Author Topic: Excited Dog  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Louie Soda

Excited Dog
« on: January 16, 2022, 10:49:28 AM »
Hi All, first time posting on this forum as looking for support and help particular for spaniels.
We have had our dog Louie for around 16 months or so, I probably underestimated the training required!
I have struggled for his recall but have just started the training as suggested on this board so hopefully that helps and it’s not to late!
One of the other problems I have is when we let him outside to go to the toilet on our yard or back garden he barks or screens with excitement. Also when we open the front door to go on a walk he screams in excitement for a minute or so, really bad to the point I can only do it at certain times of the day. I am not sure how to control or train this out of him so any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks Paul

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Re: Excited Dog
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 11:54:49 AM »
I used to have this with my 2 previous spaniels as they got SO excited when going out.  To be honest, I think most dogs get excited when they go out though.  It got to the point when I found it difficult to even get their leads on as they were dancing around so much.  >:(  One day I got so exasperated with them that I just threw their leads on the floor and just stood there with my arms crossed.  They immediately shut up and looked at me with amazement,  what was I doing?   :huh:   Then every time I picked the leads up and they got excited I threw them on the floor again.  They soon learnt that if they got excited it got them nowhere.  You do have to be consistent though, any excitement or noise and the lead gets put down.
This worked for me, hope it does for you  :D
Max (GSP)  always in my heart