Author Topic: Your advice please on change in reactivity  (Read 1853 times)

Offline BarleyMo

Your advice please on change in reactivity
« on: January 04, 2022, 12:05:35 PM »
Hello everyone, I read a lot on here since we got our lovely dog, unfortunately for him we are novice at dog ownership so sometimes we are a bit clueless. I agree with some other posters that training and advice on other forums are hardly ever with spaniels, so at least here I feel less of an outsider and amongst people who will understand my dog a bit more!

He is 19 months old and not neutered, we are hoping to keep him intact but he has started growling ans snarling and being aggressive to other dogs (and bitches which he never was) even ones he has previously got on well with. Until recently he had the odd one here and there but recently he seems to find truck in most dogs even if they show no interest in him.
Since every day is a new day with him I don't know if this is just a phase which we have to get through with him, at the same time teaching him that it is not acceptable. At the same time I don't know if it is fear/insecurity or protection/guarding me/us or what? We did have an incident a few weeks ago where we/he was confronted in an tight spot by a pack of dogs out[of control] with a dog walker. I found it a bit unsettling and I pulled him off from a large male  lab and the walkers only just managed to get control of the Staffie and the Alsatian... He must has sensed I was afraid, maybe that affected him?
At home he is the calmest, sweetest dog, I love going for walks with him where he is mostly off the lead because he is generally very good.
Your thoughts please. Thank you

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Your advice please on change in reactivity
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 02:46:39 PM »
Poor lad, an experience like that is bound to leave some mark, my dog  has been attacked quite badly on a couple of a occasions and it has definately made him more reactive. I did hope that after he was castrated he‘d become less of a target but by that time, he‘d already learned that attack was the best defence. (I hasten to point out that his castration was for medical reasons, I wouldn‘t have had it done for any other reason and don‘t suggest it as a solution!)
One of the main things to remember is that growling, snarling, barking etc are the dog‘s way of saying „Hey, I‘m not comfortable with this, these other dogs are a threat to me and my human!“ . Rather than admonish  him, try to signal to him „hey, its OK, I can take care of this“ and attempt and get him out of the situation. Try where possible to put distance between your dog and any approaching dogs, - if you‘re walking give them a wide berth (circle around rather than face head on) and put yourself between them - practice walking him on both sides of you, using heel or „right „as a command. You can try distraction e.g. with a ball on a rope or a favourite toy and then praise and reward him for NOT barking, snarling, etc.  If your dog is distracted, he‘s less likely to stare at the other dog and that alone is sometimes enough  to ward off the interest of the opponent.
I know its very hard but do try to stay calm and at least give your dog the impression that you‘ve got control of the situation and he doesn‘t need to be first in line to fight the foe. Try to practise a strategy before hand to deal with a situation so that you‘re prepared - I‘ve had to do that as I tend to panic and then  do exactly the opposite of what I should be doing which is totally contra productive.
I have to conciously brace myself, shoulders back,  head up so that I at least look as if I have it all under control and just hope that the dog‘s fooled enough to calm down  :005:
Best of looked!

Offline BarleyMo

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 01:14:00 PM »
Thank you BizzyLizzy, I'd hoped you'd reply, I like your posts in general. I will persevere, shoulders back! I really don't want to have him 'done' he has a lovely coat and part of his character is his peacockiness :)
I will persevere, shoulders back, chin up and voice pitched at 'isn't this lovely, what a great day' level :lol:

Offline Woolwitch

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 04:55:44 PM »
hi,

I wanted to add my thoughts as some of it echoes what BizzyLizzy says. I am a very nervous dog walker, following one quite bad attack and several other altercations in the park with other dogs, and it has honestly spoilt walks for me. We recently did a few sessions with a trainer, and his advice was to have a couple of 'high-value' balls with us and to use them for scent work in the park (which our dog loves). If and when another dog approaches - especially one you know there may be a problem with - you distract your dog with the ball(s), and at the same time wave away the other dog firmly, and use your voice too. This should reduce the chance of confrontation, as the body language and signals given off will hopefully not be antagonistic. The other HUGE benefit of the scent work is that our dog is always much calmer and better behaved at home when he has tired out his brain - win win!

I hope that helps a bit  :D