Author Topic: ( not) sleeping  (Read 2761 times)

Offline millyann

( not) sleeping
« on: December 30, 2021, 09:07:23 AM »
Our boy Carlo is now 12. Since he was a puppy, he has slept in a crate outside our bedroom door - in at bedtime, out in the morning. But the last few weeks he wont settle there - crying and scratching til we let him out then crying and scratching at our bedroom door. Husband won't have him in the bedroom - a red line. I have created a nice new bed for Carlo, tried to settle him with treats, praise - he might sleep there for a couple of hours but then it's back to scratching - basically he just wants to sleep on the floor by me. I have ended up most nights going to the spare bedroom with him and he goes to sleep immediately on the floor. Our dog walker says he is just feeling his age and wants to be near me. But it's a lot of broken nights for me - I am exhausted and have a grumpy husband. Anyone got any advice? - I would just love to get back to him sleeping quietly outside our door but don't know what to do.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: ( not) sleeping
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 09:25:51 AM »
There must be something that is making him extra anxious at night time and needing the reassurance from you. Your dog walker is probably right.

My old dog, Coco, started getting very anxious and restless at night when she became deaf at 12 after sleeping downstairs with no problems her whole life. I tried to persevere with getting her to stay in her own bed, but in the end I had her sleeping with me and she was absolutely fine and slept happily with me until she died at 14.5 years old :luv:  Sometimes things change and you have to relax the rules as our pups get older. If neither of you are getting any sleep, and Carlo is getting distressed, what is the big deal about letting him sleep near you? Maybe get your husband to sleep outside your bedroom  :lol2:
Julie and Watson

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 08:41:30 AM »
My experience with 12 yr old  Marti was the same as Joules .  She had ear trouble that made her dizzy and anxious. She chose to sleep on the floor next to me on a bed beside mine for a couple of weeks . One night she disturbed me at 5am for a cuddle and tail wag, and we both went back to sleep. At 7 am  I realised that she was in the same position  and not breathing.   Terribly sad but a beautiful way to go. I felt comforted that it was so calm and loving.
I ignored Mr Grumpy’s attitude to it and luckily he was away on the last night.  Now, my tiny 5kg rescue always sleeps on the bottom corner of the bed, and the other one joins us for morning tea .
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 03:03:44 PM »
I believe it is all age related, whether there may be some age related deafness, sight, or aches and pains etc he clearly has become more clingy.

My boy is 14 and while he has always been like velcro in his attachment to me he has become 100% more so.  As I type this he is curled up next to me, he wants reassurance that he can see or feel and be close.  His sight is not what it was and he is much deafer than I realised, plus he has medication due to an underlying problem. 

Yes my life has changed by my dog aging but his devotion to me over the years has been unconditional and I will adapt the best way I can to give him a quality of life in his old age and my hubby is aware of this - he is the one who sleeps in the spare bedroom if needed :005:

I know this is not a great answer for you - but the love and closeness that Ollie and I have each day I cherish, and he still finds so much joy in his life and enjoys his little life and I am sure Carlo will.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 09:32:33 PM »
How you getting on millyann? I hope you’re getting sleep.

I think I’d choose the spare room with the dog. I hope my OH never reads this but I think I’d take the view of I’m likely to have less time left with my dog than her and my dog is always happy to see me and doesn’t moan have demanding days.  ;)

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 11:33:20 PM »
Another reason for anxiety and confusion over time of day, is vitamin B12 deficiency.   Low levels can be supplemented with pills or injections .  Topping up can’t do any harm, excess gets wee’d out.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline millyann

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 01:31:48 PM »
Thanks for your replies which have helped me understand him better. We've actually made some progress with him sleeping in his new bed on the landing. The thing that seems to have made a difference is getting a little plug-in night light - like we had when the kids were babies -maybe that helps him feel less anxious in the night. But he's waking up very early, like 5am ( used to sleep til 7 no bother). So still a way to go. I will def try the B12, thank you.