience whatsoever with liver problems, I would tend to agree with your decision. If the vets can?t find anything actually wrong with her and she?s showing no obvious signs of being unwell, apart from the normal slowing down which is to be expected at her age, then I?d also be asking myself if its fair to be putting her through all poking and pulling on the chance they might find something wrong, plus if they do find something, is it likely to be something that could be feasibly be cured? It is a tough call but I think you?re own gut instinct will serve you best.
All the best for Sweep, I do hope she has lots of years helping you in the garden still! Sending  :bigarmhug:

Offline woodlander

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 04:26:09 PM »
Thanks Vixen & Bizzy Lizzie.  Interesting about Marley?s coat I can?t remember about Sweeps father -  her Mum was black as well but that might be a factor.
I think you?re right about gut instinct she is still herself and enjoying life so we will see what happens.  We had a lovely walk on the beach this morning & Sweep did her usual barking/ getting cross with Archie as he was hogging all the balls!!  :005:  they had a nice paddle & run

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 04:36:26 PM »
They are such a worry aren't they !

Dorwest do milk thistle for dogs, not sure how much your vet is charging you so might be worth taking a look.

https://www.dorwest.com/product/milk-thistle-tablets-for-dogs-and-cats/

Gut instinct is so important and you know Sweep better then anyone else, hope sweep continues to enjoy telling Archie off for many years to come   :luv:

Offline woodlander

Re: Sweep at the Vets Update
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 10:26:46 AM »
So following another blood test we have decided to start Sweep on a low dose of underactive thyroid tablets. The vet who is a bit baffled advises that her thyroid readings are at the low end of the range and so this is a bit of a trial. 
We shall see what happens- Sweep still enjoying life ❤️